Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: TOP 5 WINNERS
Honolulu, Hawaii 13 11.40%
Jacksonville, Florida 2 1.75%
Sacramento, California 5 4.39%
Kansas City, Missouri 2 1.75%
Detroit, Michigan 3 2.63%
New Orleans, Louisiana 3 2.63%
Portland, Oregon 5 4.39%
St Louis, Missouri 2 1.75%
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 1 0.88%
Memphis, Tennessee 1 0.88%
Birmingham, Alabama 2 1.75%
Cleveland, Ohio 4 3.51%
Grand Rapids, Michigan 4 3.51%
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 3 2.63%
Louisville, Kentucky 1 0.88%
Omaha, Nebraska 2 1.75%
Des Moines, Iowa 3 2.63%
Boise, Idaho 1 0.88%
Salt Lake City, Utah 2 1.75%
Richmond, Virginia 2 1.75%
Hartford, Connecticut 5 4.39%
Providence, Rhode Island 3 2.63%
Baltimore, Maryland 4 3.51%
Charleston, South Carolina 2 1.75%
Greenville, South Carolina 2 1.75%
Columbia, South Carolina 8 7.02%
Columbus, Ohio 5 4.39%
Indianapolis, Indiana 5 4.39%
Riverside, California 3 2.63%
San Antonio, Texas 6 5.26%
Other City Not Talked About 8 7.02%
None of these 2 1.75%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2023, 11:32 AM

8,491 posts, read 4,735,625 times

Advertisements

Milwaukee is up there for sure. I’m going to throw my hat in the ring for San Diego as well - it gets a fair bit of talk on here but otherwise I think it’s that quietly large place in California people don’t even get to because LA and SF exist - and I think folks in San Diego are perfectly happy about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2023, 12:50 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,823 times
These are the cities you always hear talked about in the national media:

Seattle
Portland
San Francisco
LA
Las Vegas
Chicago
Detroit
Houston
Dallas
Austin
New Orleans
Miami
Orlando
Atlanta
Washington, D.C.
Philadelphia
New York
Boston

Anything else is generally a complete mystery or regarded as irrelevant to most Americans.

Old 07-15-2023, 08:03 AM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I see several on the list that are talked about, but not for good reasons. Those include Baltimore, Detroit, Milwaukee, and St. Louis, and more frequently recently, Minnesota. I would avoid all of those.
What bad things are associated with Milwaukee, where this city would be equated to like Baltimore, St. Louis, Detroit, etc? I swear at first glance to me, those cities have a worser reputation than even Milwaukee. Yes in Milwaukee I'm aware the abandoned Northridge Mall exists, but outside of those in the urbex community who look at such pics a lot(myself included), the average person who doesn't live in the Milwaukee metro area wouldn't be aware of that former mall.

And as for Minneapolis(which an earlier poster said, I suspect this earlier person mistyped and didn't mean the whole state of Minnesota), this city never had a bad reputation till the George Floyd shooting. And until pics and videos of looting(including at least one Target location plus other various stores, and to Target's credit they rebuilt that store over closing it), surfaced online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
These are the cities you always hear talked about in the national media:

Seattle
Portland
San Francisco
LA
Las Vegas
Chicago
Detroit
Houston
Dallas
Austin
New Orleans
Miami
Orlando
Atlanta
Washington, D.C.
Philadelphia
New York
Boston

Anything else is generally a complete mystery or regarded as irrelevant to most Americans.
Some of these cities in the poll NEVER get mentioned much, except when the scores of ____ pro sports team are mentioned online or in TV newscasts. I suspect Omaha wouldn't get mentioned much, if it wasn't for the College World Series.

And is Providence the biggest New England city, that never gets a lot of talk on the news or online? I'm sure Providence not having any pro teams, is partially why.

Norfolk, VA(and also any of the other Hampton Roads cities and communities, like Virginia Beach) never is talked about much, either.

Last edited by SonySegaTendo617; 07-15-2023 at 08:15 AM..

Old 07-17-2023, 05:32 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
san juan.

Old 07-17-2023, 07:19 AM

6,562 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
san juan.
Yeah, a lot of people forget that PR is part of the US even though it's not a state, so San Juan is less talked about than Honolulu or Anchorage.

Old 07-17-2023, 12:47 PM

676 posts, read 647,927 times
Honolulu doesn't get enough of a mention as it has a variety of factors that make it pretty unique:
-One of the most developed cities in the world that is within tropics, only behind Singapore
-Large number of skyscrapers for its population
-Has a new metro line that just came up and running
-Not a small far flung small outpost of a few thousand people but actually a 1 million+ population metropolis

Old 07-18-2023, 06:04 PM

783 posts, read 695,026 times
Fayetteville
Huntsville
Asheville
Santa Fe
St. George

Old 07-18-2023, 08:59 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,442,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Some of these cities shouldn't be in your poll though because they get plenty of burn on here...

Indianapolis, Columbus, Baltimore, Salt Lake City, Louisville, Cleveland, Birmingham, Memphis, St Louis, Portland, New Orleans, Detroit, Kansas City, and Jacksonville get plenty of discussion on here. That's like half your list lol. The other 16 cities can stay...
Most of those cities you mentioned don't get talked about in a positive light. Cleveland, St. Louis, Baltimore, and Detroit are constantly dogged in the forum and outside the forum. They are whipping boys for websites like Wallethub and are the poster child for either Rust Belt ruin, urban decay or the butt of jokes and social media memes. Indianapolis, Columbus, Salt Lake City, Birmingham, Portland and New Orleans get a lot of love on this forum and outside of this forum.

Old 07-18-2023, 10:02 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,037 times
Virginia Beach
Syracuse
Scranton
Reno

Old 07-19-2023, 04:28 AM

457 posts, read 349,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Most of those cities you mentioned don't get talked about in a positive light. Cleveland, St. Louis, Baltimore, and Detroit are constantly dogged in the forum and outside the forum. They are whipping boys for websites like Wallethub and are the poster child for either Rust Belt ruin, urban decay or the butt of jokes and social media memes. Indianapolis, Columbus, Salt Lake City, Birmingham, Portland and New Orleans get a lot of love on this forum and outside of this forum.
Jacksonville specifically rarely gets talked about on here. Unless it's some outraged new poster being indignant, and making an ignorant/inane comment about how it's "the largest city in Florida". Even then the discussion ends up being about how city population is a terrible metric lol, and not really about Jacksonville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City