Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2023, 12:21 PM

6,541 posts, read 12,037,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I would mention that if you went to Nashville and just hit lower Broadway and all the "sights," you didn't really see Nashville. Nashville's becoming a good jobs/tech/strong draw for higher earners destination, with a very diverse economy.

The lower Broadway area has become quite a bit of a circus though, with all the raging, screaming bachelorette party buses and "booze cycles" going around everywhere. That part of Nashville is annoying and crazy over the top, to be frank.

But locals would not be hanging out down there much at all.

It's like if someone visits Las Vegas and just goes to the strip, or visits here in New York and just goes to Times Square, they'd not be too impressed on quality of life for either city.
Yeah, that was my impression of Nashville, all the "woo-ing" from those open-air bachelorette party buses at 3 in the morning while I was trying to sleep. I did like Midtown area like the Parthenon/Centennial Park, it was a lot more quiet. But then again that's another site that draws tourists.

Old 05-12-2023, 12:26 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
This, 100%.

Atlanta traffic is some of the worst in the nation--consistently. I lived in Alpharetta years ago--right out of college in 1999-2001. I drove into downtown each day for work along 400. Back then it could be a parking lot.

Flash forward 20+ years and a million+ more people in the metro area, with minimal work done on the roads, and zero MARTA expansion (rail), and Atlanta is so much worse with traffic.

Nashville is getting bad, but nowhere near Atlanta's traffic woes.

Comparing a 2.1 million metro to a 6.2 million metro is apples and oranges, traffic-wise.
I agree. Atlanta traffic is miserable. MARTA needed expanded 20 years ago. Also needs an outer belt like I-840 in Nashville or I-275 in Cincinnati. I-285 is just not enough considering how large the region is and travelers on the way down to Florida having to drive through downtown.

Old 05-12-2023, 01:58 PM

374 posts, read 257,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Which Nashville might have more of it than one might think. Personally I'd go with Alpharetta, and not because I'm biased living in the Atlanta metro. I visited Nashville once for a weekend and honestly I wasn't too impressed with it. I can see how it can be fun for a young single post-grad bachelor/bachelorette looking to party on weekends.

Traffic is still not that bad in the Nashville metro. Road system isn't the greatest, but certainly better than many metro areas.

Old 05-13-2023, 08:45 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,005,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
The north Atlanta suburbs are great but traffic there is magnitudes worse than Nashville traffic.
You're talking about suburbs compared to an entire city. Nashville's traffic issues were a serious problem 8 years ago when we left (we lived there for roughly 6 years). I believe the statistic at the time was that 800 people daily were moving to the area and it hasn't slowed down from my understanding. My friends that live there have told people, please don't move here, we're full! The infrastructure of the city was never built to handle the large influx of residents that have moved there. I'm sure that traffic in and around the Atlanta suburbs is bad but worse than Nashville?... I'm not sure if I'd wager that. On top of that you don't have any usable public transit outside of the downtown area. They were going to build that light rail system a few years back but tax payers shot it down.

Old 05-13-2023, 09:32 AM

592 posts, read 589,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
You're talking about suburbs compared to an entire city. Nashville's traffic issues were a serious problem 8 years ago when we left (we lived there for roughly 6 years). I believe the statistic at the time was that 800 people daily were moving to the area and it hasn't slowed down from my understanding. My friends that live there have told people, please don't move here, we're full! The infrastructure of the city was never built to handle the large influx of residents that have moved there. I'm sure that traffic in and around the Atlanta suburbs is bad but worse than Nashville?... I'm not sure if I'd wager that. On top of that you don't have any usable public transit outside of the downtown area. They were going to build that light rail system a few years back but tax payers shot it down.
I’m a born and raised Nashvillian that currently lives in Atlanta but visits Nashville often and let me tell you, Atlanta got Nashville beat on traffic by a mile. Of course Nashville’s infrastructure needs to be updated and yes it’s having issues handling it’s growth(what fast growing city isn’t?) but Atlanta is a metro of over 6 million and while the city has transit in the inner city, it’s next to non existent outside the core and needs to be expanded. For a large metro this area needs to have efficient transit not just in the inner city but all the suburbs, primarily because most of Atlanta’s population lives outside I-285 in the suburbs. Atlanta’s city population is small in comparison to it’s own suburbs.

As I mentioned try driving on I-285 during the week, heck any interstate in and around Atlanta during the week rush or weekend and get back to me. Most people who complain about Nashville traffic hadn’t experienced truly bad traffic.

Last edited by jkc2j; 05-13-2023 at 09:48 AM..

Old 05-13-2023, 01:11 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Quote:
Simply put, Atlanta's population of 6.2 million will be much worse, traffic-wise, than Nashville's population of 2.1 million.

Atlanta's traffic is terrible.

Compounding their issue, is that only 500k of the metro area lives within the Atlanta city limits, which is mostly within I-285 (approximately).

The rest of the roughly 5.7 million people live in sprawling, vast suburb after suburb surrounding the Atlanta city core.

MARTA pretty much only services the city of Atlanta--and goes a bit beyond the city limits in some areas. MARTA also has very low ridership in general, and has not been expanded (rail) in 25 years almost.

Meanwhile, the population of metro Atlanta has grown by 1.2 million people+ -- and almost as many cars--during that time.

Alpharetta is a beautiful area, but if someone moves there commuting into the city of Alanta everyday, it will grow old fast and will be a huge headache coming and going. The Nashville suburbs are not nearly as congested with traffic at all, just due to far fewer people and far fewer suburbs.

**actually, an edit I had to make. From the 2000 census to the 2020 census, Atlanta metro area grew by almost 2 MILLION people, not the 1.2 I mentioned, above.

Year Metro Pop % growth
2000 4,112,198 38.9%
2010 5,286,728 28.6%
2020 6,089,815 15.2%

Old 05-13-2023, 03:01 PM

Quote:

Feel free to drive through the Atlanta metro area and see for yourself. Consider that the traffic conditions are better now than pre-covid.

Old 05-13-2023, 03:58 PM

6,541 posts, read 12,037,130 times
Quote:
Nashville in the future might be what Atlanta is today, especially with the similar attitude towards expanding transit if not worse. If it keeps growing the rate it's been, it might gain a few million over the next few decades. I agree the traffic isn't nearly as bad as Atlanta's, but is more than you would expect for a smaller metro.

Old 05-13-2023, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Nashville in the future might be what Atlanta is today, especially with the similar attitude towards expanding transit if not worse. If it keeps growing the rate it's been, it might gain a few million over the next few decades. I agree the traffic isn't nearly as bad as Atlanta's, but is more than you would expect for a smaller metro.

Anything is possible. They would need a lot more diversity there to become anything close to Atlanta.

I think there is a limit on how big the growth will be due to stiff competition from other areas of the Sunbelt (and also from within the state itself).

Old 05-13-2023, 04:22 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
This thread has gone way beyond what the OP asked. Time to close it.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City