Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: TOP 5 WINNERS
Honolulu, Hawaii 13 11.40%
Jacksonville, Florida 2 1.75%
Sacramento, California 5 4.39%
Kansas City, Missouri 2 1.75%
Detroit, Michigan 3 2.63%
New Orleans, Louisiana 3 2.63%
Portland, Oregon 5 4.39%
St Louis, Missouri 2 1.75%
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 1 0.88%
Memphis, Tennessee 1 0.88%
Birmingham, Alabama 2 1.75%
Cleveland, Ohio 4 3.51%
Grand Rapids, Michigan 4 3.51%
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 3 2.63%
Louisville, Kentucky 1 0.88%
Omaha, Nebraska 2 1.75%
Des Moines, Iowa 3 2.63%
Boise, Idaho 1 0.88%
Salt Lake City, Utah 2 1.75%
Richmond, Virginia 2 1.75%
Hartford, Connecticut 5 4.39%
Providence, Rhode Island 3 2.63%
Baltimore, Maryland 4 3.51%
Charleston, South Carolina 2 1.75%
Greenville, South Carolina 2 1.75%
Columbia, South Carolina 8 7.02%
Columbus, Ohio 5 4.39%
Indianapolis, Indiana 5 4.39%
Riverside, California 3 2.63%
San Antonio, Texas 6 5.26%
Other City Not Talked About 8 7.02%
None of these 2 1.75%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2023, 11:48 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
And as for Minneapolis(which an earlier poster said, I suspect this earlier person mistyped and didn't mean the whole state of Minnesota), this city never had a bad reputation till the George Floyd shooting. And until pics and videos of looting(including at least one Target location plus other various stores, and to Target's credit they rebuilt that store over closing it), surfaced online.
The rioting and looting wasn't unique to just Minneapolis, though. It happened it basically every major city in the US, and even several abroad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2023, 08:51 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,387,320 times
I imagine there are too many cities that qualify so voting other.

By far the first IMO would be El Paso Texas. Isolated and on the border with a unwarranted negative image. It is actually a good and safe city to live in and is not as small as people think. Actually, most know nothing about this city except its location.

Also, good mentions Grand Rapids Mi, Milwaukee, WI, Jackson, MS, Columbia SC and too many others to start mentioning.

El Paso FTW!

Old 07-19-2023, 11:37 PM

4,606 posts, read 2,996,667 times
Concerning California cities, certainly Sacramento doesn't seem to get much attention,
even though it's the capital of the largest state. Fresno, still less attention,
although it's larger than Sacramento, and could be called the state's ag capital.
Long Beach is the 7th largest city in the state, but doesn't get much attention
-- and it's even on the coast!

Last edited by NW4me; 07-19-2023 at 11:57 PM..

Old 07-20-2023, 12:28 AM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
The rioting and looting wasn't unique to just Minneapolis, though. It happened it basically every major city in the US, and even several abroad.
I'm aware this happened in a lot of cities, and not just Minneapolis. That said, it does seem like Minneapolis is one of those cities that never makes the news often, other than in some infrequent cases like the I-35W bridge collapse, and the George Floyd shooting.

That said, at least this city doesn't have issues that certain west coast cities have. Like homeless people heavily living outside, like is the case with Portland and San Francisco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Also, good mentions Grand Rapids Mi, Milwaukee, WI, Jackson, MS, Columbia SC and too many others to start mentioning.

El Paso FTW!
You'd really say Jackson is as good as say like Grand Rapids? That comparison I disagree with, but is just my opinion. I'm still iffy if I'd mention Columbia in the same breath as Grand Rapids, but at least it isn't as bad as Jackson.

Old 07-21-2023, 10:13 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,387,320 times
Quote:
You'd really say Jackson is as good as say like Grand Rapids? That comparison I disagree with, but is just my opinion. I'm still iffy if I'd mention Columbia in the same breath as Grand Rapids, but at least it isn't as bad as Jackson.

Huh? This tread has nothing do to with which city is better than the other and in no way did I ever even got close to indicating that!

Last edited by mjlo; 07-22-2023 at 07:53 AM..

Old 07-28-2023, 05:46 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,442,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landolakes90 View Post
Jacksonville specifically rarely gets talked about on here. Unless it's some outraged new poster being indignant, and making an ignorant/inane comment about how it's "the largest city in Florida". Even then the discussion ends up being about how city population is a terrible metric lol, and not really about Jacksonville.
True. I think Jacksonville isn't talked about because it's in the shadowS of Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale and Daytona Beach. It's hard to compete with that many cities in one state.

Old 07-29-2023, 09:47 AM

3,575 posts, read 3,075,384 times
On this list - Columbia and Riverside.
Many many others not on this list (in no particular order): Rochester NY, Toledo, Bakersfield, Anchorage, Reno, Ft. Wayne, Norfolk + + +

Old 07-29-2023, 11:50 AM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Concerning California cities, certainly Sacramento doesn't seem to get much attention,
even though it's the capital of the largest state. Fresno, still less attention,
although it's larger than Sacramento, and could be called the state's ag capital.
Long Beach is the 7th largest city in the state, but doesn't get much attention
-- and it's even on the coast!
You're talking about population within city limits....a mostly irrelevant measure.

Fresno is nowhere near as big as Sacramento in any way that matters here.

Long Beach is a little subset of LA.

Old 08-02-2023, 05:15 AM

6,892 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
True. I think Jacksonville isn't talked about because it's in the shadowS of Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale and Daytona Beach. It's hard to compete with that many cities in one state.
I'd really like to hear more about Jacksonville. I've heard kind of rough-neck mentality with huge retired military culture, I maybe way off about this?

Old 08-02-2023, 05:16 AM

6,892 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Quote:
I'm aware this happened in a lot of cities, and not just Minneapolis. That said, it does seem like Minneapolis is one of those cities that never makes the news often, other than in some infrequent cases like the I-35W bridge collapse, and the George Floyd shooting.

That said, at least this city doesn't have issues that certain west coast cities have. Like homeless people heavily living outside, like is the case with Portland and San Francisco.

I've heard good things about Grand Rapids and I like to hear more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City