Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better? In your opinion?
San Diego 83 56.46%
Chicago 64 43.54%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 02:48 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,761,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Admit it - even people living in the most cosmopolitan cities live normal, boring lives for the most part. I mean, come on...what are you doing right now? You're not at a museum, you're on city-data! When I lived in the metro, I didn't go out to nightclubs every night and festivals every day - I just hung out and did normal, boring stuff like everyone else in the country. The "fancy" stuff was a once-and-awhile treat. That's how it is for most residents.

True enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 03:34 PM

6 posts, read 17,920 times
Ummmm 619/San Diego all the way! The ocean is beautiful!

palm trees galore

unless you like tipping cows dont move to the midwest haha (j/k ...but yea ya know what i mean, its not really fun therre lol)

Old 06-17-2008, 03:43 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,922,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blonde_cali_girl View Post
unless you like tipping cows dont move to the midwest haha (j/k ...but yea ya know what i mean, its not really fun therre lol)
Oh, boy...you're going to get killed for that one...

Please, people, just don't even respond....

Old 06-17-2008, 04:07 PM

990 posts, read 3,187,512 times
Quote:

palm trees galore

What, excuse me, that seems like a rather ignorant comment. I am having fun here, and no im not tipping cows.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:19 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,292,039 times
Quote:

palm trees galore
The ocean is all salty and it feels weird once you are done swimming in it. Lake Michigan on the other hand does not leave you with that feeling.

Well, I've said this before. I hate palm trees, they don't seem to be real. I prefer trees like this:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/115/2...5b8a07.jpg?v=0

We also aren't susceptible to landslides or earthquakes. We also aren't a desert in terms of rain fall.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:31 PM

595 posts, read 2,743,499 times
Quote:

palm trees galore

Obviously, you have never been to the Midwest before. Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, even Iowa are all beautiful in their own ways. Sure, we don't have mountains but we still have three of the largest FRESHWATER lakes in the world, beaches, sand dunes, big rolling hills, beautiful rivers, etc. Plus, our small towns could possibly the most beautiful in the country. Take a look at Chicago's suburbs' picture thread. If Chicago was so boring, there wouldn't be over 9,000,000 people calling it's metro home. (which extends into three states)

Old 06-17-2008, 04:46 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
San Diego is quite a bit older than Chicago having been founded on July 16, 1769. Chicago came along 60 yrs later in 1830.

Many people don't realize how old many cities are in California [at the same time as the Revolutionary War]. Its just that the cities in California didn't really get developed until the 1900's [except San Francisco].
Right, San Diego was established earlier, but it really didn't have any people for decades.

Chicago had grown very quickly by 1880 to well over 500,000 people, while San Diego had just broken the 2,000 mark.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:50 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
Quote:

palm trees galore

haha, I guess the screen name really gives away all the class and culture on this one......

Old 06-17-2008, 05:05 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Quote:

palm trees galore

Well, like, oh...my...gosh. Palm trees are, like, way cool. They, like, um, make life so great. tehehe

Get a clue.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:06 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,664,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I did live in the region for 15 years, you know. Both Milwaukee and Chicago. And for many young adults (and honestly, even older adults), that is the culture. Pretty buildings don't change that. And the presence of "high culture" doesn't mean that utilizing it is an everyday occurance.
That's very much the culture of young adults in Manhattan, too: sitting around and drinking. At some dive or bar that sucks.

Anyways, it's worth noting that when I lived in Chicago, I did go out every night and party and raves, clubs, warehouse parties or wherever else music was being played. In Manhattan I worked from dusk till dawn and was lucky if nightlife consisted of a shower, and here in LA I'm too tired to consider anything once I get out of my car.

Quote:
I never said the midwestern culture was a bad thing, though. Just that it's not for everyone. Someone coming from another region could be rubbed the wrong way by it.

That wasn't meant to be a "diss" or whatever. Just an observation.
It is a diss in a sense, because the vast majority of people in the midwest would be surprised that people thought they lived on farms. Most live in suburbs built on farms that existed two hundred years ago. Most have children who live in college towns and never intend to return... And won't. They don't think of themselves as rural people in any more of a sense than those who live in suburbs anywhere else in the United States. Are there some rural people? Yes. And yet, take a trip anywhere a little easterly in California or outside New York City and you immediately hit Rural Woods Central. This is pretty much the same pattern everywhere, except for Los Angeles which is nothing but suburbs and long stretches of freeways.
Admit it - even people living in the most cosmopolitan cities live normal, boring lives for the most part. I mean, come on...what are you doing right now? You're not at a museum, you're on city-data! When I lived in the metro, I didn't go out to nightclubs every night and festivals every day - I just hung out and did normal, boring stuff like everyone else in the country. The "fancy" stuff was a once-and-awhile treat. That's how it is for most residents.[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City