Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2022, 06:42 PM

1,366 posts, read 995,609 times

Advertisements

Hi

My Amazon acct was hacked recently, and one thing I noticed, is that there were plenty of items in my browsing history I never looked at. I think my antennae are now up.

So now here I am, wanting to search for something on my cable box (I have Comcast), and I go to the search page, where I see two shows I know I searched for recently, and a whole bunch of others, I know for a fact I didn't. In fact, these are shows I would never search for - "16 & Pregnant", as one ex.

Is it possible someone has hacked into my Comcast acct, or has somehow gained access to the feed? Anyone ever see anything like this, be it with Comcast, or another provider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2022, 06:55 PM

5,996 posts, read 3,736,069 times
Does anyone live in the same house with you or have access to your computer or TV? Maybe the cleaning lady, or your daughter, or ??????

Old 06-27-2022, 10:23 AM

No - nobody. I live alone, and have no cleaning lady, nor anyone else who comes in.

Old 06-27-2022, 02:26 PM

Maybe your Comcast modem password has been hacked. See if you can log onto Comcast, log into your account, and change the password.

Old 06-28-2022, 04:33 PM

Not sure how changing the pwd would do anything to the modem, but I will try it.

Old 06-28-2022, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
Not sure how changing the pwd would do anything to the modem, but I will try it.
At the bottom right of your screen, there should be a little symbol/icon for "internet access". Click on that symbol/icon. This should then give a list of all the modems that your computer can potentially connect to in your area.

Beside the name of your modem on that list, there should be a symbol/icon of a CLOSED lock. That indicates that your modem is protected by a password and is not available to anyone without the correct password. If, beside your modem name, there is a symbol/icon of an OPEN lock, then your modem is accessible to anyone who can pick up the signal, even without a password. Then, presumably, they could log onto your websites and steal your info.

I'm no computer expert, but I believe this to be correct. Someone, somehow is getting access to your information. If they're not physically logging onto your computer, then they're somehow accessing your accounts with your ID. You might also review the password(s) that you use on the sites you go to. Hopefully you don't use the same password everywhere.

Old 06-30-2022, 09:40 AM

Thx

So, that box you speak of, gives me the Network and Sharing Center, but no modems are listed there. And I cant seem to find out how to get to the modem, even after searching. I know how to get to the router, by typing 192.168.1.1 into a browser, but not the modem.

Old 06-30-2022, 11:04 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,136,306 times
Quote:
Thx

So, that box you speak of, gives me the Network and Sharing Center, but no modems are listed there. And I cant seem to find out how to get to the modem, even after searching. I know how to get to the router, by typing 192.168.1.1 into a browser, but not the modem.
if you use the comcast provided router, it's likely a single unit "gateway modem/router"

Old 06-30-2022, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Thx

Does your connection have a name? Mine does. Adjacent to that name is a symbol/icon of a locked padlock and the words "Connected, secured". There are also 3 or 4 other names which I assume are the modems (networks???) of my close neighbors. All but one of them also has the locked padlock. One has no padlock. I assume that one is not secured with a password and that I could log onto it if I wanted to.

Old 06-30-2022, 01:58 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,100,522 times
Look on the taskbar at the bottom right of your computer screen.
Click on the radar symbol, the icon of radiating arcs.
You will find a list of wifi connections there.
Yours will be at the top of the list.
Each name on the list will have a small icon of a padlock.
Check yours to see if your padlock appears locked or unlocked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology