Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City grows first?
Pittsburgh 42 45.65%
Cleveland 5 5.43%
Baltimore 12 13.04%
Hartford 6 6.52%
St Louis 9 9.78%
Milwaukee 11 11.96%
None 7 7.61%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2023, 06:19 AM

14,023 posts, read 15,032,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
What about Milwaukee? Does anyone have some insight to Milwaukee?
Well Milwaukee is looking into removing I-794 so that might help push Downtown to a true destination above its Midwest competition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2023, 06:50 AM

211 posts, read 120,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Well Milwaukee is looking into removing I-794 so that might help push Downtown to a true destination above its Midwest competition
I think that would be a very smart decision. The third ward and some of the areas right west of the river are already great. Connect that to the main parts of downtown more and then connect Walkers Point More and you'll have one of the best downtowns in the country.

Old 06-24-2023, 06:53 AM

4,213 posts, read 3,300,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Pittsburgh has plenty of "quality" suburbs if you're looking for like a safe area with "good schools." Where we're lacking is in upper-middle class areas outside of the city with a walkable town center - in part because Squirrel Hill is within city limits and has essentially filled that function for generations.
You seem to have forgotten about Dormont.

Old 06-24-2023, 09:37 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,775,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Yeah there are actually a lot of them in the Pittsburgh area - people on here tend to compare to the city so if its not as walkable as Pittsburgh CITY neighborhoods they don't list them as walkable. but many of Pittsburgh's suburbs are almost as urban or more urban than sunbelt 'urban' hoods. Dormont, Mt Lebanon, Bellevue, Avalon, Carnegie, and Greensburg are just a few examples of generally middle class fairly dense non-sprawly suburbs around Pittsburgh. These are actually more dense than many sunbelt core urban areas! Oakmont and Sewickley I consider upper class, but otherwise they would fit too. Most metros of the same size probably could not list 2 or 3 let alone the amount that the Pittsburgh area has

Cities suburban areas across the US just tend to be overrated on this site - I really don't get what is so special about the ones most people constantly talk about. Visited many of them and felt like huh? this is it?? Pittsburgh has plenty of good suburbs, even compared to non rustbelt metros.

Last edited by _Buster; 06-24-2023 at 09:52 AM..

Old 06-24-2023, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Yeah there are actually a lot of them in the Pittsburgh area - people on here tend to compare to the city so if its not as walkable as Pittsburgh CITY neighborhoods they don't list them as walkable. but many of Pittsburgh's suburbs are almost as urban or more urban than sunbelt 'urban' hoods. Dormont, Mt Lebanon, Bellevue, Avalon, Carnegie, and Greensburg are just a few examples of generally middle class fairly dense non-sprawly suburbs around Pittsburgh. These are actually more dense than many sunbelt core urban areas! Oakmont and Sewickley I consider upper class, but otherwise they would fit too. Most metros of the same size probably could not list 2 or 3 let alone the amount that the Pittsburgh area has

Cities suburban areas across the US just tend to be overrated on this site - I really don't get what is so special about the ones most people constantly talk about. Visited many of them and felt like huh? this is it?? Pittsburgh has plenty of good suburbs, even compared to non rustbelt metros.
Dormont is twice as dense as Pittsburgh.

Old 06-24-2023, 02:11 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,038,833 times
Quote:
Dormont is great, but it's not upper middle class, even if it is skewing a bit more upscale in recent years.

Old 06-24-2023, 02:18 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,976,309 times
I think Baltimore has the most potential for future growth due to its location on the east coast.

Pittsburg has a lot of potential but hasn't moved the numbers yet in its favor.

St. Louis has to find a way to get out of its own way and when it does, it will be a force to be reconned with.

None of the cities listed has the potential of growing in the way "Austin" has. None of them will put up the incentives nor has the fresh canvas that sun belt cities have had.

I vote neither because its tough to predict the future with the way the economy and the world is moving forward today.

Old 06-24-2023, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I think Baltimore has the most potential for future growth due to its location on the east coast.

Pittsburg has a lot of potential but hasn't moved the numbers yet in its favor.

St. Louis has to find a way to get out of its own way and when it does, it will be a force to be reconned with.

None of the cities listed has the potential of growing in the way "Austin" has. None of them will put up the incentives nor has the fresh canvas that sun belt cities have had.

I vote neither because its tough to predict the future with the way the economy and the world is moving forward today.
If "location on the east coast" hasn't helped Baltimore in the last 70 years, why would it now?

Are people in large numbers going to have the sudden revelation, "whoa, you never said anything about this Baltimore place being on the east coast! I'm in!"

On the contrary, Baltimore's population decline despite its incredibly favorable location should be seen as an indicator that future growth might be more of an uphill battle than the others.

Old 06-24-2023, 07:42 PM

14,023 posts, read 15,032,674 times
Quote:
If "location on the east coast" hasn't helped Baltimore in the last 70 years, why would it now?

Are people in large numbers going to have the sudden revelation, "whoa, you never said anything about this Baltimore place being on the east coast! I'm in!"

On the contrary, Baltimore's population decline despite its incredibly favorable location should be seen as an indicator that future growth might be more of an uphill battle than the others.
I think that exact location is less important in the times of hybrid work. Living in Baltimore and commuting to DC 5 times a week is unreasonable. 2 times? Pretty reasonable.

DC unlike other east coast cities is keeping up with Demand so it’s not seeing the overflow Providence or Worcester or even NNJ is.

Old 06-25-2023, 10:46 AM

3,543 posts, read 2,332,041 times
Quote:

The population loss really has to do with one group leaving en masse and to be fair, outside of NYC all the major Bos-Wash corridor cities are below their peak populations and all are struggling to retain population now so that's not saying much.

Last edited by Joakim3; 06-25-2023 at 10:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City