Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2023, 10:55 AM

3,195 posts, read 2,651,397 times

Advertisements

Another list of the coolest neighbourhoods in the world, and I definitely think this one is a weird one. Looking forward to a spirited debate on this.

North American list

1. Mid-City, New Orleans (7th worldwide)
2. Arts District, L.A (13th)
3. Fort Greene, NYC (15th)
4. Hyde Park, Chicago (19th)
5. Coral Gables, Miami (26th)
6. Richmond District, S.F (27th)
7. San Miguel Chapultepec, Mexico City (30th)
8. Downtown Montreal (36th)
9. The Annex, Toronto (38th)

Some thoughts:

1. Never heard of Coral Gables being a "cool" neighbourhood except from MYC expats, so that's hilarious. I honestly find Coral Gables boring and there are other areas of Miami that are cooler.
2. Downtown Montreal is a fantastic area, one of the cooler downtowns, but they're so many other cooler neighbourhoods in Montreal. In a way, I'm happy a MTL area is not #1 worldwide this year, since that has led to landlords shooting rents up 200% and has somewhat destroyed Rue Wellington.
3. Is Mid-City actually cool, or just mid? I know many people from N.O and I have not once heard about Mid-City.
4. The Annex is a good choice, but like other cities, I do think there are cooler neighbourhoods in the city.

https://www.timeout.com/travel/coole...s-in-the-world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2023, 11:06 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
No matter how they title it, the goal isn't the "coolest." It's to bait clicks. Generally they'll try to list different places each time to keep the juices flowing.

Old 10-20-2023, 11:15 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
The Richmond District is not the 'coolest' neighborhood in SF by a long shot.

Old 10-20-2023, 11:22 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,962,208 times
Hyde Park Chicago is not surprising. Very good arts scene and a cool vibe. If I would move back to Chicago, it will to be in the Hyde Park neighborhood.

Old 10-20-2023, 11:30 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,974,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
No matter how they title it, the goal isn't the "coolest." It's to bait clicks. Generally they'll try to list different places each time to keep the juices flowing.
That makes sense. I wouldn't give these lists much credence.

Old 10-20-2023, 11:32 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,279,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
Another list of the coolest neighbourhoods in the world, and I definitely think this one is a weird one. Looking forward to a spirited debate on this.

North American list

Some thoughts:

1. Never heard of Coral Gables being a "cool" neighbourhood except from MYC expats, so that's hilarious. I honestly find Coral Gables boring and there are other areas of Miami that are cooler.
2. Downtown Montreal is a fantastic area, one of the cooler downtowns, but they're so many other cooler neighbourhoods in Montreal. In a way, I'm happy a MTL area is not #1 worldwide this year, since that has led to landlords shooting rents up 200% and has somewhat destroyed Rue Wellington.
3. Is Mid-City actually cool, or just mid? I know many people from N.O and I have not once heard about Mid-City.
4. The Annex is a good choice, but like other cities, I do think there are cooler neighbourhoods in the city.

Admittedly, I'm puzzled by Coral Gables too. I really like the city, but it's not cool like Brickell, Wynwood, or Miami Beach.

Old 10-20-2023, 11:32 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
'Hey dudez, let's go to Fort Greene tonight!!!! Its pumpin!!!'

"Where the hell is that?"

Old 10-20-2023, 11:46 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,422,738 times
By the time these neighborhoods are considered "cool" by a publication like Time Out, they are already starting to be over-run with gawking tourists.

These places might've been "cool" a couple years ago.

With Fort Greene, it's a nice neighborhood. Lots of good bars/restaurants and leafy streets with adorable brownstones.

Cool? Eh, I mean it's an original and unique experience for a NY outsider, absolutely. But for a New Yorker, it's another decent neighborhood to occasionally pop in and visit.

Old 10-20-2023, 12:13 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post

North American list

Some thoughts:

The annex is great but definately cooler nabe's in the city. Another b.s list quite frankly. If they simply put a title like cool nabe's you need to explore in these cities it would be a 'cooler' list

Old 10-20-2023, 12:23 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
I can safely say that I've never once stepped foot in any of those neighborhoods. My Coolness Factor remains safely at Level Zero, just where it's always been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City