Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which system will see more expansion/success?
Miami Metrorail 23 74.19%
Houston METRORail 8 25.81%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2023, 09:53 AM

8,491 posts, read 15,062,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Not just the people for Northern areas moving to Miami, but those international migrants, many come from large mega cities of their own with much greater transit systems than what is provided in much of the US. I guess Houston has this too though.
I don't understand what that has to do with anything? Both cities indeed have a large chunk of their populations from such places. Even those that aren't from there can at least conceptualize this as it's not exactly a secret why those other cities are the way they are and living in Florida or Texas doesn't give one more or less knowledge on those things.

The matter here is what is the priority for the local government. Do they see value in investing in transit AND do they have the money to do that. While certainly ones passion for the topic can sway things, that's all talk unless there are actual developments. Now, Miami has done well with what they've done but it's a far cry from a system where most Miamians could live car free.

Honestly, I think the perception that Miami is "better" at this than what the numbers show is that Miami is a massive tourist destination and Houston is not. Tourists are more likely to walk, use transit or ridesharing because {drum roll} they don't live there. Since Miami does a really good job concentrating the type of activities tourists would want to take part in (shopping, dining, everything is just a few minutes away from the beach) one could go there and assume that this is the lifestyle for everyone when it reality it's mostly people who don't live there.

You see this same sort of thing in Las Vegas, although worse because Miami is far more walkable than Las Vegas. With that said, I think Miami could get to this nirvana more easily because their metro population is hemmed in due to natural constraints (not altruism unlike what people like to say). This is a clear advantage over Houston since they have far fewer natural barriers to development and have spread out accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2023, 10:33 AM

10,095 posts, read 6,782,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I don't understand what that has to do with anything? Both cities indeed have a large chunk of their populations from such places. Even those that aren't from there can at least conceptualize this as it's not exactly a secret why those other cities are the way they are and living in Florida or Texas doesn't give one more or less knowledge on those things.

The matter here is what is the priority for the local government. Do they see value in investing in transit AND do they have the money to do that. While certainly ones passion for the topic can sway things, that's all talk unless there are actual developments. Now, Miami has done well with what they've done but it's a far cry from a system where most Miamians could live car free.

Honestly, I think the perception that Miami is "better" at this than what the numbers show is that Miami is a massive tourist destination and Houston is not. Tourists are more likely to walk, use transit or ridesharing because {drum roll} they don't live there. Since Miami does a really good job concentrating the type of activities tourists would want to take part in (shopping, dining, everything is just a few minutes away from the beach) one could go there and assume that this is the lifestyle for everyone when it reality it's mostly people who don't live there.

You see this same sort of thing in Las Vegas, although worse because Miami is far more walkable than Las Vegas. With that said, I think Miami could get to this nirvana more easily because their metro population is hemmed in due to natural constraints (not altruism unlike what people like to say). This is a clear advantage over Houston since they have far fewer natural barriers to development and have spread out accordingly.
I disagree. It’s not about tourism. And not even really about demographics. Miami historically has done more for its transit infrastructure. The only reason I didn’t run away with it here is because it seems to be at a standstill for improvement (which is what OP asked)

Old 08-23-2023, 11:53 AM

9,567 posts, read 5,665,569 times
Miami last November proposed two expansions to its current MetroRail & Metromover systems :

Metro Mover :
Miami-Dade County announced plans to pursue a one-seat ride solution for the Miami Beach transit corridor known as Baylink – an alternative to the previous monorail plan. The community-preferred, one-seat option with an expansion of Metro Mover to connect downtown Miami to Miami Beach connecting Baylink to Metrorail and eliminating the need for riders to transfer.

The project is expected to have a capital cost of $1 billion, with 75% coming from Miami-Dade and the remaining 25% from the Florida Department of Transportation.
Miami-Dade county expects to begin construction on the Metromover expansion to South Beach in 2025, with operations beginning by 2029.

MetroRail :

Miami-Dade County votes to accelerate Metrorail's northern extension to the Hard Rock Stadium / Broward County line :

The first phase of development will be an 8-mile extension of the Metrorail to the Hard Rock Stadium at NW 199th Street and a station at Hard Rock Stadium, followed by the construction of additional stations throughout the corridor as well as “several new transit-oriented developments.

Miami-Dade County will not seek a private-public partnership to for the project, estimated to costs $1.9 billion. The County said funding will come in part from Miami-Dade County and the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) and the County will aggressively look for federal funding opportunities.

Old 08-23-2023, 12:47 PM

If Miami gets serious about building the line to Miami Beach, this would be a game changer.

Now they just need a line connecting some of the Western Miami neighborhoods.

Old 08-23-2023, 01:10 PM

9,567 posts, read 5,665,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
If Miami gets serious about building the line to Miami Beach, this would be a game changer.

Now they just need a line connecting some of the Western Miami neighborhoods.
Other Metromover extensions planned are for the Design district & WynWood neighborhoods and possibly Little Havana with a stop at the Marlins Ballpark.

Old 08-23-2023, 01:18 PM

4,269 posts, read 3,367,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Miami is way more influenced by the northeast, so it will continue to urbanize and become more transit-friendly.

Houston follows LA on this trend.
So the answer is Houston will expand more?

Which city in the northeast is expanding their metro system on the same scale as Los Angeles?

Also Miami is losing population, Houston isn't. Would that influence things?

Old 08-23-2023, 01:51 PM

8,491 posts, read 15,062,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I disagree. It’s not about tourism. And not even really about demographics. Miami historically has done more for its transit infrastructure. The only reason I didn’t run away with it here is because it seems to be at a standstill for improvement (which is what OP asked)
I was talking more about pedestrian activity than anywhere else. Miami has been ahead for a while because they made an investment in heavy rail instead. That's a much better base to build from than just surface light rail.

Old 08-23-2023, 03:30 PM

4,269 posts, read 3,367,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Miami. They have a mix of heavy, light, and commuter rail. Houston has a bunch as trams. They will likely have the first true high speed rail line to connect to Dallas, so that's something i suppose.
Any light rail system is a tram.

Also, ridership per capita for both systems is about on par with MARTA, so I"m not buying that Miami is any more of a transit city than Houston.

Old 08-23-2023, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Any light rail system is a tram.

Also, ridership per capita for both systems is about on par with MARTA, so I"m not buying that Miami is any more of a transit city than Houston.
I’ve lived in both Miami and Houston within this year at some point. Miami is absolutely more of a transit city than Houston.

Miami is uniquely designed linearly so it’s easier to set up routes there. The main issue in Miami is it’s lack of expansion

Old 08-24-2023, 10:30 PM

14,367 posts, read 9,270,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Interesting observation. The head of Central Houston, Inc. came from Los Angeles…
Hmmm.

I visited Houston in 2019, and as I drove around the area, my impression was, "This is Texas' answer to LA." Right down to the palm trees, a suburb named Pasadena and freeways full of Mario Andretti wannabes all doing 70 in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

I've also been to Miami, and it seemed to me that the city — or at least its core — was more adapted to rail transit. The Metromover actually took me from the hotel we stayed in at the north edge of downtown to Brickell and other interesting local destinations.

Not that inner Houston lacks them. And had I had time to learn the bus system, I might have learned how to navigate them on public transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City