Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2023, 01:46 PM

254 posts, read 113,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
I am outrageously Euro-centric so I hear you loud and clear but going to LA & going to Europe are not mutually exclusive. The one beautiful thing about traveling to me is going for the unknowns, experiencing something you don’t normally see and the varieties of the cultural/landscaping/geographical stimulations.

The American West is one of the most unique, awestruck geophysical façades in the world, it’s worth of exploring and studying.-and I said this as a 1: person who’s not at all outdoorsy, 2: person who’s painfully big city citizen 3: person who’s so Euro-centric that she’s moving to Europe for good. (for the bolded parts you mentioned above.)

I understand not everyone is into driving (me either. I love cars for the aesthetic reasons only.) but as a formerly film study student I saw so many cultural zeitgeist displayed in the American “road movie” genre. It’s very uniquely American, it’s American’s own version of Odyssey, America “ out west” has so much rugged, masculine kind of beauty. L.A is a part of this Western cultural legacy.- I say this again as a person who lived in NYC for 15 yrs and L.A for 10 and is on the way to Europe.

I haven’t been driving since June, 2019 but I think I’ll go watch Thelma & Louise again, partially inspired by responding to your post.
Ive been to the west on several occasion from California to Oregon etc. I made sure to explore and travel the U.S first before I went abroad. Yes the beautiful thing about traveling is leaving the U.S to find more interesting cultures and things to do without having a car. Ive traveled to 62 counties. Although the U.S is a beautiful country it’s hard to do anything without having to drive drive drive drive. Majority of countries I’ve been to from Taiwan vietnam Morocco Lebanon Pakistan etc I never once had to drive. Walked pretty muc everywhere: I like L.A but the commuting is draining sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2023, 09:40 PM

323 posts, read 259,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiigner View Post
Nah man NYC waaaaay better

Chicago is very cool but it doesn’t compare to nyc
Completely disagree with you. Chicago blows NYC out of the water in the summer.

Old 07-16-2023, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
It clearly doesn’t blow NYC out in the summer months.

I’m curious to know what makes posters like you think you are entitled to say such things lmao

"Entitled" - LOOOL... You really don't understand the meaning of that word, do you?

See, there's this thing that people have called "opinions." They are oftentimes, but not always, subjective, and can be based upon a number of different factors, including but not limited to: personal experiences, statistics, family, friends, work...etc..etc..

That fancy word opinion applies more than ever when we're in a discussion that involves the comparison of different cities.

This is a very teachable moment, so let's use the word opinion in a sentence below, so you can learn.

"It is my opinion that Chicago is far superior to New York in the summer months, for a varied number of reasons that I don't feel like listing out at this moment."

But maybe I will in another post. Stay tuned!

Old 07-16-2023, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
New York City has 8 beaches. You shouldn’t give an opinion if you aren’t educated in the topic you are discussing.

I’m also curious to know who your geography teacher was. Never new a city that sits on an a literal coast didn’t have beaches.
The New York area does have beaches, yes...but it doesn't have urban beaches like the core of Chicago does.

Imagine lining Midtown Manhattan along the East River with Coney Island, Jones Beach, or Rockaway Beach.

Chicagos' beaches line most of the coastline, starting from the downtown loop and moving northward for several miles. There are also beaches south of the loop, such as Rainbow Beach.

To help put that in perspective for you, that would be akin to Manhattan having multiple beaches starting at Battery Park City, and running north along the Hudson River to just south of the George Washington Bridge.

That's just something New York doesn't have, and it's one of many reasons why myself and so many others find Chicago to be a much better city in the summer months.

As I said, New York does indeed have beaches, but they're rather distant from the core of the city. That train ride to Coney Island ain't a short one...LOOL. The same goes for Orchard Beach in the Bronx. Jones Beach? Enjoy the hour long car ride.

Chicagos' beaches run right along the city skyline. There's nothing like taking a dip in Lake Michigan in the summer with the soaring towers of the Loop, the Gold Coast, or Lincoln park right behind you.

New York? Not so much..lool

Last edited by MarcBetrus; 07-16-2023 at 10:44 PM..

Old 07-17-2023, 05:47 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBetrus View Post

That's just something New York doesn't have, and it's one of many reasons why myself and so many others find Chicago to be a much better city in the summer months.
A much more reasonable opinion statement than "blows NYC out of the water" (I wish people would stop saying that on here).
I still respectfully disagree, (though I enjoy Chicago in the summer).

Also, isn't this thread about most researched summer destinations, why is Chicago the focus?

*Separately, since we all love personal anecdotes,4 friends of my partner from Chicago happen to be in NYC for a summer getaway, lol. 3 nights in the city for activities, then 2 nights in Fire Island.

Last edited by cpomp; 07-17-2023 at 06:09 AM..

Old 07-17-2023, 09:16 AM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
I mean can you really say Chicago's beaches are a major pro given they're not even ocean beaches. I mean do you think some person from Sweden or Australia is going to travel halfway across the world to hang out on the lake? I don't think foreign visitors who could go anywhere in the world would think that really elevates Chicago in a meaningful sense. It's not like these are world class beaches.

Old 07-17-2023, 10:02 AM

1,374 posts, read 923,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiigner View Post
Nah man NYC waaaaay better

Chicago is very cool but it doesn’t compare to nyc
I prefer Chicago over NYC, it's a prettier city.

Old 07-17-2023, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBetrus View Post
The New York area does have beaches, yes...but it doesn't have urban beaches like the core of Chicago does.

Imagine lining Midtown Manhattan along the East River with Coney Island, Jones Beach, or Rockaway Beach.

Chicagos' beaches line most of the coastline, starting from the downtown loop and moving northward for several miles. There are also beaches south of the loop, such as Rainbow Beach.

To help put that in perspective for you, that would be akin to Manhattan having multiple beaches starting at Battery Park City, and running north along the Hudson River to just south of the George Washington Bridge.

As I said, New York does indeed have beaches, but they're rather distant from the core of the city. That train ride to Coney Island ain't a short one...LOOL. The same goes for Orchard Beach in the Bronx. Jones Beach? Enjoy the hour long car ride.

Chicagos' beaches run right along the city skyline. There's nothing like taking a dip in Lake Michigan in the summer with the soaring towers of the Loop, the Gold Coast, or Lincoln park right behind you.

New York? Not so much..lool

This is laughable lol a Beach is a Beach no matter where it’s located it’s still apart of the city of NY.. It doesn’t stop hundreds upon thousands of people from going to the beaches here in New York City and surrounding areas. . Depending on where you live at Coney Island is not far and depending on where you live in Chicago, downtown beaches can be far away commuting, especially dealing with traffic for those who have to drive from the suburbs. So yeah, you can dress that crap up about skylines and backdrops to back up your claims that chicago has better summers but that don’t fly. Your international and domestic visitation numbers are poor in comparison to New York City.

Speaking of Coney Island there’s almost 50,000 people living in that area compared to downtown chicago. Where is the amusement park in Chicago beaches? North Avenue beach is the most popular one yet Theres a massive highway running right behind it. We don’t have that problem in New York the train drops us right in front of it. So I could be nit-picky as well.

I’m not going to get into winter tourism because chicago falls in that category to compared to NYC in terms of things to do.

Last edited by BKafrican1; 07-17-2023 at 12:55 PM..

Old 07-17-2023, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
I prefer Chicago over NYC, it's a prettier city.
Domestic and international visitors prefer NYC.

Last edited by BKafrican1; 07-17-2023 at 01:00 PM..

Old 07-17-2023, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I mean can you really say Chicago's beaches are a major pro given they're not even ocean beaches. I mean do you think some person from Sweden or Australia is going to travel halfway across the world to hang out on the lake? I don't think foreign visitors who could go anywhere in the world would think that really elevates Chicago in a meaningful sense. It's not like these are world class beaches.

Exactly !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City