Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 08:00 PM

6,924 posts, read 8,302,242 times

Advertisements

Sacramento's 90 degree summer highs are perfect, the more the better because 90 almost always gives you a heat index/feels like temp of 85 degrees or less because of our perfect humidity levels of 15-20%.

It never feels uncomfortablely humid either. Sacramento is neither humid-hot, like 75% of the country including Washington DC; nor bone-dry humidity like Vegas-Phoenix

Washington DC at 90F feels like 105F

Sacramento at 90F feels like 85F or less.

All those weather sites fail to give you this very important and very unique aspect of a Sacramento Summer.

Also, Sacramento is one of the few major MSA's in the country that will guarantee you Cool Summer nights and mornings of 58-62 degrees, 98% of the time;

Washington DC is horribly humid-hot-sticky-uncomfortable most nights and morning during the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2024, 08:03 PM

530 posts, read 258,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Sacramento's 90 degree summer highs are perfect, the more the better because 90 almost always gives you a heat index/feels like temp of 85 degrees or less because of our perfect humidity levels of 15-20%.

It never feels uncomfortablely humid either. Sacramento is neither humid-hot, like 75% of the country including Washington DC; nor bone-dry humidity like Vegas-Phoenix

Washington DC at 90F feels like 105F

Sacramento at 90F feels like 85F or less.

All those weather sites fail to give you this very important and very unique aspect of a Sacramento Summer.

Also, Sacramento is one of the few major MSA's in the country that will guarantee you Cool Summer nights and mornings of 58-62 degrees, 98% of the time;

Washington DC is horribly humid-hot-sticky-uncomfortable most nights and morning during the summer.
Surprisingly, Sacramento summer temps look similar to Austin. I guess Sacramento is pretty inland? I've heard inland California isn't too much better than Texas, weather wise.

Old 04-30-2024, 08:27 PM

This isn't my first "rodeo" trip to DC.

My first visit to Washington DC was 24 years ago for the LGBTQ Millennium March on Washington in 2000.

We marched on the National Mall and "almost died" from the humid heat, that's what I remember most plus the Concert that was given at RFK Stadium hosted and performed by Tipper Gore, Elena Degeneres, George Michael, Melissa Etheridge, KD Lang, Garth Brooks, and Pet Shop Boys. It was an awesome concert so much fun.

24 years later I'm on my 12th trip...maybe more, I lost track.

I love Washington DC, ever since that first trip I've had a goal of doing all 17 of the Smithsonian Museums. Plus the other 20+ non-Smithsonian museums.

This trip involves the National Buildings Museum which is not one of the Smithsonian museums, but one of the oldest museums in DC. Excellent for design, urban planning, architecture, engineering buffs.

Also, I'll be at the National Museum of African-American History and Culture, and the Kennedy Center on the Potomac for a concert.

It's easy to compare Washington DC with Sacramento as mentioned in my first post. And, much of DC proper is flat, very flat, thank goodness otherwise it would be difficult to walk everywhere.

Washington DC is unique for the USA, parts of it feel like Paris and Berlin, certainly more than any other city in the USA.

Old 04-30-2024, 10:04 PM

6,418 posts, read 8,288,203 times
Quote:

My first visit to Washington DC was 24 years ago for the LGBTQ Millennium March on Washington in 2000.

We marched on the National Mall and "almost died" from the humid heat, that's what I remember most plus the Concert that was given at RFK Stadium hosted and performed by Tipper Gore, Elena Degeneres, George Michael, Melissa Etheridge, KD Lang, Garth Brooks, and Pet Shop Boys. It was an awesome concert so much fun.

I love Washington DC, ever since that first trip I've had a goal of doing all 17 of the Smithsonian Museums. Plus the other 20+ non-Smithsonian museums.

This trip involves the National Buildings Museum which is not one of the Smithsonian museums, but one of the oldest museums in DC. Excellent for design, urban planning, architecture, engineering buffs.

Also, I'll be at the National Museum of African-American History and Culture, and the Kennedy Center on the Potomac for a concert.

It's easy to compare Washington DC with Sacramento as mentioned in my first post. And, much of DC proper is flat, very flat, thank goodness otherwise it would be difficult to walk everywhere.

Washington DC is unique for the USA, parts of it feel like Paris and Berlin, certainly more than any other city in the USA.
Cool. I grew up near DC in the burbs, went on countless field trips to the Mall in middle/HS, have plenty of relatives that work in gov't/politics, so a bit more than 12 trips. I also lived in CA for 18 years, 15 of them being in NorCal, and plenty of friends still live in Sac and would die laughing at this silly comparison. I lost count at all the times I passed through Sac on the way to Tahoe, or the weekends I spent with friends who would regularly visit me in Oakland/SF for events/concerts/city life. Sac is fine, certainly better than many urban decayed parts of California, but the homerism for it is just a tad much imo.

I say enjoy being in a world class city while you can! Soak it up, instead of posting inflammatory arguments on CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamThomas View Post
Surprisingly, Sacramento summer temps look similar to Austin. I guess Sacramento is pretty inland? I've heard inland California isn't too much better than Texas, weather wise.
Austin is brutal during the summer (just like Sac). If you really enjoy heat, I'd suggest Phoenix or Vegas, because they're cheaper and have much better airports for escaping extreme summer temps than Sacramento.

Last edited by 04kL4nD; 04-30-2024 at 10:18 PM..

Old 04-30-2024, 10:37 PM

530 posts, read 258,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post

I say enjoy being in a world class city while you can! Soak it up, instead of posting inflammatory arguments on CD

Austin is brutal during the summer (just like Sac). If you really enjoy heat, I'd suggest Phoenix or Vegas, because they're cheaper and have much better airports for escaping extreme summer temps than Sacramento.
I love their civic pride and believe it's genuine and comes from a good place. However, comparisons like these do Sacramento a disservice, just like comparing Atlanta's urbanity to NYC>

Old 04-30-2024, 10:43 PM

5,845 posts, read 5,651,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Cool. I grew up near DC in the burbs, went on countless field trips to the Mall in middle/HS, have plenty of relatives that work in gov't/politics, so a bit more than 12 trips. I also lived in CA for 18 years, 15 of them being in NorCal, and plenty of friends still live in Sac and would die laughing at this silly comparison. I lost count at all the times I passed through Sac on the way to Tahoe, or the weekends I spent with friends who would regularly visit me in Oakland/SF for events/concerts/city life. Sac is fine, certainly better than many urban decayed parts of California, but the homerism for it is just a tad much imo.

I don't think he's saying Sacramento is th3 same level of city as Washington. He didn't even title the thread "vs", he said Sac and DC; I think he's simply aiming to highlight some of the similarities, however few there appear to be, there are some surface similarities...

No one in or from Oakland in the last ~8-9 years should be laughing at anything about Sacramento. What was once a solid city, solidly ahead of Sac in "city life", has declined simultaneously with Sac's continued ascension, they are relative equals as cities today...

Sacramento punches toe to toe very well with similarly sized East Coast cities. This isn't a comparison to DC to see who is "stronger" or "better", he's just talking about similarities...

Old 04-30-2024, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I don't think he's saying Sacramento is th3 same level of city as Washington. He didn't even title the thread "vs", he said Sac and DC; I think he's simply aiming to highlight some of the similarities, however few there appear to be, there are some surface similarities...

No one in or from Oakland in the last ~8-9 years should be laughing at anything about Sacramento. What was once a solid city, solidly ahead of Sac in "city life", has declined simultaneously with Sac's continued ascension, they are relative equals as cities today...

Sacramento punches toe to toe very well with similarly sized East Coast cities. This isn't a comparison to DC to see who is "stronger" or "better", he's just talking about similarities...
That's true, I titled the thread "Sacramento AND Washington DC" for a reason, "not Sacramento vs. Washington DC".

My posts are just surface comparisons, obviously, you can see that. I'm sure you also noticed I didn't compare Sacramento with Paris or Berlin, rather I compared Washington DC with Paris and Berlin.

This thread is about comparisons and similarities, not arguments, again I'm sure you noticed that too.

It's exhausting some people are going to hate no matter what, and we all know they're plenty of other posters on here that advocate and talk only about their city or only one city, and there is nothing wrong with that. I don't call them out for it, or even care. Just let them be.

It's amazing how one can only interpret a comparison, or even an objectable fact, as an "assault" or "delusional" if you dare show that one place is actually similar to another place in specific ways, despite the obvious dissimilarities.

It's interesting that other posters/viewers are "digging through my posts", a bit scary too.

Last edited by Chimérique; 05-01-2024 at 12:28 AM..

Old 05-01-2024, 06:28 AM

135 posts, read 61,636 times
Quote:

All the areas you mentioned are the touristy field trippy central parts. I was expecting you to at least throw in Adams Morgan or U Street rather than marching on the National Mall, the National Building Museum, RFK stadium, Kennedy Center, having a goal of quite a few Smithsonians. There’s *way* more to DC than that area and that vibe.

Old 05-01-2024, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If the answer is "not really," then it's not because of Sacramento's proximity to SF but rather because of what it lacks in and of itself in comparison to DC. The difference in their roles within their respective regions is already understood.
You can compare any city you want with any other city for any specific reason. Read my posts, should you desire, especially the first page for my comparisons.

The fact that Sacramento is so close to the larger SF Bay Area is more of reason why one could compare Sacramento with Washington DC.

For example, if you work for a lobbyist firm, or for a politician in DC and you are familiar with working in a gov't town like DC but now you have an opportunity to live on the West Coast working for a lobbyist or politician based in Sacramento and they need you to actually live in the capital city, Sacramento, there are many specific similarities with DC, and having the SF Bay Area "next door" is just an added bonus.

Old 05-01-2024, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAmerica_US View Post
All the areas you mentioned are the touristy field trippy central parts. I was expecting you to at least throw in Adams Morgan or U Street rather than marching on the National Mall, the National Building Museum, RFK stadium, Kennedy Center, having a goal of quite a few Smithsonians. There’s *way* more to DC than that area and that vibe.
Yes, I've done plenty in DC, like outdoors stuff at Rock Creek, and some wild nightlife stuff, the baseball stadium and Capital One Arena areas were pretty cool on prior trips. But, I'm not here for any of that, on this trip, except for a concert at the Kennedy Center.

My last trip was in 2021 or 2022, the city was "silent", because of covid restrictions, a lot of things were closed and dumbed-down, but it was actually quite a great way to experience the different neighborhoods on bike, as traffic was quite light, going from one neighborhood to the next, Capital east end, Adams Morgan, all the way over to Georgetown, and crossing the Arlington bridge into Virginia all by bike.

I've yet to do the Potomac trail that takes you all the way down to George Washington-Mt. Vernon spot, I'd like to do that, but not on this trip.

if you are a local you might take for granted the 17 different Smithsonian museums, and other "touristy" field trippy things. Locals of any city often don't partake in what are known as touristy things but often it actually can be a cool way to experience your own city from a different perspective.

My march with a million others on the National Mall back in 2000 was a political march. Now I'd rather just walk the National Mall with dog in hand because it's a beautiful space, not for political reasons.

Last edited by Chimérique; 05-01-2024 at 07:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City