Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fairfax Co. or Santa Clara Co.
Fairfax County 17 56.67%
Santa Clara County 13 43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 11:29 AM

16 posts, read 15,448 times

Advertisements

Which of them has a higher quality of life?
Indicators:

Safety
Income
Climate
Health
Diversity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2023, 12:22 PM

6,372 posts, read 4,985,124 times
Lived in Fairfax for a bit (job training program) and have worked in Santa Clara (lived in San Mateo and then San Francisco).

Santa Clara has the city of San Jose within it, which makes it far and away more urban. Fairfax's transit is better between cities in the county (thanks to the Orange and Silver DC Metro lines) but Santa Clara's bus coverage is probably better. It's just a more consistently developed area --- Fairfax is more like a bunch of separate towns connected by roads.

Santa Clara's crime rates are probably higher (while still below average especially for an urban area).

As for diversity, Santa Clara has more Asians and is one of the most Asian counties not in Hawaii (if not the most). Fairfax has more blacks. Hispanics, probably an edge to Santa Clara. Socioeconomically, Santa Clara probably has more extremes in both directions.

Fairfax is significantly more affordable. When I was looking at rents in Santa Clara, even in the shabbier, more isolated parts of east/northeast San Jose I wasn't seeing much under $2000.

Health, probably a wash. I'd guess Santa Clara has a slightly higher life expectancy just because coastal CA always does well on that, but we're talking about two counties probably in the top 5%.

Can't really speak on job market but the Bay Area is obviously the bigger tech center. But if I were starting out in tech now, I might look more towards the DC area, just because of all the Big Tech layoffs in the Bay/Seattle which has caused a huge over-supply of local job candidates in those places. I had to accept a pretty "meh" job offer in the Seattle area after I was laid off in the Bay --- who knows how long this job market'll last, though.

Location-wise, CA is better if you like national/state parks and forests, DC is better for access to other cities and anything historical. Although I maintain that SF is still a very cool place to have access to and live in/near, COVID or no COVID.

All in all, I'd probably pick Santa Clara right now, mostly because of the density and feeling less white-picket-fence-y as a whole. If I had job offers in either county, it'd be a tougher pick, because DC/Arlington is cooler than any of the places within similar distances of Santa Clara (which SF and Oakland/Berkeley are not).

Old 09-04-2023, 12:42 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,392,009 times
Note: when I'm thinking about Santa Clara county I'm thinking of the Silicon Valley suburbs, not San Jose proper. I feel like that comparison is more apples to apples with Fairfax.

If money is no object I definitely like Santa Clara county better. I think the only thing I'd say is superior about Fairfax is that Arlington and Alexandria are better than the "downtowns" in Santa Clara county, and Fairfax definitely has easier access to DC than Santa Clara does to SF. (Santa Clara access to San Jose is okay, but.. meh).

However, Santa Clara county is just absurdly expensive. Someone with a good income can still afford a nice decently sized house in Fairfax and that is not the case at all in Santa Clara. Given that I would rather live in Fairfax personally. Life in Santa Clara would just be too cramped for my family.

As far as the criteria:
Safety - Santa Clara and Fairfax both seem super safe and suburban to me. DC and SF is kind of a tie also I guess. (DC has worse bad parts but SF has worse good parts thanks to the homeless).
Income - both are good nationally but Santa Clara county is on another level to the rest of the county here. Not even close.
Climate - Santa Clara, obviously.
Health - Not sure what this means but you would think both are fine. Santa Clara's climate is better for being active.
Diversity - Santa Clara is more ethically diverse for sure, but I find it boring how everyone works in tech. No offense but neither of these places have particularly interesting people. This is corporate (/ in Fairfax's case government bureaucracy) rat race all the way.
Location - Fairfax is a better location for city people, Santa Clara is better for outdoors people. I prefer Santa Clara's location because of the climate, but if you exclude that give me Fairfax for sure.
Job market - again, Silicon Valley is on another level than anywhere else in the USA on this front.

Last edited by whereiend; 09-04-2023 at 12:51 PM..

Old 09-05-2023, 02:16 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Santa Clara county is nice but so over priced. Fairfax offers more overall especially when price is factored in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City