Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 12:32 AM

6,956 posts, read 8,345,910 times

Advertisements

Miami Metro vs. DC Metro

I am curious how these two heavy rail metro systems compare?

Pros, Cons, likes, dislikes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2024, 05:45 AM

745 posts, read 507,664 times
Are u comparing the metros or the rail systems?

Old 05-14-2024, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
Are u comparing the metros or the rail systems?
I am curious how these two heavy rail metro systems compare?

Old 05-14-2024, 11:51 AM

287 posts, read 175,238 times
That's like comparing a Porsche 911 to a Little Tikes Cozy Coupe

Old 05-16-2024, 08:24 AM

146 posts, read 67,709 times
If Miami just built a couple more lines… especially to Miami Beach, Miami’s metro would be so amazing.

Mass transit is great when it’s fast, rapid, comfortable, frequent and cover an extensive part of where people want to go.

If I visit Miami again, I’m renting a car. There’s too much of Miami I want to experience, especially the beach, rather than be confined to the transit system. Mass transit should feel like freedom of mobility, not confinement.

Fingers crossed the day the stars align to push Miami to a broad expansion of their metro

Old 05-16-2024, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAmerica_US View Post
If Miami just built a couple more lines… especially to Miami Beach, Miami’s metro would be so amazing.

Mass transit is great when it’s fast, rapid, comfortable, frequent and cover an extensive part of where people want to go.

If I visit Miami again, I’m renting a car. There’s too much of Miami I want to experience, especially the beach, rather than be confined to the transit system. Mass transit should feel like freedom of mobility, not confinement.

Fingers crossed the day the stars align to push Miami to a broad expansion of their metro
I've taken the MiamiMover, which is an elevated electrified automated people mover that runs through and above Downtown Miami within 3 different loops, 21 stations, its pretty legit.

Also, I've taken Miami's heavy rail metro many years ago; 23 stations, 2 lines,

and it goes to Miami International via a user friendly airport airtrain called the MIA Mover, not to be confused with the Miamimover which is a completely different system located in downtown Miami. All these train systems are pretty legit better than many light rail systems.

Most recently, I took Florida's high speed rail (Brightline) from Miami up to several destinations north.

Old 05-16-2024, 09:21 AM

2,219 posts, read 3,915,741 times
If you're just comparing heavy rail then this thread is a pure waste. Comparing one of the best to one of the worst doesn't make a lot of sense. If don't own a car in Miami you're SOL.

Old 05-16-2024, 10:22 AM

7,461 posts, read 6,622,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
If you're just comparing heavy rail then this thread is a pure waste. Comparing one of the best to one of the worst doesn't make a lot of sense. If you don't own a car in Miami you're SOL.
Really?…I live in Brickell—a highly walkable area, gave up my car 18 months ago and take Uber when needed. Figure I’m saving about $1800/month by doing so and have had no issues getting to several other neighborhoods within a consistent 10-20 minutes away when I want to.

Parts of Miami Beach and Miracle Mile Coral Gables are other areas where one could get by without a car.

When I visit friends in Palm Beach County I take Brightline. I will take the MetroMover to Heat games.

Last edited by elchevere; 05-16-2024 at 10:43 AM..

Old 05-16-2024, 03:58 PM

2,219 posts, read 3,915,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Really?…I live in Brickell—a highly walkable area, gave up my car 18 months ago and take Uber when needed. Figure I’m saving about $1800/month by doing so and have had no issues getting to several other neighborhoods within a consistent 10-20 minutes away when I want to.

Parts of Miami Beach and Miracle Mile Coral Gables are other areas where one could get by without a car.

When I visit friends in Palm Beach County I take Brightline. I will take the MetroMover to Heat games.
With this logic you can get by anywhere without a car. Miami's heavy rail system is below mid when compared to the DMV. It just isn't expansive enough for me but glad it works for you.

Old 05-16-2024, 04:07 PM

7,461 posts, read 6,622,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
With this logic you can get by anywhere without a car. Miami's heavy rail system is below mid when compared to the DMV. It just isn't expansive enough for me but glad it works for you.
Brickell and some of the other areas in Miami I mentioned are quite dense with 99% of daily needs and amenities within easy walking distance (and accompanying high walk scores to match) making a car unnecessary. Some of these areas also have access to Metromover, Metrorail, Brightline, Trirail, etc as well.

You’re the one who stated, you’re SOL without a car here and I’ve proven otherwise (nor am I the only one) but it really depends what part of Miami you are talking about and what your point A and point B destinations are. I am not saying all areas or even the majority of Miami can one get by without a car but certainly in the most dense and often the more populated/most popular areas of the city such can be the case.

Could there be more or better rail?…sure, East - West is underserved (if at all) and a connection between the Miami mainland and Miami Beach would be a welcome addition. However, some do manage to get by just fine without a car—to address your initial comment. If I lived in Kendall, Sweetwater, Miami Springs, Hialeah, Miami Gardens, etc, sure, a car is necessary.

Last edited by elchevere; 05-16-2024 at 05:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City