Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City grows first?
Pittsburgh 42 45.65%
Cleveland 5 5.43%
Baltimore 12 13.04%
Hartford 6 6.52%
St Louis 9 9.78%
Milwaukee 11 11.96%
None 7 7.61%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2023, 04:15 PM

37,225 posts, read 39,488,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
The population loss really has to do with one group leaving en masse and to be fair, outside of NYC all the major Bos-Wash corridor cities are below their peak populations and all are struggling to retain population now so that's not saying much.
I'm not sure if they are *all* struggling to retain population in terms of net population gain and loss. There's a lot of flux and uncertainty from the census being conducted partly during the pandemic and the near term effects of it and estimates are from a year ago. For Baltimore though, DC going from strong growth to uncertainty might mean less people searching for more affordable urban living in Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2023, 04:53 PM

3,555 posts, read 2,344,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm not sure if they are *all* struggling to retain population in terms of net population gain and loss. There's a lot of flux and uncertainty from the census being conducted partly during the pandemic and the near term effects of it and estimates are from a year ago. For Baltimore though, DC going from strong growth to uncertainty might mean less people searching for more affordable urban living in Baltimore.
2021-2022 Population change *estimates*

DC: +3,012
Boston: - 3,831
Baltimore: -7,050
Philly: -22,222
NYC: -123,104

There all struggling right now.

Regarding the DC slowdown, what goes on in the district historically has virtually zero effect on what goes on in Baltimore (proper) from a housing perspective.

Last edited by Joakim3; 06-26-2023 at 06:00 PM..

Old 06-26-2023, 06:09 PM

Quote:

Regarding the DC slowdown, what goes on in the district historically has virtually zero effect on what goes on in Baltimore (proper) from a housing perspective.
Yea, I was saying there's a lot of flux so I'm not sure if those numbers are a good representation of how things are like today and for the near future. I know that NYC has seen its rent prices over the last year skyrocket while residential construction continues and so it'd hard to tell if it's really struggling in regards to population growth.

I know that historically the district has virtually zero effect on what goes on in Baltimore proper from a housing perspective, but in regards to a turnaround for Baltimore, I don't think it's been that uncommon in more recent years to consider if continued price increases in DC might mean people looking for urban living in the region to consider Baltimore. That's not so much about immediately right now, but more about gradually into the near future.

DC adding population in the estimate is interesting though. Was this after a particularly hard hit 2020 to 2021? Or is it just generally doing better in these counts than the rest of the corridor?

Old 06-26-2023, 06:45 PM

14,037 posts, read 15,055,272 times
Quote:

Especially New York just frankly makes no sense. There would be a huge dent in the housing market that simply doesn’t exist if the Estimates were even remotely correct.

I’m not sure what’s happening but I think COVID screwed a lot of accounting up. It might shake out a bit in the next few years.

Even just look at Buffalo, the estimates were showing losses, but the Census showed growth.

Old 06-26-2023, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Especially New York just frankly makes no sense. There would be a huge dent in the housing market that simply doesn’t exist if the Estimates were even remotely correct.

I’m not sure what’s happening but I think COVID screwed a lot of accounting up. It might shake out a bit in the next few years.

Even just look at Buffalo, the estimates were showing losses, but the Census showed growth.

One of the arguments earlier on was that a lot of people were moving on up and getting away from having roommates due to fears sparked on by the pandemic (and temporary pandemic deals). That could have explained part of it since more people living coupled with people moving on up to space upgrades. An example would be a couple moving from a 1-bedroom to a 2 bedroom with one of the bedrooms as a home office and meanwhile their 1 bedroom former residence is now taken over by a single person. However, I don't think that lasted very long because the last year or so has seen some incredible rent prices as people streamed back into the city as the pandemic housing deals are over and people are sometimes entering open house bidding wars for *rentals* in some places and this is despite the city having continued to add more housing. Note that if the measurement is 2021-2022 population changes mid-year as the estimates are done (I think July to July), then it would have encapsulated some of the pandemic dip as would have the year prior. However, July 2022 - July 2023 would grab much though all of the return to pre-pandemic trend lines.

Old 06-26-2023, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Yea, I was saying there's a lot of flux so I'm not sure if those numbers are a good representation of how things are like today and for the near future. I know that NYC has seen its rent prices over the last year skyrocket while residential construction continues and so it'd hard to tell if it's really struggling in regards to population growth.
Population can still decline even if construction is up due average household size retracting (I.e. people splitting rent and bouncing) which considering NYC's affordability issues could be the culprit.

Quote:
I know that historically the district has virtually zero effect on what goes on in Baltimore proper from a housing perspective, but in regards to a turnaround for Baltimore, I don't think it's been that uncommon in more recent years to consider if continued price increases in DC might mean people looking for urban living in the region to consider Baltimore. That's not so much about immediately right now, but more about gradually into the near future.
Why go to Baltimore when you can pay no state tax, live in NoVA and still effectively be "in" DC? But I do agree on the implications of gradual overflow in the future.

Quote:
DC adding population in the estimate is interesting though. Was this after a particularly hard hit 2020 to 2021? Or is it just generally doing better in these counts than the rest of the corridor?
DC only lost ~2k people in 2020-2021. I'd wager with confidence it's doing generally better in the counts than the rest of the corridor.

Old 06-26-2023, 07:36 PM

14,037 posts, read 15,055,272 times
Quote:
Population can still decline even if construction is up due average household size retracting (I.e. people splitting rent and bouncing) which considering NYC's affordability issues could be the culprit.

Why go to Baltimore when you can pay no state tax, live in NoVA and still effectively be "in" DC? But I do agree on the implications of gradual overflow in the future.

DC only lost ~2k people in 2020-2021. I'd wager with confidence it's doing generally better in the counts than the rest of the corridor.
The census estimates have New York shrinking multiple times faster than Detroit in the late 2000s. Which is a dip that (in nominal terms) Detroit recovered from in 2022, 15 years later. And in real terms, hasn’t come close to recovering

It’s quite hard to square. I’m sure it’s dropped by not 9.4%.

This is really a 2030 question (unless estimates show St Louis at like 325k or *obviously higher* than it’s 2020 population at some point)

Old 06-26-2023, 07:56 PM

Quote:

Yes, I mentioned that to btownboss in my response to him and with example of it though in the opposite direction of affordability. That is to say, things got cheaper for a bit because of the pandemic as people fled the city and people "upsized" their living area per person or location due to the very good pandemic deals. Those deals often took the form of getting a few to several extra months of housing that effectively lowers the rent rather than a direct rent increase likely due to terms of owners loans about maintaining a specific price per square foot. Now that rent has back to sheer insanity shortly after to towards the end of that census estimate period (and perhaps some more pandemic fears ebbing), having roommates probably once again seems reasonable.

I just don't think the recent years numbers are indicative of continuing trends in some cases at least since you can see in that link I posted as a response to btownboss, the average rent levels seem to have resumed their pre-pandemic trajectory after a brief hiatus for 2020-2020 with prices completely recovering and going past 2019.

Old 06-26-2023, 09:34 PM

995 posts, read 784,812 times
Quote:

Those are all *estimates* and we saw in a flawed 2020 census those estimates were way off on NYC... and there is no possible way they are down another 123,000 since 2020; even if there is a decline.

Bringing it back to the topic, there is a recent Bank of America internal study that has Cleveland as one of the top metros since 2020 for in-migration along with Austin, Tampa and Orlando.

Yeah internal and not official but I'm guessing BOA (the no. 2 banking institution in the US) has the resources and does more homework than the census bureau (estimates) on stuff like this, since their data is looking for where they want to invest their money.

Old 06-26-2023, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The census estimates have New York shrinking multiple times faster than Detroit in the late 2000s. Which is a dip that (in nominal terms) Detroit recovered from in 2022, 15 years later. And in real terms, hasn’t come close to recovering

It’s quite hard to square. I’m sure it’s dropped by not 9.4%.

This is really a 2030 question (unless estimates show St Louis at like 325k or *obviously higher* than it’s 2020 population at some point)
NYC's gone from 8.8 million the 2020 census to 8.33 million which is ~6% retraction.

But yes, this is definitely 2030 question. I take all census population counts post COVID with cups of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City