Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the better skyline
Vancouver 55 67.90%
Boston 26 32.10%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2023, 09:07 AM

3,525 posts, read 2,317,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Vancouver is underwhelming/very monotonous architecturally--honestly one of my least favorite skylines in North America.

Boston is underwhelming in terms of height.

I'm still going with Boston, as it undoubtedly has more memorable and prettier signature towers.
Ugh, Boston's tallest buildings are almost 800' by roof height (not spires), I don't think you realize how tall that is. It's #7 in the country by +150m buildings.

Boston has more +600' buildings than Seattle (9), is tied with Philly & LV (10), and shade under SF/Dallas/Atanta (11).

The gap opens with LA & Houston (+20) and then after that you are in Miami, Chicago, NYC territory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2023, 09:25 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
The Boston money-shot: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fyvp12tX...jpg&name=large

Old 08-06-2023, 09:27 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Ugh, Boston's tallest buildings are almost 800' by roof height (not spires), I don't think you realize how tall that is. It's #7 in the country by +150m buildings.

Boston has more +600' buildings than Seattle (9), is tied with Philly & LV (10), and shade under SF/Dallas/Atanta (11).

The gap opens with LA & Houston (+20) and then after that you are in Miami, Chicago, NYC territory.
It is high, yeah. But Boston plateau’s so it looks stumpy lol

Old 08-06-2023, 09:39 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
It is high, yeah. But Boston plateau’s so it looks stumpy lol
Right, it's the relative differential that makes the difference visually. But still, I do think its tallest buildings make up for it in character.

Old 08-06-2023, 10:15 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Right, it's the relative differential that makes the difference visually. But still, I do think its tallest buildings make up for it in character.
Which is why Philly looks a lot better than Boston. Boston has way more skyscrapers, but Philly has that differential.

Old 08-06-2023, 10:39 AM

2,385 posts, read 2,339,384 times
Vancouver no contest.

Old 08-06-2023, 10:55 AM

5,761 posts, read 11,363,264 times
Last I checked, Vancouver BC is in Canada. This is the general US forum. Why post a Vancouver BC topic here?

Old 08-06-2023, 10:59 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Last I checked, Vancouver BC is in Canada. This is the general US forum. Why post a Vancouver BC topic here?
Per the guidelines.

"General US is the best place to post threads seeking informational comparisons between two or more areas within the U.S. and Canada. (Comparing North American to non-North American areas is not allowed in the General US forum.) If you are deciding between a move to Portland, Maine and a move to Portland, Oregon; General US is the one forum at City-Data where you can get feedback on both areas. (Since cross-posting the same thread in two or more forums is against City-Data's Terms of Service, that is your only option within the rules for such comparison threads!)"

https://www.city-data.com/forum/gene...eneral-us.html

Old 08-06-2023, 12:08 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 5 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 976,625 times
I'm going to go with Boston.

Vancouver would win on sheer volume and spread (with far more mid-rises and apartment buildings surrounding its downtown), however, Vancouver looks too uniform / copy+paste. Boston's architecture is rich and historical. I like the contrast of new and old.

Also Vancouver's architecture sort of reminds me of Miami or even Honolulu (modern/ beach city vibes), which is unexpected, because Vancouver is not a beach city.

Old 08-06-2023, 12:34 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
I'm going to go with Boston.

Vancouver would win on sheer volume and spread (with far more mid-rises and apartment buildings surrounding its downtown), however, Vancouver looks too uniform / copy+paste. Boston's architecture is rich and historical. I like the contrast of new and old.

Also Vancouver's architecture sort of reminds me of Miami or even Honolulu (modern/ beach city vibes), which is unexpected, because Vancouver is not a beach city.
Parts of Vancouver do have a copy and paste look. Blame that on Concord Pacific, who bought the old World's Fair grounds around False Creek. Many of their buildings built in the 1990's to early 2000's have a similar look. They also built in Toronto...same looking buildings. This is mainly in that area. Newer buildings have a far different vibe.

That doesn't mean Vancouver doesn't have older buildings, but being only incorporated as a city in 1886, it naturally will not have the age of Boston's buildings.

Yaletown and Gastown are two downtown areas with older buildings. Of course these aren't represented in any skyline views..so they tend to be missed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzGY7E_sgys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu8Gp64XJK4

As for Vancouver being a beach town, I suppose it depends on how one defines it. People don't necessarily come to Vancouver for beaches, but once they are here, they certainly enjoy them. We do have North America's largest nude beach as well. 8 K long, Wreck Beach.

Vancouver has beaches downtown, and others walkable to downtown. The season is May through September, and during those months, Vancouver feels very much like what I consider to be a beach town.

Spanish Banks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtDFkD659xQ

Kitsilano ( Kits ) Beach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRDmWuVlx8o

I have never been to Boston, so can only judge from the photos. Boston looks nice, but Vancouver's skyline ( there are four different views ) is more dramatic looking IMO.

Last edited by Natnasci; 08-06-2023 at 12:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City