Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sacramento vs San Francisco
Sacramento 17 34.00%
San Francisco 33 66.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2023, 11:55 AM

6 posts, read 11,281 times

Advertisements

I did a forum search and was surprised not to find a thread like this (if there is one, feel free to merge this).

Personally, I vastly prefer Sacramento to San Francisco, and it boggles my mind that SF continues to be as exorbitantly expensive and sought-after as it is.

In my view, Sacramento has:

-Better climate (far more sunny days, less humidity, better fall foliage)
-Less of a homeless problem (still has this problem, but it's not quite as bad as SF)
-Cleaner
-More diverse and balanced politically
-Way, way, way more affordable
-Just as much to do for locals (restaurants, bars, zoo, etc)
-Just as much natural beauty

Agree? Disagree? Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2023, 11:58 AM

12,829 posts, read 9,547,378 times
To each their own.

Old 08-14-2023, 01:02 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
I think nowadays its Sacramento. Its wildin out there in the Bay area.

Old 08-14-2023, 01:18 PM

2,335 posts, read 2,284,327 times
I’m sticking with SF. Cities go through good times and bad, it’ll be back.

Old 08-14-2023, 01:18 PM

1,036 posts, read 565,754 times
Sacramento can’t be too bad if it produced Joan Didion and Greta Gerwig no?

Old 08-14-2023, 01:24 PM

211 posts, read 119,665 times
Sacramento has great proximity to Tahoe and a pretty decent little urban core...........

But, San Francisco is just SOOOOO much more consistently urban (also renting in Sac isn't really that much cheaper than the Bay) has a WAYYYYYYYYY better immediate setting and is also connected to Oakland which has a lot to offer, its own fairly scenic setting, and a lot of good food (even if it's going through a very rough time with crime and homelessness right now)

Sac is a cool city, but it's hard to beat San Francisco's topography and consistent walkability. San Francisco still has plenty of safe orderly neighborhoods too and to get scenery as good as SF in Sac, you'd have to drive to like Tahoe or Santa Cruz.

At present, I'd probably rate Sac above Oakland just because of how bad the crime has gotten there, but behind SF.

Sac is def better to settle down and have a family in though.

Old 08-14-2023, 02:05 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,711,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I think nowadays its Sacramento. Its wildin out there in the Bay area.
Please elaborate. Are you talking about crime? Because the two biggest cities in the Bay Area - San Jose and San Francisco - have among the lowest murder rates of any major cities in the country. Sacramento has a much higher violent crime and murder rate than most of the Bay Area.

Old 08-14-2023, 02:31 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,292,165 times
Sac is more scenic at ground level.

When people talk about San Francisco being scenic, they're likely talking about a zoomed out view including waterways and bridges.

SF doesn't have an answer to things like Locke, Folsom, UC Davis.

Also found it much more easy to spontaneously vibe with people in Sac in recent visits.

Old 08-14-2023, 02:44 PM

2,335 posts, read 2,284,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Sac is more scenic at ground level.

When people talk about San Francisco being scenic, they're likely talking about a zoomed out view including waterways and bridges.

SF doesn't have an answer to things like Locke, Folsom, UC Davis.

Also found it much more easy to spontaneously vibe with people in Sac in recent visits.
Ummm, Stanford? Berkeley?

Not in SF proper, but UC Davis isn’t in Sacramento either.

Old 08-14-2023, 02:56 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,292,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Ummm, Stanford? Berkeley?

Not in SF proper, but UC Davis isn’t in Sacramento either.
I should have just said Davis and not UC Davis, my mistake. Didn't intend to invoke the prestige of the University, but the town surrounding it.

As a college town, I don't consider Berkeley or Stanford answers to Davis, and I doubt most people reading this would either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City