Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 05:05 PM

641 posts, read 2,014,362 times

Advertisements

"Rochester is better than Hartford"...

Once that Genny wears off you'll realize you are wrong.;p

Old 08-17-2008, 05:15 PM

260 posts, read 978,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
Couldnt be because you were acting like a boorish American who thinks "people outta speak American". French is the dominant language there. Hate to tell ya...people in Canada dont really like us right now becuase of the Chimp. Also... very little English is spoken unless you are on the West Island of Montreal.

You wouldnt go to Rochester expecting people to speak French?
Thank you captain Jim. I didn't know that.

Canada in general, you are wrong. I go to Canada at least once a month. Ontario people are great fun and friendly and I said I can hold a small converstation in French.

Please don't call our President a chimp. I don't agree on a lot of things that he has done like most but he still is our leader. He deserves some repsect. He was hit hard in the begining of his presidency with 9-11 no other president had to deal with such a cowardly evil. Give some respect.

If an African American is the next president I would hate to see what you would call him. Thank you Jim for your patriotism.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:41 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,725,057 times
Quote:
Couldnt be because you were acting like a boorish American who thinks "people outta speak American". French is the dominant language there. Hate to tell ya...people in Canada dont really like us right now becuase of the Chimp. Also... very little English is spoken unless you are on the West Island of Montreal.

Or it could be because many quebecois are snobby. I have a great deal of family in Ontario, have been all over the Eastern provinces, and have found that many Canadians have these same issues with persons from Quebec. I've dealt with that snobby attitude while with my Canadian family members even. Many of these people have issues with non quebecois, to include their own countrymen.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:19 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,454,672 times
Quote:

LOL... ok this post is so wrong on so many levels.

1. I've been to Montreal several times. I'm fluent in French. I've often spoken in French and been responded to in English. EVERYONE in Montreal is bilingual. Quebec City is more French, and even there 50% if not more are bilingual. They'd rather speak English to me because I learned French French and it's hard for them to understand my accent (and vice versa.) Canadian French is as different from French French as American English is from British English, if not more so. Bet you didn't know that Mr. Knowitall.

2. If ALL Canadians hate ALL Americans because of one man (Bush), then they are ignorant. But they don't, and you certainly don't speak for all Canadians.

3. You have an irrational hatred for Rochester. Were you mugged there once or something?

Old 08-18-2008, 05:35 AM

That Toronto ferry was a big one way disaster for a bigger reason than money. Who in Toronto would ever want to go to another slow rotting rust belt city? The only reason they go to Buffalo is to shop, airport, and Bills/Sabres games.

Rochester has a couple of decent colleges...but there is that arrogance that is a defence mechanism for the locals. THats why they put themselves above Syracuse and Buffalo. One they compare themselves to anything on the coast...things get quiet in a hurry for a reason. Even the Hartford area blows the Rochester area out of the water...culturally, location, recreation....every which way except a Great Lake in our background (which I would love).

A classic Rochester quote from a colleague convincing themselves how much better THEIR Dinosaur BBQ eatery is than the Syracuse original. No basis other than that is in Rochester....a load of dung in my book.

Syracuse is a struggling town, but to say that its less cultured than Rochester is so funny it hurts.

Last edited by JiminCT; 08-18-2008 at 06:06 AM..

Old 08-18-2008, 05:52 AM

"If ALL Canadians hate ALL Americans because of one man (Bush), then they are ignorant. But they don't, and you certainly don't speak for all Canadians."

I'm not Canadian, but we did elect the Chimp twice. That sends quite a message to the world. Canadians think there is something seriously wrong (psychologically) with us. He's about as despised in New England as Jesse Helms was.

Last edited by JiminCT; 08-18-2008 at 06:02 AM..

Old 08-18-2008, 06:38 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,725,057 times
"Even the Hartford area blows the Rochester area out of the water...culturally, location, recreation....every which way except a Great Lake in our background (which I would love)."

Not even close. "blows Rochester out of the water?". In Which way? Which cultural activities and recreation in Hartford blow this area out of the way? I sure haven't seen them. The locals sure haven't shown them to me. Both have great things to offer in category but in no way is Hartford in a different league.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:43 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,454,672 times
Quote:
"If ALL Canadians hate ALL Americans because of one man (Bush), then they are ignorant. But they don't, and you certainly don't speak for all Canadians."

I'm not Canadian, but we did elect the Chimp twice. That sends quite a message to the world. Canadians think there is something seriously wrong (psychologically) with us. He's about as despised in New England as Jesse Helms was.
Again, so many things wrong.

1. WE did not elect Bush. I was 12 in 2000 and 16 in 2004. I couldn't even vote. So I don't feel any responsibility for it. BUT if someone automatically judges me because of who the president is, that's someone I don't want to associate with anyway. I can't stand Silvio Berlusconi and can't believe he's back in power, but when I go to Italy I don't say, "eww Berlusconi is your president, there's something wrong with you. Even if you were too young to even vote at the time."

2. Even if I HAD voted for Bush, I don't like people who judge others on their political beliefs. I have liberal friends. I have conservative friends. The "groupthink" mentality IS a serious problem in America and the world and I can't stand it.

3. The attitude you're describing is one I haven't encountered in my trips to Montreal. Like anywhere, they like tourists who are polite and respectful of local culture (even if you don't speak French, though they're always impressed that I do.) Frankly, they're more pissed off at other Canadians for not knowing French than they are at Americans not knowing it. They hate how they have to make the effort to learn English, but besides New Brunswick, none of the other provinces make an effort to learn French. They couldn't care less that Americans don't know it, probably because they understand that there is not a significant French speaking population anywhere in the US.

BUT none of this has to do with Rochester Vs. Syracuse JimInCT, does it?

Old 08-18-2008, 10:42 AM

260 posts, read 978,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post

BUT none of this has to do with Rochester Vs. Syracuse JimInCT, does it?
Very true. We already won the battle, time to take it to Hartford for another victory.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:11 PM

525 posts, read 1,829,302 times
Quote:

Say what you want about Bush, but we haven't had a terrorist attack on US soil since 9/11. His fiscal policies make him a shame to be labeled a Republican. You really think things would be better with Swifty? How about "Quick, stab that baby's brain before he pops out" Obama?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City