Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who has the stronger future ridership/expansion prospects, Chicago CTA or D.C. Metro?
Washington D.C. WMATA 40 86.96%
Chicago CTA 6 13.04%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2023, 07:00 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,293,492 times

Advertisements

One of the big revelations from the 2023 APTA report was that the D.C. subway had surpassed the Chicago "L", perhaps the nation's most iconic urban rail, in total ridership.

https://www.apta.com/wp-content/uplo...rship-APTA.pdf

This might lead some to believe that a major shakeup in the national transit pecking order is taking place, but bus ridership numbers show that Chicago CTA with a large lead over WMATA buses in ridership.

So I don't think one or the other tells the tale, since like most major systems, the buses and rail are integrated and are effectively one system accessible from the same transit pass.

Though their transit expansion plans haven't captured attention like some other cities, Chicago was recently awarded billions of dollars in federal funding for the purpose of expanding the CTA rail red line.

Will D.C. also catch CTA in bus ridership, or will Chicago widen its lead?

Will Chicago build on the red line expansion and reclaim the number 2 spot there?

Consider the whole transit agency package-rail/bus/BRT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2023, 10:00 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
I would preface by saying at least regarding DC, that transit has been booming way up since 1st Qtr this year. The 2nd/3rd quarter numbers will truly reflect that, as Qtr 1 there was still a shut down Yellow Line, and missing 7000 series stock on the tracks, so even comparing these are a bit behind. But I'm sure Chicago and other cities have seen jumps over the course of the year too. DC Metrorail and bus both hit new peaks since the pandemic two times in the last few weeks with over 800k weekday riders. The transit agency expects with certainty for that to cross 1 million riders both bus and rail in the upcoming year or so.

Long term DC overall will see more total ridership growth across all modes I believe. WMATA led CTA in heavy rail transit riders for about a good decade pre-pandemic, it just dropped below for about a year or two post-pandemic while trains were down on the system and because of WFH. For now Chicago leads among all transit modes combined being the larger metro area, but per capita all modes of transit just edges out Chicago by percentage. This decade will remain close/competitive between the two, but the way DC and it's TOD nodes are being built up. I could see it eclipsing Chicago in all modes of transit commuter-rail, bus, light-rail, streetcar in another decade plus.

Chicago will maintain the edge in overall bus ridership total, but I'm not sure on pct long term. More BRT is planned for many DC suburbs, and there's a lot of ambitious WMATA plans going forward to increase rail capacity in the core. The Red Line will boost Chicago some and keep it relevant, but that's right about when, or just after the Purple Line opens in the MD suburbs which is expected to move about 65k weekday riders from the most recent projections. MARC is being extended into Northern Virginia soon, and this will only increase the commuter-rail numbers long term.

What has the potential to separate DC once and for all for good would be the transit loop for the Blue Line being explored that would add 16 new total stations to the heavy rail core including 4 new (superstation) transfer stations. This however is much further off from reality yet, than the Red Line is in Chicago which just secured NEPA funding to move into it's engineering phase.

Last edited by the resident09; 10-03-2023 at 10:12 PM..

Old 10-03-2023, 10:05 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Is the purple line a WMATA entity though?

Old 10-03-2023, 10:08 PM

441 posts, read 228,436 times
The CTA is f*cking garbage these days. stinky, crime ridden, doesn't come 50% of the time, and simply an unpleasant experience. I was in DC and the trains/stations there make the trains in Chicago look 3rd world. WMATA is far more modern, safer, wider trains, and more frequent trains.

Sadly, all of this can be blamed on leadership. When Rahm (a centrist pro-transit democrat mayor who actually rode the trains regularly) was in power, CTA was easily the 2nd best in the country behind NYC. Now we have a "progressive" mayor who fake acts like he cares about transit but really doesnt. Gets drove around everywhere. WMATA is expanding, increasing frequencies, and emphasizing safety, basically the exact opposite CTA is doing.

One thing I also notice is that in Chicago, alot of the land use around CTA stations is strip malls, drive thrus, vacant lots, etc. That doesn't increase ridership. In DC, its the opposite, it seemed like every station was surrounded by TOD and high density development which is good

Old 10-03-2023, 10:09 PM

Oh and I did I mention Chicago is spending damn near 4 billion for 4 new stations in a rapid declining, suburban density level area of the city? The far southside. Completely idiotic. Ridership projections are abysmal, but they're still going along with the red line extension.

Old 10-03-2023, 10:10 PM

833 posts, read 452,510 times
I’m biased to Chicago but I’ve got to say that WMATA seems to have more aggressive expansion plans. I still think Chicago has a big advantage when it comes to busses but I can see WMATA taking over when it comes to rail (if it hasn’t already). I voted for the DC metro. Also I’m very jealous of how clean and grand the metro stations look in DC. It’s definitely a much more impressive entrance to the city than those dirty 2000-3000 rail cars the CTA still has running on the blue line from O’hare (although the new 7000s are nice and there are quite a few of them on the blue line now). I also felt safer on WMATA as well. One advantage point for CTA is the flat fare system, making it much cheaper overall than metro.

Old 10-03-2023, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
Oh and I did I mention Chicago is spending damn near 4 billion for 4 new stations in a rapid declining, suburban density level area of the city? The far southside. Completely idiotic. Ridership projections are abysmal, but they're still going along with the red line extension.
To be fair, the Silver line extension in NOVA was built with "suburban density", although NOVA has some dense burbs, but it really was built with the airport in mind pre-pandemic thinking of tons of commuters taking the train out to the Tysons/Reston corridor for work, and either reverse commuting or counting on the local suburban populations that already exist there.

Old 10-03-2023, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Is the purple line a WMATA entity though?
No. Separate entities MTA (Maryland) will run it, but it connects 4 different radial spokes of Metrorail.

But if we're keeping it agency specific:

Now:
Rail-WMATA
Bus- CTA
Overall- still very close when keeping bus in the equation.

Long term:

Rail-WMATA (wider gap)
Bus- CTA (but much closer margin)
Overall- WMATA

WMATA will remain ahead in heavy rail for the foreseeable future I expect, unless they are unable to get the operating budget in order here locally by next year which could cause a transit death spiral. Outside of securing that local funding they are moving up quickly. Just wait until the end of year when APTA numbers come out, and you'll see it separate even more from CTA rail than Q1 numbers. Q2 and Q3 WMATA's been back in it's bag for sure.

https://twitter.com/AdamTuss/status/1702336866488328485

Old 10-04-2023, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
To be fair, the Silver line extension in NOVA was built with "suburban density", although NOVA has some dense burbs, but it really was built with the airport in mind pre-pandemic thinking of tons of commuters taking the train out to the Tysons/Reston corridor for work, and either reverse commuting or counting on the local suburban populations that already exist there.

There is zero comparison. The Silver Line was built to go to the airport (very useful and needed) also it passes through actually dense growing areas. Also areas with jobs like you said.

The red line extension is extending to an area that has a fast declining population, no jobs, crime ridden, and low density. The last station on the line is literally next to a garbage dump landfill lol, no TOD is being built there.

Old 10-04-2023, 04:27 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Washington. Chicago has the issue that a large swath of its city is losing a lot of population leading to some northern areas being over capacity and Soith/West running empty.

Plus most of its population growth is so close to the center of town I’d expect Walk/biking to expand faster than transit since a lot more trips will be under 1 mile

Q2 shows ~ 70k riders/day lead for the CTA.

https://www.apta.com/wp-content/uplo...-Ridership.pdf

Although the APTA doesn’t seem awfully realizable since it often directly conflicts with some agencies self published numbers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City