Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2023, 07:36 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,993,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Which is idiotic because Seattle is a much nicer city in first half of 2023 than in first half of 2022, and was the fastest growing major city in the US through 2022.

US Census data for 2022 population growth
Yeah I noticed that too. I'm not really sure what's going on, Seattle growing defies all the trends of the past couple years (look at Portland and Oakland near the bottom of the list). All I can think of is that the government is so well-known for being progressive now, everyone who would've left already has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2023, 07:37 PM

118 posts, read 48,644 times
Rochester and Buffalo are 26th and 27th, respectively in the report. Upstate N.Y. cities take big hits for abundant snow and higher than average taxes, but on balance these 2 cities along with Syracuse #22 and Albany #17 offer a lot in terms of legacy amenities, outstanding beautiful natural surroundings, their unique identities, affordability, and at least decent (sufficiently broad) if not robust employment sectors.

They may not perform at the top of many categories, but they do surprisingly well across the board on a lot of criteria to garner quite respectable rankings despite some (outside as well as some local) unfavorable perception of their present and future viability.

That all 4 of these cities placed in the top 30 perhaps is testament to just how formidable the Upstate region N.Y. region is as a whole at a time when according to some it is no longer considered relevant.

Old 05-18-2023, 08:23 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,846,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Yeah I noticed that too. I'm not really sure what's going on, Seattle growing defies all the trends of the past couple years (look at Portland and Oakland near the bottom of the list). All I can think of is that the government is so well-known for being progressive now, everyone who would've left already has.
The caveat would be Seattle shrunk a bit in 2021. So when looking at percentage change since the 2020 census, Charlotte, Jacksonville, and Fort Worth all grew much faster. But it and Miami grew about the same, which is a feat all its own.

Old 05-18-2023, 09:10 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
I don't think progressiveness has much to do with people leaving--rather the chance to work remote and keep their high paycheck while being in different scenery--at least that's what I get from the Bay Area. The people I know that left during the pandemic didnt move as political statements, I actually cant think of one person who moved for that reason. It was wanting to be somewhere slower, or closer to their family, start somewhere new, etc.

However, it feels like the number of people leaving has stopped.

Old 05-18-2023, 10:36 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
Quote:
Seattle benefits by having the state flagship university right in the city proper and there’s really no other academic competition in the entire PNW region. It also has the only level 1 trauma center across like 5 states. So it draws a domestic and global population in good or bad times. It’s one of those metro areas where almost all the non-nature amenities are concentrated in the city proper and not the suburbs (although Bellevue is changing that a little now).

So while the politics are a mess and homeless is an issue across the I-5 corridor, it’s got other things going for it. It has no competition in the entire PNW. Portland and SF being bigger shtshows also makes Seattle more attractive for liberal-minded people with a little more sanity.

Last edited by Guineas; 05-18-2023 at 10:45 PM..

Old 05-19-2023, 12:17 AM

6,376 posts, read 4,993,181 times
Quote:
Seattle benefits by having the state flagship university right in the city proper and there’s really no other academic competition in the entire PNW region. It also has the only level 1 trauma center across like 5 states. So it draws a domestic and global population in good or bad times.
Eh... Universities are a bringer of transience; they attract people but people also leave (although maybe given the job opportunities in Seattle, fewer UW students leave than say UO students). And college enrollment is declining in the US, so the graduating class of each year will be larger than the matriculating class.

Quote:
It’s one of those metro areas where almost all the non-nature amenities are concentrated in the city proper and not the suburbs (although Bellevue is changing that a little now).
This is true, although even the suburbs are growing faster than say Portland's suburbs (although the gap is smaller than between the cities).

Quote:
So while the politics are a mess and homeless is an issue across the I-5 corridor, it’s got other things going for it. It has no competition in the entire PNW. Portland and SF being bigger shtshows also makes Seattle more attractive for liberal-minded people with a little more sanity.
Yeah, I'd buy that you guys are sapping people from here and Portland.

Actually I wonder how much Seattle is becoming known as a city that non-elites can afford to live in, because it's been fairly successful in building housing (the way DC is). Especially with the highest minimum wage in the nation. I often recommend people struggling in life and looking to move pick Seattle, for these reasons.

(Null hypothesis: it's just return-to-office at tech companies + unreliability of Census Bureau estimates)

Old 05-21-2023, 08:30 AM

208 posts, read 145,864 times
Quote:
It also has the only level 1 trauma center across like 5 states.
According to wikipedia, Washington state (Seattle) has one level 1 trauma center at 400 beds, while Oregon (Portland) has two level 1 trauma centers, each with 550+ beds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Old 05-21-2023, 11:31 AM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
It's really four....Harborview Medical Center also serves trauma patients from Alaska, Idaho, and Montana.

Old 05-21-2023, 01:11 PM

1,320 posts, read 866,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomelo View Post
According to wikipedia, Washington state (Seattle) has one level 1 trauma center at 400 beds, while Oregon (Portland) has two level 1 trauma centers, each with 550+ beds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States
Yeah, was going to bring up OHSU, which is definitely a Level 1 Trauma center.

Also U of O is a great school. US News ranks it in the top 50 public universities. UW is not the only great university in the PNW. Reed and Lewis & Clark are well regarded liberal arts schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City