Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2023, 11:30 PM

254 posts, read 114,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiigner View Post
Also why many foreigners have a low opinion of the US, unfortunately
There opinions cant be to low because they continue to come back to NYC consistently year after year, because most of the U.S is a joke in Comparison
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2023, 11:54 PM

571 posts, read 276,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKafrican1 View Post
There opinions cant be to low because they continue to come back to NYC consistently year after year, because most of the U.S is a joke in Comparison
Wow you personally know every tourist who comes back year after year?

Old 07-14-2023, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Wow you personally know every tourist who comes back year after year?
Wow you personally know every foreigners opinions.

Old 07-14-2023, 12:08 AM

571 posts, read 276,319 times
Quote:
Wow you personally know every foreigners opinions.
Yes I do

Old 07-14-2023, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Yes I do
I know every tourist the comes back repeatedly.

Old 07-14-2023, 12:59 AM

306 posts, read 479,932 times
Chicago is the best summer CITY in America period.

Lot of Chi haters, LA is boring outside theme parks, NYC is smell, humid, no beach(I love NYC, just not in summer).

Cancun and Florida is basically living on fire in the summer.

Long story short, if true and not in Top 30 then international people are not quite educated when it come to American cities or maybe it is just one survey(I have traveled the world, people know about Chicago).

Old 07-14-2023, 03:44 AM

837 posts, read 853,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
Chicago is the best summer CITY in America period.

Lot of Chi haters, LA is boring outside theme parks, NYC is smell, humid, no beach(I love NYC, just not in summer).
WHAT A HATER!!! Yes, LA can be boring outside of Hollywood and the Beaches, and at least NY has Coney Island (which has an interesting history and a culture of it's own), better (and simpler albeit I do like the deep dish, you still can't beat NY) pizza, and much better and flavorful (and simpler, too many vegetables and no ketchup on hot dogs is a crime, IMHO) hot dogs, what can Chicago claim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
Cancun and Florida is basically living on fire in the summer.

Long story short, if true and not in Top 30 then international people are not quite educated when it come to American cities or maybe it is just one survey(I have traveled the world, people know about Chicago).
But Chicago didn't make the Top 30, so now what? You can still live comfortably in Miami. I live in the Caribbean, and while it does get hot, it's not like living in an oven compared to living in a city like Phoenix or Las Vegas!

Old 07-14-2023, 07:28 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Why the heck would anyone go to SF nowadays? LA is questionable.
San Francisco is one of the most beautiful cities I’ve ever had the pleasure of visiting. I visited SF for the first time last month, leaving Philadelphia on June 1st. When I arrived, I was greeted by perfect weather (67 and sunny), breathtaking views of the hills and San Francisco Bay, stately Victorian architecture, an endless amount of walkable neighborhoods, and a very thorough (although very fragmented) public transit system. I will always remember running 10 miles from the Ferry Terminal Building to Sausalito via the Golden Gate Bridge and being astounded by SF’s beauty the entire way through. The Tenderloin did have its issues, and I got to experience many of them up front since I stayed in Union Square (to the north of the Tenderloin); however, it’s a very small portion of SF, and it’s nothing that I haven’t seen in the Kensington section of my city. SF is a top 3 American city only beaten out by Philadelphia and NYC IMO.

This may be a controversial opinion, but LA is one of the ugliest cities I’ve ever seen. I thought Santa Monica, Hollywood/Hollywood Dell, and parts of DTLA were pretty enough, and I REALLY enjoyed taking Amtrak’s Pacific Surfliner down to San Diego as a side trip, but LA is an auto-centric, sprawling mess full of strip malls and architecturally insignificant buildings. I came in with an open mind, but quickly found out that having a car in LA is absolutely necessary outside of a few trips. I’m hopeful LA will be better in the future, but it’s my least favorite city in California after SF, San Diego, and Sacramento.

Old 07-14-2023, 08:22 AM

1,039 posts, read 567,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post

This may be a controversial opinion, but LA is one of the ugliest cities I’ve ever seen. I thought Santa Monica, Hollywood/Hollywood Dell, and parts of DTLA were pretty enough, and I REALLY enjoyed taking Amtrak’s Pacific Surfliner down to San Diego as a side trip, but LA is an auto-centric, sprawling mess full of strip malls and architecturally insignificant buildings. .
In L.A’s defense, its beauty lies outside the usual touristy traps and in the residential areas. You also need to go high up to the hilly areas to appreciate L.A outside the crazy freeways, rundown houses mostly NEAR the main roads (because most wealth in LA lies in the hidden, secluded spots you normally won’t see while driving on the busy streets.) and the ugly buzzword on c-d: sprawling.

Go to neighborhoods such as Hancock Park, Los Feliz, Silver Lake, Hollywood Hills (where the Stahl house aka Case Study house is located.), Pasadena (west side Pasadena carries such an old world charm.) and even Brentwood. If you love architecture, L.A is the city you’ll ever hardly, ever, get bored.

I have a hobby to look at real estate listing all over the world and the U.S. I appreciate a lot of listings from the East Coast cities, from the very prestigious suburbs. For the housing stock point of view though, how many Colonials and Georgians can you see in one given suburb? In L.A I would see Spanish Revival, Mid-Century, Craftsman, Victorian, Modern, Tudor, Cape Cod, Art Deco, and French Normandy.-again, visitors don’t get to see all these by driving on the freeway or going to the famous touristy spots any online “must-have” would tell you.

I lived on a very high hill in L.A for 10 yrs, the view from the top overlooking the San Gabriel mountains and the massive, widespread endless display of the city dwelling and lights at night are so outrageously beautiful. Go to Griffith Park Observatory at dusk, stay there on the top of the hill, just stand there quietly until the sun goes down.-the sunset in L.A is purple. Purple haze, just like Jimi Hendrix said.

I left LA after 10 yrs (more than 10 yrs because my parents have been living there since the early ‘90s. I still have the most immediate family members in L.A.) because I wanted to explore the world outside NYC and L.A. My another sister has been living in Bay Area since 1990 so I visited often. San Francisco is otherworldly beautiful, more regal and proper than L.A, but San Francisco crept me out for some reason.-it has the Hitchcock element.-L.A is endearing because it never pretends to be proper and “play by the rule” what average Joe defines what a city should be. L.A is sci-fi (Frank Gehry Disney Concert Hall, Petersen automobile museum on Wilshire.) Blade Runner, David Lynch, crazy New Age phoniness meeting immigrants vibrant energy. L.A is pretentious and down-to-earth at once. I also know L.A too well I need to leave to see the world.-and I did, but I’ll always love its craziness and the breathtaking views from the hilltop. (It’s also a complicated relationship: I don’t want to live there anymore-too much familiarity and I love novelty-but I’ll defend her since she’s so misunderstood.)

Consider this my love letter to L.A.

Old 07-14-2023, 08:28 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
They are looking for New York City lol. Which is why majority of them come here, sometimes repeatedly.
Quote:
Also why many foreigners have a low opinion of the US, unfortunately
I seriously doubt that the bold is true. If anything New York elevates the relatively low opinion of the US... hence why it is the most visited US city...

Anecdotal, but I travel quite a bit and whenever New York comes up in conversations overseas, it is always met with positivity. The same can't be said for other US locales that came up in conversations...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City