Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City vs Toronto vs London
New York City 101 60.48%
Toronto 28 16.77%
London 56 33.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 01:48 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiga9 View Post
"you cross the street and you're in a totally different world in NYC". Exactly! NY is too segregated. you want to live in a black area u go to harlem, u want rich whites u go to mid to lower manhattan, u want asians u go to flushing queens, u want dominicans u go to bronx. In toronto, you have a philipino, a chinese, a pakistanian, indian, a european, a black carribean, whitey, living in the same cul-de-sac! (ask anyone living in TO and they will agree with me).
Like there are no Asians outside of Flushing or Dominicans outside of the Bronx Have you ever been to New York?
Just because New York has historically ethnic neighborhoods like Brighton Beach, Astoria or Little Italy it does not mean it is segregated as most of those areas are ethnic only historically. For instance most of historical Little Italy is... Chinese.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:29 PM

2 posts, read 5,477 times
I used to live in New York and she got my vote. Can't vote for London as I have not had the pleasure of visiting. I am currently "stuck" in Toronto, please save me!!

Old 05-09-2009, 03:30 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,586 times
London
New York
Toronto

Old 05-09-2009, 04:13 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,239,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCanAm View Post
I used to live in New York and she got my vote. Can't vote for London as I have not had the pleasure of visiting. I am currently "stuck" in Toronto, please save me!!
How about trying to enjoy the city while you're there?

Old 06-26-2009, 01:50 PM

184 posts, read 571,301 times
Well i really would go for Toronto. After spending my last summer there i think it is better and nicer than New York. NY is still the same thing as always (old) nothing new. Same old skyscrapers from last century, ugly old buildings, dirty streets, the only thing good about there is the fashion, shopping centers, and theatres. I dont even know why Toronto is in this forum lol, you guys should have entered Chicago since its in many ways better than Toronto. So i go for Toronto but if Chicago was in here i would definetely go with the Great City of Chicago.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:52 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,020,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmario_88 View Post
Well i really would go for Toronto. After spending my last summer there i think it is better and nicer than New York. NY is still the same thing as always (old) nothing new. Same old skyscrapers from last century, ugly old buildings, dirty streets, the only thing good about there is the fashion, shopping centers, and theatres. I dont even know why Toronto is in this forum lol, you guys should have entered Chicago since its in many ways better than Toronto. So i go for Toronto but if Chicago was in here i would definetely go with the Great City of Chicago.
I dont about you but NY has Toronto beat in most categories. Speaking of architecture. When was the last time youve been to NY. 1990? Weve been getting a whole bunch of new buildings. Old buildings. So what if they are old London has old buildings and nobodies complaining. We also have better architecture. Nothing new? Theres something new all the time. Heres something for you visitors. nycgo / this is new york city

Old 06-26-2009, 05:53 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Jane Jacobs, of thorn-in-Robert-Moses'-side fame, scurried off to Toronto from NYC. First for her sons, but then she just really liked the place and stayed. Neat factoid, huh?

Old 06-26-2009, 06:17 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Fact still remains, for two of these places you have to be willing to leave the US. That has to be the MAJOR factor in any decision.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:59 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,753 times
People in NY and London don't give a **** what anyone else thinks about their cities, they're comfortable with themselves. Toronto, and Canada for that mattter, is obsessed with what everyone else thinks. People from New York or London would never make a long list try to convince themselves and others how great the city is. Toronto so wants to be another New York.

Toronto tries too hard. Part of being cool is not caring about what anyone else thinks. Look at the Parisians, half of the world hates them and they couldn't care less. That's cool.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:10 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
I dont about you but NY has Toronto beat in most categories. Speaking of architecture. When was the last time youve been to NY. 1990? Weve been getting a whole bunch of new buildings. Old buildings. So what if they are old London has old buildings and nobodies complaining. We also have better architecture. Nothing new? Theres something new all the time. Heres something for you visitors. nycgo / this is new york city
Yeah I agree with you. I would like to add that there is a Hard Rock cafe now in the Bronx. It is located inside of the Yankees Stadium. Also, Silver Towers, Beekman Place Tower, 200 Greenwich street, and so on are under constructions, these buildings are expected to be 600 ft or more tall. So I do not know why is he stating that new buildings are not occuring in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City