Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area is acceptable for IRR?
Western United States 29 58.00%
Southern United States 6 12.00%
Midwestern United States 1 2.00%
Northeastern United States 14 28.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 12:13 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times

Advertisements

Would it be the West, the South, the Midwest, or the Northeast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 01:35 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,847 times
Here's a summary synopsis to save the debate from all of the debates that I have heard on City-Data, and to an extent have personally seen:

West: The most accepting region overall, although Latinos would face the biggest IR dating barrier (and to an extent, cause the most IR dating barriers). Also, watch out for some of the overly hyped liberal cities (mainly SF and LA) as they have some under-the-surface racial issues that causes certain minorities to be excluded from being seen as IR datable. Everywhere else, even the rural areas, are rather easy-going with it.

Midwest: The Rustbelt region and rural parts are very segregated, which will cause problems. But I tend to find that's it more class-based (IOW, if you have the financial access, you'll be able to "buy off" some of the racist resistance to IR dating). The winner in this category definitely goes to Minneapolis, but there are other cities where you could find a neighborhood or suburb that you'll do fine dating IR.

South: There are two sides to it: the New South and Deep South. As for the New South (most of the major cities in Virginia, North Carolina, Texas, and Tampa, Florida), there isn't much of a big deal to it anymore; those are the places that have truly moved on and could possibly argue as being among the most accepting places for IR couples (particularly Houston)! As for the other major cities in Florida including Miami, as well as Atlanta and Dallas, even though they're considered the "New South" it's a mixed bag, with usually the suburbs being more accepting or IR than the cities themselves (DC, although no longer culturally Southern, depicts this "mixed bag" scenario as well). As for the Old/Deep South, it's not even worth talking about.

Northeast: It touts as being very liberal and "tolerant" but in reality, unless you're Asian (either East or South Asian), an "assimilated" Latino, or a financially rich black woman, it's probably the worst region for IR dating overall. Two reasons for this is that 1) not only racial, but national and ethnic identity is heavily emphasized in the Northeast, and 2) there is a heavy class/race correlation that exists (blacks are poor, whites/Asians are rich/well off) and hence a lot of the black stereotypes are reinforced in the minds of non-blacks by constant interaction with blacks who are poor and live (or act like they live) in the ghetto.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:22 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
Interacial meaning Blacks with Whites?

OR Blacks with Hispanics?

Whites with hispanics?

Indians with blacks?

etc..? what kind of interracial are you talking about?

or just any interracial relationships?

Old 07-29-2009, 05:38 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
As for the other major cities in Florida including Miami, as well as Atlanta and Dallas, even though they're considered the "New South" it's a mixed bag, with usually the suburbs being more accepting or IR than the cities themselves.
Bah?

I've never been to Dallas so I can't speak on any authority what their culture is like there, but have you ever been to Atlanta? What basis are you using for that assumption?

Old 07-29-2009, 06:58 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
I will have to agree that IR dating in the Midwest, Chicago specifically is going to cause controversy. Heck, among the hispanic population, which consists of cuban, puerto rican, and mexican for the most part, even then you have friction if they date each other.

Since it is the modern era, people won't say it to your face if they dislike it, but they will definitely talk behind your back. Like "OMG did you hear that John's dating a black girl? ... oh HEY JOHN! Nice day isn't it?" Or "It's cool that Sarah's dating an asian dude, but what will their kids look like?" And other snide comments. There's also socio-economic status involved since many parts of the South Side are black and poor (not all, but most) and even recent African immigrants do not like to associate with the blacks descended from earlier immigrants as they are seen as "lesser" due to demeanor, culture, etc.

Insofar as where I live, Seattle, people couldn't care less. I married a Japanese woman and I'm a white American, and no one has questioned it or thought down of it. When I went back to Chicago my family was accepting of it, including my grandfather who fought against them in WWII, but a few friends thought it funny. If I were to marry a black girl, look out! I KNOW my little bro, my dad, my sis to a lesser extent, and a lot of my friends would think I very odd and probably shun me.

Oh well. It's progress from the outright racism that the grandparents and some parents of the Gen X generation showed and spoke freely of. Maybe in a generation or two it'll be more relaxed.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:36 AM

259 posts, read 455,055 times
I would have to say the South or Mid-Atlantic.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:44 AM

767 posts, read 2,066,422 times
My vote is for the West. I would say definitely not the South or the Midwest as those regions still seem to have a fairly large contingent of racist, redneck people, particularly in the smaller towns, who tend to hate interracial relationships (esp. if it is a black man and a white woman).

Old 07-29-2009, 07:59 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Bah?

I've never been to Dallas so I can't speak on any authority what their culture is like there, but have you ever been to Atlanta? What basis are you using for that assumption?
Well, I did live in Atlanta for a short time. I am a black male that dates blacks, whites, Asians, and Latinas (basically any race as long as she is a good woman). In Atlanta, there is a HUGE black population that look down on black guys like me. I am considered to be a "sellout" to these folks. Atlanta is more accepting towards two black guys dating each other than it is towards guys like me. If you don't believe me, ask a black guy what it is like riding the MARTA train with his "white gurl" as they pronounce it in the ATL. Atlanta is without a doubt "New South", but there is still a huge "Old South" presence in Atlanta. Atlanta has attracted newcomers of ALL kinds (ignorant newcomers and tolerant newcomers). Don't ever forget that fact.

North Carolina voted for America's first biracial president. Georgia did not.

Nuff said...

Old 07-29-2009, 08:44 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
NE or West Coast. Although I am old enough to remember even in NYC back in the 50s when it was frowned upon. My best friend in elementary school was a black girl from South Carolina. We got picked on a lot from the other kids in school. I will not say what some of these kids said to me about my friend. The school was overwhelming white, except for about 5 kids they bused in from Harlem, and my friend who moved from SC. When we went out and around the city, nobody (adults) really said anything to us, but we did get stared at a bit. I must say that once when I went with her and her Mom to their church in Harlem, the people at the church, kids and adults, were very, very nice to me. I cannot speak about interracial dating at this time since I was just a kid. I did see interracial couples on the streets then, but it was rare and not like it is today. Nobody would so much as give a second glance to it now on the streets of NYC. There is just plain too much of a mix of ethnicities, races, that how in the world would anyone even know whose parents are biracial, multi ethnic, etc., etc. When you come right down to it, isn't this the reason some people are/were against interracial dating? I have read some of the comments from the Loving v. Virginia case, and believe it or not, this WAS said. "If God did not want separate races, he wouldn't have made them separate." It is very interesting read and case.

I think the changing factor was the late 60s with the hippie culture. It had a major impact in NYC, and probably even more so, on the West Coast. I do know a LOT changed in NY after that.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:14 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
When you come right down to it, isn't this the reason some people are/were against interracial dating? I have read some of the comments from the Loving v. Virginia case, and believe it or not, this WAS said. "If God did not want separate races, he wouldn't have made them separate." It is very interesting read and case.
I learned about that case in school. And YES, loss of "racial identity" was the basis behind interacial dating being illegal in this country at one point.

Today, there are still MANY areas of this country (and the World) where interacial dating is frowned upon for the same ignorant reasons. Ethnic pride/superiority is the monster that keeps interacial intolerance alive. There is nothing wrong with ethnic pride, but when someone confuses that pride with superiority, look out. I am proud to be black!!! However, being black doesn't make me better, stonger, smarter, or "chosen" more than someone who is not black. Some folks actually think they are "chosen" because they belong to a certain ethnic group. You people know who you are (and you know what area of this wonderful country you live in) so I will just end it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City