Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 09:42 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,190 posts, read 7,647,547 times

Advertisements

The Trust for Public Land's ParkScore Index top 12 rankings for 2022 are below; with link to the page with top 100:

1. Washington D.C.
2. St. Paul, MN
3. Arlington, VA
4. Cincinnati, OH
5. Minneapolis, MN
6. Chicago, IL
7. San Francisco, CA
8. Irvine, CA
9. Seattle, WA
10. New York, NY
11. Portland, OR
12. Boston, MA

https://www.tpl.org/parkscore

A few methodologies behind the rankings include:

ACREAGE
INVESTMENT
AMENITIES
PUBLIC ACCESS
EQUITY
OTHER OUTLIERS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2022, 10:20 AM

8,936 posts, read 6,973,954 times
This is a respected organization so I'd give it some credence, though they have their own biases and any analysis has limitations.

They got Seattle about right. Good for access and investment, but middling for acreage.

I used to work in park advocacy in Seattle (we tried and failed to build a big park on the edge of Downtown in the 90s) and got into comparative statistics a bit. There were some interesting variables. One was that most stats were for parks departments only, but more useful comparisons often included federal parks, greenbelts, and even privately-owned parks if they were accessible to the public. Even school grounds tend to function as parks on weekends. Also plazas, regardless of private ownership. If you can sit there, should it count?

That got into the different reasons we need parks. They're for sitting. And frisbee. And baseball games. And picnics. Depending on what you value, you might be more or less inclined to include a plaza in front of an office building in your numbers.

Downtown Seattle is still lacking a big park, btw. We have some additions though.

Old 05-05-2022, 10:43 AM

1,379 posts, read 913,421 times
I wonder how their method changed over the years. Minneapolis went from number 1 to number 5 in just a few years but St Paul is now higher and kept its number 2 spot.

Old 05-05-2022, 12:11 PM

2,976 posts, read 2,068,743 times
Fresno is ranked correctly, but it does have one of the cleanest urban parks in California. It's a blessing to not have to worry about riffraff while enjoying a large park. The city is also investing hundreds of millions of dollars into more parks and trails. It won't stay near the bottom for much longer.
Lastly, there's state parks, national forests, and national parks to enjoy if you don't mind driving.

Old 05-05-2022, 01:10 PM

5,017 posts, read 6,024,136 times
LA is ranked 78 and that’s probably too high. Many of LA’s largest parks are in the same area, if not adjacent, while most of the city is very park poor.

Old 05-05-2022, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
This is a respected organization so I'd give it some credence, though they have their own biases and any analysis has limitations.

They got Seattle about right. Good for access and investment, but middling for acreage.

I used to work in park advocacy in Seattle (we tried and failed to build a big park on the edge of Downtown in the 90s) and got into comparative statistics a bit. There were some interesting variables. One was that most stats were for parks departments only, but more useful comparisons often included federal parks, greenbelts, and even privately-owned parks if they were accessible to the public. Even school grounds tend to function as parks on weekends. Also plazas, regardless of private ownership. If you can sit there, should it count?

That got into the different reasons we need parks. They're for sitting. And frisbee. And baseball games. And picnics. Depending on what you value, you might be more or less inclined to include a plaza in front of an office building in your numbers.

Downtown Seattle is still lacking a big park, btw. We have some additions though.
Seattle seems to be considered as pretty green throughout the city/neighborhoods otherwise. I think this is more gauging dedicated parks rather than plazas etc. New large scale parks just popping up take a lot of planning and investment, and being surrounded by water, and lush green neighborhoods for Seattle is still a huge plus for an urban city.

Old 05-05-2022, 01:32 PM

7,744 posts, read 5,556,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
I wonder how their method changed over the years. Minneapolis went from number 1 to number 5 in just a few years but St Paul is now higher and kept its number 2 spot.

Philly went from 15 to 32 in one year because parks and rec funding was decreased due to budget cuts. So the numbers can vary quite a lot. Does that really mean 17 cities all of a sudden had a better parks system? I don't think so, so these rankings should be taken with a grain of salt like anything.

Old 05-05-2022, 04:23 PM

7,108 posts, read 9,020,548 times
For once an accurate ranking for parks. My town St. Louis ranks 17th right below Denver seems right. 97% of residents are within a 10 minute walk of a park is one of the biggest perks the area has in my opinion.

I am still shocked Kansas City, Seattle and Boston isn't higher.

Old 05-05-2022, 06:07 PM
Status: "‘But who is the land for? The sun and the sand for?’" (set 13 hours ago)

6,841 posts, read 6,112,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I am still shocked Kansas City, Seattle and Boston isn't higher.
Looks like Boston needs some more amenities (basketball courts, dog parks, etc). It lost some points for acreage, too, but there isn’t too much the city can do about that.

Old 05-05-2022, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
LA is ranked 78 and that’s probably too high. Many of LA’s largest parks are in the same area, if not adjacent, while most of the city is very park poor.
Echo park?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City