Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2023, 08:12 PM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times

Advertisements

Reposting my post on the winter weather thread since it got deleted:

Not technically part of the weather, but the high concentration of evergreen trees in the PNW really helps with making it less depressing in the winter. It's also nice that there's not much snow in western WA so you can drive all winter -- although it can get dicey on the highways during rain (lots of accidents. I always drive 10 under the limit)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2023, 10:22 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
If you’re looking at MI, I would suggest you take a hard look west. Grand Rapids has what you’re looking for, and is closer to much of the natural spoils in Michigan.

Check out the suburbs of East Grand Rapids and Ada. East will be more walkable, cute, neighborly. Ada has more new development and a growing town center. Both offer some of the best schools in Michigan.

Old 12-05-2023, 10:57 AM

38 posts, read 33,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
If you’re looking at MI, I would suggest you take a hard look west. Grand Rapids has what you’re looking for, and is closer to much of the natural spoils in Michigan.

Check out the suburbs of East Grand Rapids and Ada. East will be more walkable, cute, neighborly. Ada has more new development and a growing town center. Both offer some of the best schools in Michigan.
I heard the weather was a lot more gloomy and cold on the west side

Old 12-05-2023, 11:08 AM

1,320 posts, read 865,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Reposting my post on the winter weather thread since it got deleted:

Not technically part of the weather, but the high concentration of evergreen trees in the PNW really helps with making it less depressing in the winter. It's also nice that there's not much snow in western WA so you can drive all winter -- although it can get dicey on the highways during rain (lots of accidents. I always drive 10 under the limit)
Adding to this: the rare clear winter day in WA when all the mountains are visible and packed with snow is absolutely spectacular.

I lived in the Midwest for a few years, and sunny winter days are nice, but with the exception of days of fresh snowfall, there’s just not much to look at because everything is dormant.

Old 12-05-2023, 12:56 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAroundStillGoing View Post
There’s not a significant difference between West Michigan and East. You’re looking at gloomy areas of the country in this thread.

West Michigan will get more snow. If it’s going to be 25 and clouds, I actually prefer the snow.

But overall, it’s a much nicer part of the State. I think most would agree.

Old 12-05-2023, 01:11 PM

93,232 posts, read 123,842,121 times
If interested in other parts of Michigan, I'd throw out East Lansing and the Meridian Township communities of Haslett and Okemos. All nice communities with very good schools east of Lansing, with East Lansing offering walkability and events due to having Michigan State in town. There is good bus coverage on Grand River Avenue through this area due to Okemos offering shopping(Meridian Mall, Meijer, etc.) in that area as well. Haslett is on Lake Lansing. Detroit is about an hour and a half away to the east and Grand Rapids is about an hour and 15 minutes to the west.

Old 12-05-2023, 01:15 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAroundStillGoing View Post
Gloomier perhaps, though pretty much all of the Great Lakes are equally gloomy December - March. Colder it is not.

Unless you prefer/need the amenities of the a 4+ million person metro, I agree with the other posters. The western side of MI is more forested, more topographically diverse, and just more vibrant in general compared to the I-75 corridor of MI. May at least be worth a look.

Last edited by mjlo; 12-05-2023 at 01:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City