Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2023, 06:46 AM

372 posts, read 203,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Allianz analyzed more than 1.6 million flight itineraries between five and eight days in length for travel booked between Memorial Day weekend and Labor Day

For Summer 2023

1 Orlando
2 Seattle
3 Honolulu
4 Boston
5 Kahului, Maui
6 NYC
7 LA
8 Las Vegas
9 Miami
10 Portland OR

https://www.allianzworldwidepartners...tinations.html

Where’s Chicago on this list? Despite also being a northern city with nice summers and Lake Michigan activities.

Just recently two UChicago students were shot to death minding their own business. Could you imagine this happening on a regular basis on Harvard’s campus? This is despite UChicago having one of the largest private police forces in the country. I don’t think it’s a myth to say Chicago has a crime problem, a lot of it is even not reported.
I do remember a Barnard student getting stabbed in a NYC park. And, we, unfortunately read about this type of thing happening to students in other parts of the country, as well (Idaho, for example). No one can deny that Chicago, among other cities, has a crime problem. It doesn't, however, stand alone, in this.

This is a thread about city relevance...just because a city shows up on the list above, doesn't make it more relevant than Chicago. (i.e. Orlando, Vegas, etc.). Also, where are NYC, and LA, and SF? Or, is it time to just pick on Chicago? That's kind of what it seems like.

Last edited by Bicala; 05-21-2023 at 07:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2023, 10:06 AM

424 posts, read 465,638 times
Quote:
Allianz analyzed more than 1.6 million flight itineraries between five and eight days in length for travel booked between Memorial Day weekend and Labor Day

For Summer 2023

1 Orlando
2 Seattle
3 Honolulu
4 Boston
5 Kahului, Maui
6 NYC
7 LA
8 Las Vegas
9 Miami
10 Portland OR

https://www.allianzworldwidepartners...tinations.html

Where’s Chicago on this list? Despite also being a northern city with nice summers and Lake Michigan activities.

Just recently two UChicago students were shot to death minding their own business. Could you imagine this happening on a regular basis on Harvard’s campus? This is despite UChicago having one of the largest private police forces in the country. I don’t think it’s a myth to say Chicago has a crime problem, a lot of it is even not reported.
Memorial day weekend flight activity..?? Seriously? That is such a narrow snap shot of places people visit for leisure, not business, during a single weekend. That's why you see large cities like NYC and LA along side a small town like Kahului, HI.

Chicago's absense from this list means nothing about its economic and cultural influence. I mean, San Francisco and Dallas are absent from the list as well...does that mean they are wasteland cities with waning influence??

Chicago has problems, like every other place in the world, but it's far from the image the conservative media portray it to be. Every city has increasing problems with crime.. it's not an issue unique to Chicago, it's happening all over the US.

If you Google any city in the US and click on the "News" tab, it will be dominated by reports of violent crime. This goes for New York, LA, Houston, Atlanta, Miami, you name it.

Old 05-21-2023, 10:16 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
Well the data is Memorial Day through Labor Day, essentially the summer vacation period. And 1.6 million visitors is a fairly large snapshot, albeit a curated one for people who use travel insurance on flights. So there will be blind spots, but it seems a decent way to view the cities on the list (and a bad way to view cities not on the list).

Seattle does feel high. Certainly the Alaska cruise industry isn’t more robust than the Caribbean. But Maui, Oahu, and Orlando being 3 of the top 5 feels spot on.

Old 05-21-2023, 10:18 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_arkitect View Post
Memorial day weekend flight activity..?? Seriously? That is such a narrow snap shot of places people visit for leisure, not business, during a single weekend. That's why you see large cities like NYC and LA along side a small town like Kahului, HI.

Chicago's absense from this list means nothing about its economic and cultural influence. I mean, San Francisco and Dallas are absent from the list as well...does that mean they are wasteland cities with waning influence??
Read that again. It's the entire summer from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day. I'm just saying for a city that thinks it's #3 all the time, it doesn't crack the top 10 in summer flight destinations despite having pretty nice summers on the lake and a ton of museums. If Chicago can't make that up in the summer, you think it does better in the winter?

SF's absence does say something about SF.

Old 05-21-2023, 10:29 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Read that again. It's the entire summer from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day. I'm just saying for a city that thinks it's #3 all the time, it doesn't crack the top 10 in summer flight destinations despite having pretty nice summers on the lake and a ton of museums. If Chicago can't make that up in the summer, you think it does better in the winter?

SF's absence does say something about SF.
I do think Chicago is a bit depressed due to Midwesterners being more liberal with what driving distances are. I think many more people would drive from St Louis to Chicago than Philly to Boston and Honolulu up there on the list because basically nobody is within driving distance of that place. Flying is 100% market share

Old 05-21-2023, 10:48 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
And Hawaii is expensive tickets, which will definitely be more likely to be insured.

Old 05-21-2023, 10:52 AM

5,469 posts, read 3,913,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2021 View Post
I don’t understand the people that are saying Atlanta is fading. Yes, Raleigh, Charlotte, and Nashville give it great competition, but none of those cities match it’s numerical growth year over year nor the economy it has. The Atlanta metro passed Miami in population and is on its way to passing Philadelphia if it hasn’t already. In addition, the GDP is on the verge of passing Philly as well. Atlanta is ascending, not descending. I am a native of Atlanta who currently lives in Charlotte. While Charlotte and Raleigh are ascending too, neither cities are ascending in relevance as Atlanta. Movies, tv shows, music, sports, politics, the power of Blacks, Asians, Hispanics, and other races are on the rise in the area and there is no other city in the southeast, outside of Miami, that can match its diversity. That is why the political universe descended upon Atlanta during to 2020 presidential race and senate race. Just because some other cities in the southeast are rising doesn’t mean that Atlanta is stagnant or fading. And the talk about Dallas being more relevant than Atlanta is heresy. Atlanta is in everything, especially tv, music, and anything related to black people. Atlanta is the number one destination for black people and has been for a while now. Do not take away all of the great things Atlanta has going for it. It is still relevant and is still the most prominent city in the Southeast and that won’t be changing anytime soon. Raleigh has to catchup to Nashville and Nashville has to catchup Charlotte, and Charlotte has to catchup to Miami before they can claim any type of prominence! All are below Atlanta in relevance in my opinion and that won’t be changing anytime soon.
The bolded doesn't really have any bearing on the rise (or fall) of Atlanta...Georgia just so happens to have emerged as a battleground/'purple' state, and so it's going to continue to get undue attention in 2024 and beyond. And the two Senate races were looked at as crucial for the Dems to potentially gain a majority in the Senate (which they essentially have now, given that there are 48 Dems and 3 Independents who caucus with the Dems). In 2024 (and earlier, as in, later this year), the 'political universe' will descend on places like Milwaukee and suburban Philadelphia, simply because they're in battleground states that will decide the next presidential election, not for any other reason.

Old 05-21-2023, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I think the “pushing Atlanta” back is where I see the issue. In 1990, Atlanta was the 12th largest metro in the country (behind Seattle incidentally). In 2000, it was 11th. Now it will be 7th with next year’s estimates. It was never in that stretch bigger than Houston or Dallas-Ft. Worth.

I think what’s happening is some people are discussing the media perception. Atlanta was likely the fastest large-city grower in the 90s after Phoenix. It was therefore used as everywhere and by everyone as the standard for Sun Belt growth, and the shine of the Olympics and the Braves and Turner was a strong halo effect. Now Florida and Texas are the media’s shiny objects. Not without reason, as those places are definitely leading the growth in a post-pandemic world. But Atlanta’s pop into the mainstream of America’s large cities was a generation ago, and now it’s simply part of the conversation. So on that narrow front I could see an argument that it’s declining. But I think it’s misleading and a mistake to view it through that lens alone.
The population of the city of Atlanta itself declined from 495k in 1970 to 394k in 1990. By 2000, it had rebounded all the way up to 416k. I'm going to have to research some sprawl metrics here, but I feel like ATL has to be up there with Houston, Dallas, and Phoenix for sprawl just based on the fact that the city itself didn't really see substantial growth until the 2010s

Old 05-21-2023, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
How come Rochester is on here twice?
Its decline has been just that severe...

His list is good; just needs to replace one of the Rochesters with Scranton

Old 05-21-2023, 02:41 PM

221 posts, read 114,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I’ll tackle most of this comment later but it just seems like you haven’t been around here or even follow development news at all. First off, it’s not just the east side that’s improved, the entire city has. West End is getting new office development and a food hall, it already has two breweries. Westview is almost gentrified at this point. Adair Park, Capitol View, Summerhill, Peoplestown, Chosewood Park, and Boulevard Heights are all getting tons of new apartments, townhomes, and retail. Bankhead has $500K townhomes now and is slated for a huge TOD at the MARTA station. College Park, East Point, and Hapeville are booming as well and the white population (which honestly I don’t really understand your comment about whites not being comfortable in the city to begin with) has only grown in the city. Rental occupancy in the city is above 90% and new townhomes are selling out before construction. This notion that the city has languished is just incorrect.
Its always someone taking it too personal. So many comment on here said my city was losing relevance (it is what it is...Philly). I been there a million times, I follow the place, my folks live out in Paulding before that Douglas. I follow the place second to my own (and maybe NYC)...so I love Atlanta in a million ways, but I can find room for criticism as I do my own.

And I know a few other places have improved; and I can also see a million hoodvlogs that show many parts have not, and even more complaints, some dog whistles for sure, about the current "culture" in the city; it is what it is. Just like large swaths of Philly. Its not personal. I know yall laugh at us for Kensington.LOL!

And again, I DID NOT say whites were not comfortable in the city, I was looking at the numbers and finding an explanation for the slowdown in growth of the white population. I never said whites were uncomfortable in Atlanta; just asking if there were a possible backlash to the huge growth in minorities the last 30 or so years in Atlanta....which whites are prone to do.

And when your city set the bar, in fact became the poster boy for sunbet rapid growth, you live by that and are judged by that....and when it slows it shows, because we are so used to massive growth and big things from Atlanta over the years...I mean come on your city did the Olympics as what, the 7-10th largest city in the Country, that's unprecedented. Again, your city is the only Southern city that built a whole subway system....in the 70s! Built your 8 tallest buildings (all over 600 feet) between 1976-1992.

Yall did all that, and now your trying to sell me on a food hall and some apartment complexes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City