Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro area is better?
Dallas-Fort Worth, TX 9 17.31%
Houston, TX 13 25.00%
Los Angeles-Inland Empire, CA 17 32.69%
San Diego, CA 13 25.00%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2023, 08:58 AM

100 posts, read 59,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I am not sure I would equate friendly people out on the streets with employers hiring you for jobs you are not qualified to do. And the fact you are having trouble finding a job in Dallas has little to do with people overall being friendly or not. It appears you might be applying for jobs you are not qualified for hoping someone will give you a break. That is going to be hard to do anywhere. And now you have a gap of at least 7 months with no job.

Perhaps go a little north to OKC or Tulsa. Very friendly cities. Lower cost of living. Lots of jobs. I spent a month in Houston this past winter. The rudest people, most crazy drivers, etc.
Most jobs I have applied for I was overqualified, but some I was not qualified to do at all. You know, I have heard from others that Houston does have rude people, but I've never really seen it. I just see it as that it looks easier to find work there. I was the same way before I moved to DFW, I really had those rose tinted glasses on. And now the reality is, I have no job and I screwed my life up. I feel like eventually I'm gonna end up on the streets living under a bridge because nobody wants to hire me. I really screwed up my life by abandoning everything I once had. Idk if I can ever fix the potential irreversable damage I have done to myself and my career. The only other option I have is to finish my master's degree by completing an internship. Maybe then I can get my foot into the door and be hired out of it. After all, almost anybody can land an internship. I just hope that I am not told that I'd have to reapply and be interviewed again. Then I imagine my supervisor who once loved me would reject me for that job after interning and say they found a better candidate, but my resume would be kept on file. Then the rose tinted glasses would go on and I may think that it's easy to find work in San Francisco, CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2023, 08:58 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,356,136 times
Having lived in Houston and DFW (Currently), visited L.A. and SD,
L.A. best weather and recreational choices.
SD, nicest pace
Houston - most affordable

Overall - DFW which is a combo of the other three which isn't to say its best in any category but has the best mix - Economic strength, infrastructure, diversity, job opportunities, crime, cost of living, connectivity for travel/internet, and recreation.

Old 12-06-2023, 09:04 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,356,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Live in SD, am super familiar with LA, mother lives in Dallas but I'm not that familiar with Houston on a personal level.

Nightlife
At parity.... probably SD or Houston. LA has more spots in raw total but they're so scattered and the city is so vast that bar hopping/clubbing is simply not an option (granted the house parties are legendary). DFW is not a good nightlife town (but thats slowly changing).

Job market
DFW/Houston edge out LA as they are rapidly growing and it's reaching a stagnation point despite it having a major size advantage. SD is dead last in this regard. It's a retirement/navy town

Transportation
For inner-city transportation LA, followed by SD. Houston and DFW are severely lacking for cities of their size. Houston & DFW airports however are lightyears ahead of SD's.

Friendliness, Hospitality, & kindness (I do not want to end up in a city that has rude people as the majority)
Houston from what I hear has tons of Southern hospitality. Dallas is going to be more in your face "texan" while SD & LA are very "fake" in that people will ask if you're ok and not actually help you.

Entertainment
LA, followed by DFW. Houston is relatively lacking compared to the two and SD is just not large enough.

Shopping
LA by a wide margin

Crime (Which city is safer)
SD by a wide margin

Ease of making friends and meeting people
I'd wager Houston take this. It's a more culturally diverse metro than LA in practice despite not being more diverse on paper. Dallas & SD very demographically isolated (relatively) so you stay in your own camp.

The least aggressive metro area
SD by a wide margin

Weather
LA/SD

Cost of Living
Houston gives the best bang for the buck followed by Dallas. LA/SD are absolutely brutal in this regard and are some of the worst cities in this regard.

Traffic
SD has the least amount of traffic as it's half the size of the next smallest city here. DFW/Houston would be next. LA is in a tier only rivaled by NYC & DC.

Scenery
LA/SD

Air Quality
SD

Vibe
Subjective. If you want a cosmopolitan international feeling, LA. If you want retirement no worries vibe, SD. If you "murica" Dallas all day. If you wan't gulf-southern hospitably, then Houston.
Regarding your comments about public transit for DFW, your wrong. DFW has the largest light rail system in the south by far serving three counties and several cities - 6 lines, two street car lines and one heavy rail line.

As far as diversity, being a Houston native who has visited LA several times, its pretty even with L.A having more asian while Houston being more Latin.

Old 12-06-2023, 09:25 AM

474 posts, read 530,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Regarding your comments about public transit for DFW, your wrong. DFW has the largest light rail system in the south by far serving three counties and several cities - 6 lines, two street car lines and one heavy rail line.

As far as diversity, being a Houston native who has visited LA several times, its pretty even with L.A having more asian while Houston being more Latin.
I dunno if I buy Houston having more Latin influence than LA - although certainly more black and African.

As far as these 4 cities’ food scenes my order of preference would be:
  1. LA
  2. Houston
  3. Dallas
  4. San Diego (does Mexican well and OK Asian but not a whole lot going on there otherwise)

Old 12-06-2023, 09:40 AM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Everyone’s situation is different so we can’t just comment without knowing what else you have going on. Unless you have money to blow or another stream of income or someone to stay with, I would not move to another city waiting to get hired. Let alone LA with their cost of living.

It sounds like your first priority is to get hired. Since you’re in Dallas with a short drive to Houston, you may as well apply there and make the drive to the interview. Certainly better than moving without something lined up.

Are you that guy that used to live in phoenix?

Old 12-06-2023, 09:42 AM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post

No. LA is more Latin than Houston. The demographic that Houston beats out LA in is black

Old 12-06-2023, 09:52 AM

830 posts, read 451,938 times
Please have a job lined up before you move to another city. It’ll make your life significantly easier. Apply for jobs in all locations and move when you get the job.

Old 12-06-2023, 10:12 AM

100 posts, read 59,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Everyone’s situation is different so we can’t just comment without knowing what else you have going on. Unless you have money to blow or another stream of income or someone to stay with, I would not move to another city waiting to get hired. Let alone LA with their cost of living.

It sounds like your first priority is to get hired. Since you’re in Dallas with a short drive to Houston, you may as well apply there and make the drive to the interview. Certainly better than moving without something lined up.

Are you that guy that used to live in phoenix?
Yes I am. And I left Phoenix for the DFW metroplex thinking it was going to be better here. While the people are actually a lot nicer and friendlier, life still feels the same. I thought I would have a good paying job already and I imagined life to be different. It wasn't until recently that I started to miss my old life in Phoenix and missed my old job and my old career. I should have never left and abandoned everything. I did want to leave, but maybe I should have done it properly. Now I'm in this endless cycle of not finding a job and I don't ever know if I will be able to fix my situation. I got into a deep hole that seems impossible to get out of. I feel like a nobody and it's starting to make me feel so depressed, while I was a somebody in Phoenix. I definitely learned my lesson, but now I'm having to suffer the consequences.

If anyone has any advice on how to get out of this hole I dug for myself, please let me know. I made a big mistake. I kept reading comments, posts, and blogs on the internet. This one website had comments that people left Arizona and their lives improved. I kept comparing myself to those people. My life went even more downhill since leaving. I wish I'd never seen that website.

Even if hypothetically speaking I went back to Arizona which I never will because I already lived there, I'm banned from 5 companies there. Two I was fired from, one, they ended my employment before my 2 weeks ended, the other was an internship I abandoned and abruptly left, and the other I am banned from one department because I left on bad terms, even though I resigned properly. That's the past now.

If I did go back west, I'd rather choose Las Vegas or California since I never lived in those areas. But it seems like my best bet now is to stay in DFW and try to fix the mess I made. I don't know if moving to Houston would help or would make things much worse.

I hear songs now that make me so sad that I'm in this situation I got into. I'm so broken now and I started developing health problems because I've been eating much worse than before.

Old 12-06-2023, 10:42 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,846,281 times
You get out of the hole slowly, not all at once. While looking for entry-level jobs in your field, you should be picking up seasonal work in retail to get through the holiday season. Might want to watch some interview tips on youtube, I don't know. Good luck.

Old 12-06-2023, 10:49 AM

3,527 posts, read 2,320,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
No. LA is more Latin than Houston. The demographic that Houston beats out LA in is black
This. That being said, they're both melting pots for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City