Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2023, 07:06 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
The South doesn’t have one specific Metro that obliterates all other like the other regions. That’s why it’s harder to rank in this case
Yeah, even #2, 3, 4 is hard to pick.

DFW region is pushing past 8M. Hard to say it isn't at least #2.

Atlanta may be important to the SE, but hard to say it is more important than the other 3.

Houston and Miami are more international than the other 2, and Houston is the capital of a major industry.

For me either DFW, Houston or Miami would be top level and Atlanta next. Of course, in OPs map DC is included in the south, so it would be above all the others.

Old 07-21-2023, 07:20 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
What would be the Number 1 and Number 2 City of the Desert Southwest?
Phoenix takes a clear lead at #1. In some aspects Las Vegas has a bigger profile, but Phoenix has more than double the population city and metro area.

The real discussion in this thread is in the South because you'll get several different answers.

Old 07-21-2023, 07:33 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,281,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Yeah, even #2, 3, 4 is hard to pick.

DFW region is pushing past 8M. Hard to say it isn't at least #2.

Atlanta may be important to the SE, but hard to say it is more important than the other 3.

Houston and Miami are more international than the other 2, and Houston is the capital of a major industry.

For me either DFW, Houston or Miami would be top level and Atlanta next. Of course, in OPs map DC is included in the south, so it would be above all the others.
Spot on. Good point about Houston’s energy industry too, it’s got a good case. I feel like with Dallas and Atlanta you’re kind of getting the same thing, but Dallas is bigger. Miami is almost like a different country so it’s difficult to compare it to the others.

Old 07-21-2023, 07:50 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Spot on. Good point about Houston’s energy industry too, it’s got a good case. I feel like with Dallas and Atlanta you’re kind of getting the same thing, but Dallas is bigger. Miami is almost like a different country so it’s difficult to compare it to the others.
I disagree here, Dallas and Atlanta are not the same, Atlanta has a much larger cultural impact on the south, plus it serves as the prominent city for African Americans at the moment. It's clearly more important to the South for those reasons alone..IMO

Old 07-21-2023, 07:51 PM

829 posts, read 451,164 times
There is no second city in the south since there is no clear primary city. Houston/Dallas/Atlanta/Miami/DC are pretty much even imo. Atlanta is probably the most influential to the south out of the bunch but it’s nowhere near the most important. That would be DC and Houston. Every city here has a case imo which is why there’s no primary city in the region.

Old 07-21-2023, 08:02 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
True, with NY, Boston, DC, LA, SF, Chicago, even Detroit, you get international #1 & #2 cities.

Miami and Houston are the #1 & #2 international cities of the southern big 4. DFW is just so big tho.

Can't really see what Atlanta is better than the others in, other than being closer to Alabama, and I don't think that is such a prize.

Culture is a BS category. At the height of its motown days I still would have ranked Chicago ahead of Detroit. Heck, Detroit would have had stiff competition for #2 back then too, as Cleveland held more influence back then than it does now.

Miami has as much cultural influence as Atlanta, and if cultural influence was a thing New Orleans would be whooping both Houston and DFW butt. Heck Nashville would have more cultural influence.

I do agree that none of the big 4 clearly outpaces the other, but I think ATL is the least of the 4 for a number of reasons. Culture is gummy bear metrics

Old 07-21-2023, 08:12 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
There is no second city in the south since there is no clear primary city. Houston/Dallas/Atlanta/Miami/DC are pretty much even imo. Atlanta is probably the most influential to the south out of the bunch but it’s nowhere near the most important. That would be DC and Houston. Every city here has a case imo which is why there’s no primary city in the region.
I honestly think that we should do a poll with DC, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, and Miami to see how people view the cities, regarding the most important in the region.

Old 07-22-2023, 12:12 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Northeast- 1. NYC, 2. Boston
Midwest - 1. Chicago 2. Minneapolis
South - 1. None, 2. Charlotte
West. 1. LA 2. San Francisco

Old 07-22-2023, 05:16 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Actually, for the NE: It would go NYC and either DC or Boston...DC isn't southern enough to be included in the SE.

Atlanta is the de facto capital of the south. I'm not even sure why we are discussing any other city. It has a influence that the other big three can't match. However, number #2 would probably be Houston or Miami. Dallas has a big economy, but it's not influential.

Midwest: Chicago and I'm undecided between Minneapolis and Detroit. Yet, I'm leaning Detroit because of its past influence.

West: LA and San Francisco
Yeah in the most practical sense and business oriented sense today the mid-Atlantic is lumped together with the Census designated Northeast (meaning nothing below DC metro). The mid-South and Texas is more often lumped together with the Southeast in almost all practical modern business senses to make up the South. Very few business or even government organizations utilize the Census to separate operations, which I think in the last 50/60 years haven't had major designation updates.

Northeast/Mid-Atlantic

1. New York. 2. DC.

South/Southeast Is the closest.

1. Atlanta? 2. Houston? Idk just a hunch. Atlanta is the SE defacto capital in many ways, but overall there's a lot of points for the Texas cities on size and economy.

Midwest

1. Chicago 2. Detroit

West

1. LA 2. SF

Although this should probably break up into Mountain West also:

1. Denver 2. Salt Lake

Old 07-22-2023, 06:26 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Phoenix takes a clear lead at #1. In some aspects Las Vegas has a bigger profile, but Phoenix has more than double the population city and metro area.

The real discussion in this thread is in the South because you'll get several different answers.
I was wondering what the Top City out West would be outside the Pacific Rim West. Mountain West and Desert Southwest between Phoenix and Denver and it seems like Denver would still take the cake, Phoenix included

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...denver-co.html
Denver vs Phoenix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City