Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 09:59 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,468,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
A heads up stevek64, you're talking to someone from 2007 and he's not been back since then. In case you were waiting for a response.

dooh! Thanks for the heads up.

I just focused on the comment before mine, dated today. My bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 07:44 PM

106 posts, read 246,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
dooh! Thanks for the heads up.

I just focused on the comment before mine, dated today. My bad.
I didn't even see when the comment above me was dated, which was 2007. Hopefully it hasn't taken 7 years for this person to decide

Old 07-07-2014, 01:47 AM

296 posts, read 364,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
A heads up stevek64, you're talking to someone from 2007 and he's not been back since then. In case you were waiting for a response.
Thanks for pointing this out! I almost responded myself.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:41 AM

687 posts, read 4,405,210 times
As a 15 year resident of Vegas, its a dump. Phoenix has many more clean areas than Vegas and I have found the people in Phoenix to be friendlier also.
I'm sure Phoenix is somewhat transient but I would have to say it is worse here in Vegas.

Phoenix gets my vote.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,496 times
Ive been in tempe for less than two years there is so much violent crime everywhere shootings murders rapes robberies helcopters continuing above my apartments which is 909 west apartments on grove parkway.there was shooting here two days ago a triple murder drug related across the street and double stabbing homocide people are randoming shooting at random cars freeway shooters rampant drug use stay away from arizona like they say its a nice place to visit but i wouldnt wANT to live there

Old 06-14-2016, 01:32 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,862,153 times
I don't like Phoenix or Las Vegas. I think if I had to choose I would live in Phoenix though.

Phoenix has alot of really dumpy areas with lots of sketchy characters. The violent crime rate is far lower in Phoenix then Las Vegas.

I lived in Metro Phoenix almost 3 years and rarely visited the city or wanted to visit the city as the suburbs like Gilbert, Scottsdale and Tempe are the strong suit of the valley.

Phoenix does have some really nice suburbs though. Tempe has the largest university in America, Scottsdale and Gilbert are also very, very nice suburbs with far more to offer then most cities of similar size.

Phoenix also has a diverse economy. As the chart shows, the metro has jobs in pretty much occupational area that there is.

Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale, AZ Economy at a Glance

Las Vegas on the other hand is a city built of leisure and hospitality. I don't think one could find a weaker economy out of the top 50 metro areas then Las Vegas.

Las Vegas : Western Information Office : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Las Vegas has UNLV which is a weak state school, UNR in Reno seems to the research university of the state.

Arizona State University is the largest public university in the country and has multiple campuses.

Metro Phoenix has the Mayo Clinic. Many people leave Las Vegas if they need health care services.

Las Vegas also has had a surge of violent crime and has very resources to deal with it. Its well known that alot the reason that Oakland and Los Angeles have had a lower violent crime rate as of late is because the criminal element has moved into Las Vegas.

Phoenix has about the same violent crime rate as Denver or Seattle. They do have some very bad areas in Phoenix but is watered down by the fact it is a city of 1.5 million people. Metro Phoenix also has some of the safest suburbs in the country such as Gilbert, Chandler and Scottsdale.

Phoenix has basically the best and worst elements of a metropolitan area. Las Vegas on the hand offers all the bad elements of a metro area with very little of the good.

Phoenix is much more lush by desert standards then Las Vegas. They get about double the amount of rainfull at the airport and three times the amount of rainfall in some of the Phoenix suburbs then Las Vegas.

At times, Las Vegas it is so dry it feels like living on the surface of Mars. I never felt that way in Phoenix especially after those monsoon downpours.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:04 PM

431 posts, read 521,618 times
Phoenix by a mile...Vegas is a dump full of lowlife tourists.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:05 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
You're going to melt in either city so I guess it doesn't matter. I think Phoenix is more family-friendly though whereas Las Vegas is easily more young single person-friendly. Phoenix's nightlife looks non-existent compared to Las Vegas, as extinct as a dinosaur.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:51 PM

74 posts, read 93,949 times
Lake Mead is not far from Las Vegas and is the largest lake in the US. It is surrounded by the Lake Mead National Recreation Area. Is there a better way to stay cool living out there? Phoenix has some lakes but they are much smaller and further from the city. So it terms of water recreation and entertainment Las Vegas is far ahead at least until Lake Mead goes dry.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:42 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
Probably a toss up for me. As a city, I think Phoenix offers more amenities and everything, but I think that in terms of variety of nature nearby, location, etc. those things alone make it close enough to be quite interesting. Also, The Strip is touristy, but it's also a continuous, free to enter, relatively interesting strip of urbanity with a variety of attractions. Also, now that Vegas has an NHL team on the way, it makes things quite interesting overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City