Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best chance for population recovery?
Chicago 8 7.21%
Philadelphia 11 9.91%
Boston 20 18.02%
Detroit 5 4.50%
Washington DC 57 51.35%
Baltimore 0 0%
Milwaukee 1 0.90%
Buffalo 0 0%
Cleveland 0 0%
Pittsburgh 3 2.70%
St Louis 1 0.90%
Other 5 4.50%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2023, 05:21 PM

3,467 posts, read 3,388,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I had a friend who lived in Indy, and he referred to his hometown as "Indianoplace."

Given that the shortest highway route to my hometown from here is via I-70, the principal east-west Interstate across the country's midsection, I've passed through Indianapolis more times than I care to count. I think I've stopped there once. I remember my stops in Columbus more than I do my stop in Indy. I had relatives who lived in Edwardsville, Ill., in the part of Greater St. Louis they call "Metro East."

I can't say I'm intimately famlirar with all four of the big Midwest cities on I-70, but I'm familiar enough with them to share your head-scratching over Indy. My guess is it grew because the state capital was placed there because of its relatively central location in the state. You may also note that Columbus is also just about dead center in Ohio.
The core downtown area, and some of the nearby neighborhoods of Indy are nice. I'd say there are nice areas in Indy, for sure. But yeah, I can see some people thinking Indy may not have character in its newer developed areas. I'd say even in Indy there are some nice neighborhoods, like Fountain Square and Irvington.

I guess after seeing a lot of cities, that I've been to others with even less character. For example, Denver and Phoenix didn't have a lot of character to me. Ah well, for some cities where their growth happened later, you'll inevitably run into some newer built up areas that may not have as much character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2023, 05:35 PM

1,122 posts, read 927,393 times
DC.
Boston would probably be at ~725,000 if not for Covid.
The North suburbs should continue to close the gap
on the Metro reaching toward ~1950 pop.
What was the Metro in 1950?
It would be significant since there were so many factories in Cambridge
and the North suburbs.

Old 10-24-2023, 05:50 AM

12,173 posts, read 8,046,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
DC.
Boston would probably be at ~725,000 if not for Covid.
The North suburbs should continue to close the gap
on the Metro reaching toward ~1950 pop.
What was the Metro in 1950?
It would be significant since there were so many factories in Cambridge
and the North suburbs.
Boston has most likely hit the 700,000 feat again, the ACS estimates base off of the census and go from there.

NYC is probably inching towards 9 million. DC is definitely well over 700,000.

The ACS is garbage at estimating Northeast/dense cities. And no, they didn't overestimate cities in 2020 lol.

Old 10-24-2023, 05:54 AM

14,201 posts, read 9,103,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Boston has most likely hit the 700,000 feat again, the ACS estimates base off of the census and go from there.

The ACS is garbage at estimating Northeast/dense cities. And no, they didn't overestimate cities in 2020 lol.
If anything, the estimates seem to underestimate their growth.

Old 10-24-2023, 05:59 AM

14,034 posts, read 15,048,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

My working theory is they are really bad at non traditional households. Either immigrants living with Aunts/Uncles/Cousins or unrelated young professionals moving around while never being in an actual lease
Vs SFH purchase and sales and people being on the actual lease are much more easily tracked are the vast majority of moves in like Kansas City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City