Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most overrated city in the US
New York City 340 21.82%
Los Angeles, California 336 21.57%
Atlanta, Georgia 351 22.53%
Orlando, Florida 243 15.60%
Washington, D.C. 107 6.87%
Miami, Florida 197 12.64%
Chicago, Illinois 163 10.46%
San Francisco, California 168 10.78%
Austin, Texas 298 19.13%
Las Vegas, Nevada 269 17.27%
Honolulu, Hawaii 73 4.69%
Other 135 8.66%
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 11 0.71%
New Orleans, Louisiana 9 0.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 09:20 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,756,315 times

Advertisements

It's possible to be great and still be overrated. For example, Peyton Manning is a great QB, but when people proclaim him to be the best QB in NFL history, he becomes overrated.

New York is the biggest and best city in the United States, but when I hear people implying that all your dreams will come true if you move to New York, then I call bull****.

It's New York, not Shangri-La.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:20 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,305,167 times
LA. Every idiot who lives here in the midwest dreams of going there after HS and being "so totally cool". Ugh. I mean I understand wanting to get out of the the midwest, but the whole celebrity/supermodel jealously love obsession thing is kinda sickening and dumb.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:32 PM

468 posts, read 790,630 times
NYC was not all that... It was a nice getaway but for the most part I wasnt thrilled nor was I sooooooooo hyped up to be there..

Old 07-05-2010, 10:01 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,094,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
It's possible to be great and still be overrated. For example, Peyton Manning is a great QB, but when people proclaim him to be the best QB in NFL history, he becomes overrated.

New York is the biggest and best city in the United States, but when I hear people implying that all your dreams will come true if you move to New York, then I call bull****.

It's New York, not Shangri-La.
Thats true but the person thinking that would be an idiot to begin with. New york has always portrayed herself to be a eat you up and spit you out type of city. Why would someone think a place like new york would be peaches and cream is beyond me. Even if chick flicks on lifetime depict nyc to be this glamorous place,which it could be, it still has the rough around the edges thing going on for it which its also known for. Atleast i thought

And does anybody have any legitimate reasons why nyc is overrated. The person said it wasnt all that. How wasnt it all that?

Old 07-06-2010, 12:32 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,696,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
LA. Every idiot who lives here in the midwest dreams of going there after HS and being "so totally cool". Ugh. I mean I understand wanting to get out of the the midwest, but the whole celebrity/supermodel jealously love obsession thing is kinda sickening and dumb.
You know what? I would have to agree with this because it is not healthy to have an obsession with anything especially celebrities and or supermodels since many of these people have personal issues. There is much more to life than trying to make it big as a movie star. Talk about a shallow reason to move to LA. Great post and funny one too!

Old 07-06-2010, 12:43 AM

10,113 posts, read 9,979,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Thats true but the person thinking that would be an idiot to begin with. New york has always portrayed herself to be a eat you up and spit you out type of city. Why would someone think a place like new york would be peaches and cream is beyond me. Even if chick flicks on lifetime depict nyc to be this glamorous place,which it could be, it still has the rough around the edges thing going on for it which its also known for. Atleast i thought

And does anybody have any legitimate reasons why nyc is overrated. The person said it wasnt all that. How wasnt it all that?
KONY, you know there are A LOT of NYC groupies on this site.

Personally, I think nyc is overrated for a number of reasons:

1. Density, people on this site make a big deal about density. Why these people wanna walk in a sea of people everyday is beyond me. NYC especially Manhattan is just OVER-CROWED. Everybody is paying an arm and a leg to live in a shoe box....you can have that. It is funny how people dont really bring up NY not so dense areas like there are no "strip malls" and "Sprawl" in nyc.

2. Public transportation, why the hell wowuld you want to sit on a hot @ss train, with a bunch of funky @ss people whenever you go somewhere. If im going downtown, where there is no place to park, yes im taking the train; that, I can understand. But other than that, Im taking my CAR.

3.Fashion, Im not sure how thing were, but now, there is nothing really unique about NY's fashion. Everybody looked extra regular to me, nothing and i havent seen in other cities.

4. perception, NYers think they have the biggest, best, and most of everything. They think NY is the center of the universe. They want to you believe they are the safest; 24 hour-est; prettiest woman; yankees are the being to most famous team on the planet; you have to combine 20 cities to match NYC ;best dressed; highest density (most crowded); toughest;I take train and a cab everywhere i go; we get 70inch snowstorms and schools dont close; no city comes close; but back in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's we were the hardest, most dangerous...etc etc etc......u get the point.

it's just a city

Old 07-06-2010, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
KONY, you know there are A LOT of NYC groupies on this site.

Personally, I think nyc is overrated for a number of reasons:

1. Density, people on this site make a big deal about density. Why these people wanna walk in a sea of people everyday is beyond me. NYC especially Manhattan is just OVER-CROWED. Everybody is paying an arm and a leg to live in a shoe box....you can have that. It is funny how people dont really bring up NY not so dense areas like there are no "strip malls" and "Sprawl" in nyc.

2. Public transportation, why the hell wowuld you want to sit on a hot @ss train, with a bunch of funky @ss people whenever you go somewhere. If im going downtown, where there is no place to park, yes im taking the train; that, I can understand. But other than that, Im taking my CAR.

3.Fashion, Im not sure how thing were, but now, there is nothing really unique about NY's fashion. Everybody looked extra regular to me, nothing and i havent seen in other cities.

4. perception, NYers think they have the biggest, best, and most of everything. They think NY is the center of the universe. They want to you believe they are the safest; 24 hour-est; prettiest woman; yankees are the being to most famous team on the planet; you have to combine 20 cities to match NYC ;best dressed; highest density (most crowded); toughest;I take train and a cab everywhere i go; we get 70inch snowstorms and schools dont close; no city comes close; but back in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's we were the hardest, most dangerous...etc etc etc......u get the point.

it's just a city
1. But how can you go to nyc and say its overrated because its dense but not recognize the hundreds of communities with homes with backyards and front yards. You can be in a house or on the 59th floor of a skyscraper in new york. Nyc is crowded but there are more than enough communities for those that want a slower pace.Bronx,Brooklyn,queens,SI destroy any other city's out-of-downtown area's. Nyc cant be overrated for being to dense.

2.To say that public transportation makes nyc overrated is laughable. You can just as easily ride your car through the city, its not that serious. Advanced public transit does nothing else but show how cosmopolitan a city is. It absurd to mention that as a reason the city is overrated

3.We all know a massive amount of trends started in nyc by both black and whites, from the cities poorest nabes to its wealthiest, that have reached the world . When it comes to the US nycs fashion sense is above average. And nyc has the worlds biggest fashion scene. The avg nyer is flyer than the avg person of other cities.

4. far as perception.If the shoe fits........ Most of the time its not new yorkers who start these threads

Old 07-06-2010, 03:46 AM

10,113 posts, read 9,979,189 times
Quote:
1. But how can you go to nyc and say its overrated because its dense but not recognize the hundreds of communities with homes with backyards and front yards. You can be in a house or on the 59th floor of a skyscraper in new york. Nyc is crowded but there are more than enough communities for those that want a slower pace.Bronx,Brooklyn,queens,SI destroy any other city's out-of-downtown area's. Nyc cant be overrated for being to dense.

2.To say that public transportation makes nyc overrated is laughable. You can just as easily ride your car through the city, its not that serious. Advanced public transit does nothing else but show how cosmopolitan a city is. It absurd to mention that as a reason the city is overrated

3.We all know a massive amount of trends started in nyc by both black and whites, from the cities poorest nabes to its wealthiest, that have reached the world . When it comes to the US nycs fashion sense is above average. And nyc has the worlds biggest fashion scene. The avg nyer is flyer than the avg person of other cities.

4. far as perception.If the shoe fits........ Most of the time its not new yorkers who start these threads
1. So now its should be recognized. When these "communities" are present and any other city its considered a "suburban wasteland." ......

2. exactly! ... but dont tell me that, tell your fellow NYers and NY groupies who think having your OWN PERSONAL transportion is a bad thing.. silly us right?

3. NY started alot of trends i'll give u that. To say the average NYer is flyer than the avg person somewhere else ....subjective homie. Im of the urban fashion type, and dont agree at all... but we had that discussion before

4. NYers dont have to start these threads, but u NYers DO turn them into a "NYC is better than (insert city) because (insert reason why)" thread.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
1. So now its should be recognized. When these "communities" are present and any other city its considered a "suburban wasteland." ......

2. exactly! ... but dont tell me that, tell your fellow NYers and NY groupies who think having your OWN PERSONAL transportion is a bad thing.. silly us right?

3. NY started alot of trends i'll give u that. To say the average NYer is flyer than the avg person somewhere else ....subjective homie. Im of the urban fashion type, and dont agree at all... but we had that discussion before

4. NYers dont have to start these threads, but u NYers DO turn them into a "NYC is better than (insert city) because (insert reason why)" thread.
1. No there are plenty of areas that are not super dense or suburban in nyc. Thats what i was hinting at. Nothing at all like a suburban wasteland and nothing at all like suburbs of uniquely suburban cities. Just not super dense as you were saying. And there are plenty of areas like that in the city thus nyc can't be overrated for something it already has covered

2. I dont think nyers were saying that. I think the idea is that cities built for public transit or with public transit in mind are much user-friendly. I don't know how owning your own car is a bad thing and i don't recall anyone suggesting that. But car or no car, the public transit aspect of nyc shouldnt be in the same sentence with overrated.

3.We've had. Im urban fashion aswell. And if anything nyc basically defined urban fashion.

4. Ya but alot of threads are -"Which city has the biggest downtown?" Its like were you really expecting nyers to say anything else but ny

Old 07-06-2010, 09:18 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,475,260 times
Quote:

Because even if New York City offers a lot, some people don't want/need the stuff New York City offers. I prefer smaller cities.

People say New York City is so good because it offers so much. But if you're like me and don't want/need the stuff New York City offers, then New York City is overrated. I wouldn't want to deal with the crowding in New York City either. Even if the other boroughs aren't as crowded as Manhattan, they're a lot denser than a lot of other cities. People say how Staten Island's not very dense but even Staten Island has 8,000 people per square mile. That's quite dense as far as I'm concerned. I prefer non-crowded cities.

Public transportation too...some people say it's a good thing that New York City has so much public transportation. But I've rode on subways before and found nothing pleasant about them. I have no desire to ever ride a subway again. Being crammed into a subway is not my idea of fun. I would rather drive than be a slave to public transportation. And driving is easier in smaller cities, hence why I like smaller cities.

And the scenery...I don't find cities scenic. I find natural beauty scenic. New York City is so far removed from any natural beauty. In other cities, you can be in a scenic rural area shortly after leaving the city. But you have to drive so far out of New York City through dense suburb after dense suburb before you reach anything scenic.

And even if the winters in New York City aren't too bad compared to Chicago or Minneapolis, they're colder than I would prefer. If I wanted a big city, I'd rather live in Los Angeles...2nd biggest city in America but better climate than New York City.

In conclusion, I just don't want to take part in the rat race.

New York City is expensive. The price might be worth it for some but it would be a waste of money for me for the reasons I've listed.

Last edited by city_data91; 07-06-2010 at 09:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City