Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2023, 10:44 AM

6,885 posts, read 8,263,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-guy View Post
Yeah. Totally forgot about old Sacramento. Never did go while I was there.
Yes. Sacramento definitely has an outdoor/water culture
Crocker Art Museum is world-class ART museum, a smaller-scale Chicago Art Institute

Old Sacramento is 5 by 5 block part of the City that has preserved 18th Century buildings, restaurants, bars, etc, on the Riverfront.

California State Railroad Museum is another great museum all about Railroads and Trains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2023, 11:14 AM

253 posts, read 122,516 times
"Old Sacramento is 5 by 5 block part of the City that has preserved 18th Century buildings, restaurants, bars, etc, on the Riverfront."

18th or 19th century?

Old 07-22-2023, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBOTfan View Post
"Old Sacramento is 5 by 5 block part of the City that has preserved 18th Century buildings, restaurants, bars, etc, on the Riverfront."

18th or 19th century?
Yes, I meant 19th century, not 18th century.

Old 07-22-2023, 07:35 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Sacto also has Sutter's Mill, which used to be a living history museum, with costumed people demonstrating stuff like candle making and gold panning. Maybe it has changed, haven't been since a school field trip in fifth grade.

I lived in Sacramento county from ages 4 to 20. Haven't spent more than a couple nights there since.
I've been to Wisconsin, and probably drove through Milwaukee at least once. But I lived in Minnesota from April to October one year; there was snow when I got there, and snow when I left.
Despite that very limited Midwest experience, I'm totally awarding Sacramento the win for weather.

Old 07-23-2023, 10:20 AM

211 posts, read 119,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Crocker Art Museum is world-class ART museum, a smaller-scale Chicago Art Institute

Old Sacramento is 5 by 5 block part of the City that has preserved 18th Century buildings, restaurants, bars, etc, on the Riverfront.

California State Railroad Museum is another great museum all about Railroads and Trains.
With that said Milwaukee has one of the most aesthetically beautiful art museums in the country that provides a really amazing note for their skyline from the waterfront.

And stuff like Holy Hill in the suburbs or some of the old military installations are nothing to scoff at. Also for urban core architecture Milwaukee probably takes it pretty easily although Sac isn’t bad.

Old 07-23-2023, 10:51 AM

253 posts, read 197,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Sacto also has Sutter's Mill, which used to be a living history museum, with costumed people demonstrating stuff like candle making and gold panning. Maybe it has changed, haven't been since a school field trip in fifth grade.

I lived in Sacramento county from ages 4 to 20. Haven't spent more than a couple nights there since.
I've been to Wisconsin, and probably drove through Milwaukee at least once. But I lived in Minnesota from April to October one year; there was snow when I got there, and snow when I left.
Despite that very limited Midwest experience, I'm totally awarding Sacramento the win for weather.
Yet you all flock to the mountains for snow.

Old 07-23-2023, 07:20 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Slight edge to Sacramento, it's the larger city by far. Milwaukee holds its own in terms of amenities but I don't think there's any category Milwaukee wins definitively, besides affordability...

Old 07-23-2023, 11:19 PM

979 posts, read 2,092,965 times
Most known serial killer

Sacramento's Dorthea Puente vs Milwaukee's Jeffrey Dahmer ? lol

Anywho, these two cities are probably in the same tier. Sac wins in some categories - weather, ethnic diversity, less crime, etc. Milwaukee has better architecture, sports, urban core.

Old 07-24-2023, 04:12 AM

Milwaukee's got a very Cool Riverfront and a huge Lakefront on Lake Michigan. It's like an ocean - "ocean" sailing on Lake Michigan and large boating is a big thing in that part of the country.

Milwaukee has more and better marinas. It's a "seafaring" city because of Lake Michigan and because of its 3 rivers that are very much a part of the city and all merge into the sea, aka Lake Michigan.....

and despite being in the heart of the midwest, Chicago and Milwaukee via Lake Michigan are connected to the Atlantic Ocean like all the other Great Lakes cities.

Bridges, very cool historic intimate pedestrian friendly Bridges is a huge stand out for Milwaukee, not far off from rivaling Pittsburgh for awesome bridges.

Milwaukee's got the Fonz statue on the riverfront, and much better, longer, interactive Riverfronts, both sides of the rivers. It has two active and lively historic entertainment districts. Distinctly German-American.

Milwaukee is "The Big City" in Wisconsin, with a distinct culture and accent. Sacramento is 2nd tier in its own state and gets alot of disdain within its own state, and overlooked by the larger cities.

Sacramento has a cool train museum, but

Milwaukee has a cooler Motorcycle museum, the Harley-Davidson Museum.
Harley-Davidson was founded in Milwaukee and its headquarters are still in Milwaukee with Design and manufacturing still done in Milwaukee.

Last edited by Chimérique; 07-24-2023 at 05:02 AM..

Old 07-24-2023, 07:18 AM

211 posts, read 119,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Milwaukee's got a very Cool Riverfront and a huge Lakefront on Lake Michigan. It's like an ocean - "ocean" sailing on Lake Michigan and large boating is a big thing in that part of the country.

Milwaukee has more and better marinas. It's a "seafaring" city because of Lake Michigan and because of its 3 rivers that are very much a part of the city and all merge into the sea, aka Lake Michigan.....

and despite being in the heart of the midwest, Chicago and Milwaukee via Lake Michigan are connected to the Atlantic Ocean like all the other Great Lakes cities.

Bridges, very cool historic intimate pedestrian friendly Bridges is a huge stand out for Milwaukee, not far off from rivaling Pittsburgh for awesome bridges.

Milwaukee's got the Fonz statue on the riverfront, and much better, longer, interactive Riverfronts, both sides of the rivers. It has two active and lively historic entertainment districts. Distinctly German-American.

Milwaukee is "The Big City" in Wisconsin, with a distinct culture and accent. Sacramento is 2nd tier in its own state and gets alot of disdain within its own state, and overlooked by the larger cities.

Sacramento has a cool train museum, but

Milwaukee has a cooler Motorcycle museum, the Harley-Davidson Museum.
Harley-Davidson was founded in Milwaukee and its headquarters are still in Milwaukee with Design and manufacturing still done in Milwaukee.

I think outside of weather and location and perhaps culture as an effect Milwaukee easily takes it

Sacramento’s midtown is fantastic but outside of that Milwaukee urban core has a lot more notable areas and the waterfront usage is far superior in Milwaukee.

Also I’d say Milwaukee generally feels bigger than Sac despite Sac having about 200-300,000 more in its metro

Proximity to things is where it loses though.

Sac has proximity to San Francisco and California coast. As well as to Tahoe and the sierra nevadas

Milwaukee has proximity to the driftless area. Door county. And obviously Chicago. With the Michigan UP not being too too far and the Minnesota north shore being drivable but quite quite far (as far as Sacramento is to much of southern Californians nature highlights)

Then Theres the weather of course.

I would say one advantage Milwaukee has is being able to afford a single family home in a walkable area while for Sac affordable homes are all in non walkable areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City