Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2023, 05:28 AM

12,897 posts, read 18,751,931 times

Advertisements

Travel and Leisure just named Charleston the best destination in the US for the 11th consecutive year and 19th in the world for 2023 according to the magazine’s readers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2023, 05:32 AM

1,802 posts, read 1,952,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
But why do people have to go to Mexico for that during the summer?
For families with kids, school breaks since there's usually two full months to plan around a getaway without the hassle of missing classes, and usually, the kids want to go along with their parents. It's also why other popular hot-weather destinations like Florida are busy year-round, with even a seasonal uptick in crowds. The other, shorter breaks of the year often are complicated with alternate plans.

Mexico City on the other hand is a fine place to spend a summer vacation in since its often cooler than many other climates. LA is a fine winter escape, but it seldom rains in the summer and is often cooler/less humid than much of the rest of the country.

Old 07-13-2023, 08:56 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,002 times
I have little desire to visit Cancun. If I get there eventually, cool, but being stuck at a resort with little else to do sounds like torture to me. I like to explore neighborhoods, go on runs, and enjoy the places that locals enjoy whenever I'm on vacation. Besides, if I want to spend a day on the beach, I can just go down the Jersey Shore (Cape May or Wildwood). I would much rather visit Mexico City, Guadalajara, Monterrey, and several other Mexican cities before Cancun.

Old 07-13-2023, 09:14 AM

1,039 posts, read 567,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
I have little desire to visit Cancun. If I get there eventually, cool, but being stuck at a resort with little else to do sounds like torture to me. I like to explore neighborhoods, go on runs, and enjoy the places that locals enjoy whenever I'm on vacation. I would much rather visit Mexico City, Guadalajara, Monterrey several other Mexican cities before Cancun.
Same here.

I can’t do “all-inclusive” resort thing, it gives me claustrophobia.

My house is already very “resort-y” with all white Mediterranean looking backyard, big cystal blue swimming pool and all white furniture (let’s call it interior suicide with 4 cats and a teenager with all-white deco.) and wall-to-wall bay windows which get natural sunlight from every corner of the house. If and when I travel I want to see something I don’t see often and I want to see how others live. I want to see culture, visual stimulations and things that are good for the soul. Agreed on the bolded parts of Mexico. Yucatán with Mayan ruins, Merida is my favorite with its architecture and interiors/mansions.-so beautiful.

I stay away anywhere with a lot of drunken people. If I go to the beaches I want to go somewhere quiet and not having anyone doing “woo woo!” and screaming with glee.

Old 07-13-2023, 12:27 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Agreed. Chicago blows NYC Out of of the water for activities, cleanliness, cost and variety. Especially in the summer. Just walk right on over to the beach lol.

Chicago may be one of the best summer cities in the US
I'll give you cleanliness and cost.
Activities and variety? You're out of control.

The reason why Chicago is not on the radar is because it doesn't offer anything unique to an international tourist, compared to other cities mentioned. Plain and simple. It doesn't have best in class in any category. If you're an international tourist you will visit the US for an American experience - Hollywood, Disney, nature, museums/history, food, etc. Chicago is not at the top in any of these categories.

Old 07-13-2023, 03:37 PM

552 posts, read 408,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post

The reason why Chicago is not on the radar is because it doesn't offer anything unique to an international tourist, compared to other cities mentioned. Plain and simple. It doesn't have best in class in any category. If you're an international tourist you will visit the US for an American experience - Hollywood, Disney, nature, museums/history, food, etc. Chicago is not at the top in any of these categories.
Chicago is near the top in quite a few categories like food, museums, theater, architecture, nightlife, festivals, shopping and parks/waterfront. It may not be the runaway number one in any of them but there's cogent arguments to be made for it being 2nd through 5th for almost anything relevant to the "big-city" experience.

The profile is lower than other cities that are more heavily & positively promoted but Chicago isn't lacking quality in any of those departments. It's undeniable how well the city performs across the spectrum. It was chosen by Conde Nast readers as the best big city in the U.S. six years running for whatever that's worth.

Old 07-13-2023, 07:38 PM

254 posts, read 114,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
What are international visitors looking for? I've lived in Chicago and talked to international visitors and they are very impressed by the city (downtown specifically).
They are looking for New York City lol. Which is why majority of them come here, sometimes repeatedly.

Old 07-13-2023, 09:37 PM

4,420 posts, read 5,151,002 times
Why the heck would anyone go to SF nowadays? LA is questionable.

Old 07-13-2023, 10:53 PM

571 posts, read 276,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post

LA has a lot to offer, but Hollywood Blvd is not a world class destination. It is a tourist trap. LA has way better things to off than that.

Old 07-13-2023, 10:55 PM

571 posts, read 276,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKafrican1 View Post
They are looking for New York City lol. Which is why majority of them come here, sometimes repeatedly.
Also why many foreigners have a low opinion of the US, unfortunately
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City