Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Cheap City in the Midwest/Plains
Des Moines 6 17.14%
Milwaukee 14 40.00%
St Louis 15 42.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 08:54 AM

1,351 posts, read 894,489 times

Advertisements

I have a really high affinity for all of these cities. I lived in Des Moines for 3 years, and visit St Louis and Milwaukee quite a bit.

It's extremely easy to avoid the high crime and run down parts of St Louis and Milwaukee, and while St Louis has some truly bombed out parts on the north side, much of the city is beautiful and vibrant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2023, 09:21 AM

1,068 posts, read 785,900 times
The comment about lack of lakes and recreation is hilarious Milwaukee is literally adjacent to one of the largest lakes in the world, LOL. It even has beaches and views that one could easily mistake for ocean. These cities also have rivers, and generally there are reservoirs within easy driving distance of one needs more lakes.

The rivers, climate, parks, public art remind me somewhat of continental Europe. Sure, the built environment is different, but the Midwest has it's own cool vibe with plenty of pre WWII brick and Art Deco.

I say this as a born and raised Californian: the main reason the Midwest is looked down upon is old fashioned snobbery and a mid-twentieth century cultural obsession with the beach and surf culture due in large part to SoCal influence via the entertainment industry. Personally, I don't really enjoy laying out in the sun destroying my skin, and while suntans look attractive when young, it ages you quickly and there are a lot of weird leathery looking people in CA that aren't that old.

We're in Idaho for now because we love the mountains and because Boise is a great city. But as our kids get closer to adulthood I've encouraged them to consider Midwestern cities as great places to get established and raise a family.

Oh, and I would add Omaha to your list.

Last edited by AnythingOutdoors; 05-10-2023 at 09:43 AM..

Old 05-10-2023, 10:38 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,278,237 times
I lived in the northern suburbs of Indianapolis for years.

It's a great bargain for the quality of life.

The problem is that it's in Indiana. Growing up in the mountains of Tennessee, the weather there is terrible - grey all winter, colder than TN, hotter in the summer than TN, very little access to nature.

Old 05-10-2023, 11:14 AM

4,232 posts, read 2,456,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
^ Fixed for you via edit. In St. Louis City the northern 1/3 of the city is a bombed-out wasteland whereas the central 1/3 and southern 1/3 of the city proper have a lot of solid neighborhoods.
Yeah, I agree. I spent the night in the Soulard neighborhood once and it is quite charming. Too bad it is partially ruined by the mess of highway spaghetti.

Old 05-10-2023, 03:08 PM

374 posts, read 257,722 times
I'd go with Milwaukee. Great food and proximity to Chicagoland.

Old 05-11-2023, 08:01 AM

1,351 posts, read 894,489 times
Omaha, KC, and Tulsa should all be in consideration too.

Old 05-12-2023, 08:02 AM

372 posts, read 203,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
As much of a mess as STL is, I would still choose it over Milwaukee or Des Moines. I really like the built environment of STL- nice brick instead of ugly vinyl buildings everywhere. At least, in the intact neighborhoods. Many areas of STL look like Mordor.
Excuse me, but Milwaukee has its own brick...Cream City Brick. It's used all over Milwaukee and in other cities. Here's a link to some pictures.

https://www.google.com/search?q=crea...ih=717&dpr=1.1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream_City_brick

https://www.milwaukeemag.com/cream-c...ilt-milwaukee/

Old 05-12-2023, 08:28 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,753,287 times
Architecture is one of my favorite things about Milwaukee.
Same with St. Louis.
Des Moines lags, but it’s still a nice, pleasant-looking area.

Old 05-12-2023, 08:29 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,753,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
Omaha, KC, and Tulsa should all be in consideration too.
Agreed.
Most cities in the region are pretty cool.

Old 05-12-2023, 08:48 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,006,134 times
If you want a city that's warmer go with St Louis. However out of those choices I'd go with Milwaukee. That said, I agree with the above poster regarding Indy (where we live currently). It's probably one of the most affordable midwestern cities. Public transit isn't the best but depending on where you live you could definitely make it work without a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City