Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: TOP 5 WINNERS
Honolulu, Hawaii 13 11.40%
Jacksonville, Florida 2 1.75%
Sacramento, California 5 4.39%
Kansas City, Missouri 2 1.75%
Detroit, Michigan 3 2.63%
New Orleans, Louisiana 3 2.63%
Portland, Oregon 5 4.39%
St Louis, Missouri 2 1.75%
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 1 0.88%
Memphis, Tennessee 1 0.88%
Birmingham, Alabama 2 1.75%
Cleveland, Ohio 4 3.51%
Grand Rapids, Michigan 4 3.51%
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 3 2.63%
Louisville, Kentucky 1 0.88%
Omaha, Nebraska 2 1.75%
Des Moines, Iowa 3 2.63%
Boise, Idaho 1 0.88%
Salt Lake City, Utah 2 1.75%
Richmond, Virginia 2 1.75%
Hartford, Connecticut 5 4.39%
Providence, Rhode Island 3 2.63%
Baltimore, Maryland 4 3.51%
Charleston, South Carolina 2 1.75%
Greenville, South Carolina 2 1.75%
Columbia, South Carolina 8 7.02%
Columbus, Ohio 5 4.39%
Indianapolis, Indiana 5 4.39%
Riverside, California 3 2.63%
San Antonio, Texas 6 5.26%
Other City Not Talked About 8 7.02%
None of these 2 1.75%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2023, 04:42 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,627,677 times

Advertisements

This board has always been major city-centric rather than all sizable cities in general, but with that said many smaller cities and metros have threads on them, they just aren't the always, every day discussed cities...

Every city you listed in your poll has a number of threads about them...

The 16 largest metros are the cities that are always talked about here, minus the Inland Empire. Aside from those 15, the rest of the Top 30 cities get plenty of discussion, besides San Antonio and Sacramento...

It's once you get lower than the 30 largest metros, and/or lower than the 2-million metros, that you see stronger contrasts in discussion around cities. I get it. For the most part we love the big cities here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2023, 04:47 AM

Some of these cities shouldn't be in your poll though because they get plenty of burn on here...

Indianapolis, Columbus, Baltimore, Salt Lake City, Louisville, Cleveland, Birmingham, Memphis, St Louis, Portland, New Orleans, Detroit, Kansas City, and Jacksonville get plenty of discussion on here. That's like half your list lol. The other 16 cities can stay...

Old 07-09-2023, 06:41 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
In no particular order for me:

-Hartford
-St. Petersburg
-Des Moines
-Omaha
-Knoxville

I would also add St. Paul, Buffalo, Cleveland, Grand Rapids, Norfolk, and Louisville into the mix.

Old 07-09-2023, 08:34 AM

1,732 posts, read 1,892,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Some of these cities shouldn't be in your poll though because they get plenty of burn on here...

Indianapolis, Columbus, Baltimore, Salt Lake City, Louisville, Cleveland, Birmingham, Memphis, St Louis, Portland, New Orleans, Detroit, Kansas City, and Jacksonville get plenty of discussion on here. That's like half your list lol. The other 16 cities can stay...
Louisville is probably the Most Ignored major city on the list. I guess if you search for Louisville you'll find discussions about it. But Not Once have I clicked the Board and casually seen "Louisville vs" .... Or " Need Moving advice Louisville or X City"
Look At The Board Now, lol. No Louisville, This board is about learning about cities and we hardly ever hear or get a chance to learn about Louisville. Even Indianapolis and Columbus have more threads. Indy and Columbus aren't discussed as much either but I occasionally see threads about them

Threads on Cities like St Louis, Cleveland and New Orleans have been decreasing lately, I Use to see a Lot of New Orleans threads but nothing lately

Cities like Detroit (4 million Metro) aren't discussed a lot for their size

Old 07-09-2023, 09:46 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Louisville is probably the Most Ignored major city on the list. I guess if you search for Louisville you'll find discussions about it. But Not Once have I clicked the Board and casually seen "Louisville vs" .... Or " Need Moving advice Louisville or X City"
Look At The Board Now, lol. No Louisville, This board is about learning about cities and we hardly ever hear or get a chance to learn about Louisville. Even Indianapolis and Columbus have more threads. Indy and Columbus aren't discussed as much either but I occasionally see threads about them

Threads on Cities like St Louis, Cleveland and New Orleans have been decreasing lately, I Use to see a Lot of New Orleans threads but nothing lately

Of those listed I'd say below are the least discussed per size/rep:

Jacksonville
Milwaukee
Hartford
Providence
Columbia

A lot of the visibility for cities has to do with how well represented on here. Detroit hasn't had very many active homers in the General US/CvC forums for a while. Cleveland and St. Louis are still decently represented and discussed.

Louisville was over represented for a while a few years back. Not necessarily in a good way. I definitely agree it's fallen off the radar on here lately though.

Old 07-09-2023, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post

Nah we can agree to disagree on how often some of these cities are brought up lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Of those listed I'd say below are the least discussed per size/rep:

Jacksonville
Milwaukee
Hartford
Providence
Columbia

A lot of the visibility for cities has to do with how well represented on here. Detroit hasn't had very many active homers in the General US/CvC forums for a while. Cleveland and St. Louis are still decently represented and discussed.

Louisville was over represented for a while a few years back. Not necessarily in a good way. I definitely agree it's fallen off the radar on here lately though.
Kinda like, there was a stretch from '15 or '16 up until The Pandemic, where we had an overrepresentation of Richmond posters. There were a good amount of us for a strong 4 or 5 year stretch and it came from nowhere because it certainly wasn't like that when I joined this board a dozen years ago. And I know for myself, while I'll always consider myself a Richmonder, I left Rich in '17 and I left Virginia in '19 so I'm just not up on the current events of the city anymore. Some old Rich posters may be in a similar phase or just left the board altogether but there certainly isn't the representation here thar there used to be!

Old 07-09-2023, 12:19 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Louisville for sure had the world's worst ambassadors for a while on this forum. Might sound petty, and it 100% is, but we stopped visiting Louisville as our daytrip of choice and replaced it with Cincinnati a few years back because of it.

We don't hear much about Louisville on this forum these days, and most of the press I've heard of late isn't great. I'm sure Louisville is doing better than what I've heard, but that city has taken some punches the last few years.

Old 07-09-2023, 12:56 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Of the ones I have visited in this list, my favorite is easily Sacramento, I think it's the most underrated metro (surrounding areas as well) hands down. Close to the mountains, close to the ocean. Again, I don't necessarily think of an ocean of a place to swim in as much as I see it as scenery. Within a day of 4 national parks. It's a gem.

Old 07-09-2023, 01:51 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Louisville for sure had the world's worst ambassadors for a while on this forum. Might sound petty, and it 100% is, but we stopped visiting Louisville as our daytrip of choice and replaced it with Cincinnati a few years back because of it.
Well it's unfortunate that toxic boosting can have that affect. I've been in Louisville 3 years now. I don't necessarily consider myself a homer/booster, but I will say the city is growing on me.

Quote:
We don't hear much about Louisville on this forum these days, and most of the press I've heard of late isn't great. I'm sure Louisville is doing better than what I've heard, but that city has taken some punches the last few years.
Louisville got hit double hard between Covid and the Breonna Taylor incident. It was pretty bad for a while. In 2023 it's pretty much back to where it was pre-covid. Downtown is hopping with tourists again, and construction has up ticked significantly. There's an uptick in crime(there is more less everywhere), but it's largely contained to specific areas. I never feel unsafe when I'm out and about. The Highlands specifically is seeing a surge in investments with long standing businesses moving out, buildings getting renovated, and bigger businesses moving in. Pretty much every empty property is being renovated and occupied. With the toxic boosting no longer an issue maybe it's time you take another look

Old 07-09-2023, 04:18 PM

10,062 posts, read 14,434,667 times
My ranking would go like this--

1) Providence, RI - a gem of a city. Progressive, incredible culture, coastal location and good food and bars.

2) Birmingham, AL

3) Columbia, SC

4) Toledo, OH

5) Louisville, KY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City