Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most overrated city in the US
New York City 340 21.82%
Los Angeles, California 336 21.57%
Atlanta, Georgia 351 22.53%
Orlando, Florida 243 15.60%
Washington, D.C. 107 6.87%
Miami, Florida 197 12.64%
Chicago, Illinois 163 10.46%
San Francisco, California 168 10.78%
Austin, Texas 298 19.13%
Las Vegas, Nevada 269 17.27%
Honolulu, Hawaii 73 4.69%
Other 135 8.66%
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 11 0.71%
New Orleans, Louisiana 9 0.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 01:09 PM

686 posts, read 1,698,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny Scraper View Post
That's fine. But would you ever say any city has more global prominence in Upstate New York compared to New York City.

Your preference of a place is up to you, but would you ever say that Buffalo is more important than New York City to the world?

I like Upstate more than New York City too, very scenic and closer to Canada.

Oh, of course not. I know NYC is very important for now.

But thats the reason why I love uptste NY so much is because it's the complete opposite of NYC, it has a much slower pace of life and most of upstate is out of the whole rat race and alos is next ontarion and quebec which is pretty cool.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:40 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Upstate NY is absolutely beautiful, from the mountains to the fingers lakes. New York is not just NYC. Take that from NYC (Manhattan) born and raised New Yorker. Yes, STILL a New Yorker.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:44 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Upstate NY is absolutely beautiful, from the mountains to the fingers lakes. New York is not just NYC. Take that from NYC (Manhattan) born and raised New Yorker. Yes, STILL a New Yorker.
Niagara Falls is just about one of the prettiest places in the country, if not the world.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:45 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,762 times
^It is very beautiful. It's kinda sad that it has become such a commercialized tourist trap though.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:55 PM

174 posts, read 540,992 times
I chose Orlando because what it's most known for is outside the city in Lake Buena Vista. I do believe Sea World and Universal Studios are within the city of Orlando though.

Also,

Only a small part of the "Las Vegas strip" is actually in LV, most of the rest is in unincorporated Winchester, NV.

Atlanta is one of many cities where the Airport named after it is well outside the city. Stone Mountain, usually attributed to being in Atlanta, actually has it's own town.

Harvard and MIT, often described as being in Boston, are actually across the Charles River in Cambridge, Mass.

The Indianapolis Motor Speedway has it's own city simply called, Speedway (as part of the merger, residents are dually part of Indy as well)

The Statue of Liberty, while belonging to NYC, sits within the territorial waters of Jersey City, NJ.

The only NFL team to play in New York and New York alone is the Buffalo Bills. The Jets and the Giants play in East Rutherford, NJ.

Kings Island, usually described as being in Cincinnati, is actually in Mason, Ohio

...and the list goes on.

Last edited by Cthulhu7; 07-28-2010 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: update

Old 07-28-2010, 06:59 PM

235 posts, read 344,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu7 View Post
Atlanta is one of many cities where the Airport named after it is well outside the city.
Uh ... ATL Airport is 7 miles south of downtown and within the city limits of Atlanta. It straddles the Fulton-Clayton County line, however; perhaps this is where the confusion comes in. But the land is part of the city of Atlanta.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:49 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
Well I'm from upstate NY and I don't NYC or anywhere in downstate NY appealing, It's all about upstate for me and many other upstaters feel the same way I do.
thats strange to me. You would think upstate would be proud of nyc

Old 07-29-2010, 01:18 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,520,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
thats strange to me. You would think upstate would be proud of nyc
It's not strange to me, NYC gets all the glory and all the power. I wouldn't call it jealousy exactly, just, I don't know, didn't you just hate the over achiever kids back in school? They make everyone look bad and their perfection was disgusting lol. Not just that though, the "big brother" over shadows you, and people start to ignore all the great stuff you have to offer.

It's like SF to LA, or the rest of the UK to London, or even the rest of New England to Boston. I think It's just a normal dynamic. But when you widen the scope, like you put a state against a state, or country against country, then people widen what they're proud of too. Like a San Franciscan might say as a Californian, we have SF and LA. Or a Texan as an American might say, we have NYC (just an example lol). British people will talk about their empire or their city, we had/have London, etc.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
Anyone who says New York is overrated deserves to be shot. New York is an amazing city.

Chicago and Seattle are definitely not overrated either...they're both awesome cities that do not get as much attention as they deserve. I was in Chicago last week, definitely an amazing place. Only New York could top it. Seattle is such a perfect all around city, clean and safe.

Those 3 cities are the last 3 cities I would ever call overrated. The latter 2 are underrated, not overrated. New York on the other hand, is not underrated. it gets all the attention and guess what? It does live up to the hype. I hate how people think New York is dirty. West Village, Upper East Side and Upper West Side have got to be one the best neighborhoods in the WORLD.

What inappropriately violent thoughts you have. You should be ashamed of yourself and maybe karma will get you back to say such a thing. I agree with most of the things you said in your post but Im disgusted with your opinion about that first sentence you said.

Not everyone loves NYC, even though some do love city lifestyles, diversity, culture, and things like that. Its just that they dont like some atttitudes some of the people have there, or they just want to be in a city more laid back or something. How can you not let someone just have their opinions about a particular place?

My sister who lives in NYC and loves it has a best friend that finds NYC overrated. She respect that friend's opinion and just moves on without taking it so personally like you are.

I like a lot of things about NYC and do love it. I do think its an awesome city in the world but I feel like there are other awesome cities too. In some ways I feel like its rated appropriately, in some ways underrated, but in other ways overrated.

Why overrated in some ways? Because some people make it sound like its the only place with nice city things, only place with culture, only place with diversity. Only place with nice restaurants. The only place with certain other nice things . It gets old fast when some people say things like that or make it sound like it is that when that is not true and someone who is not from New York might be very turned off by that kind of atttitude. And people from New York(like me) who like NYC can be very turned off by attitudes like that too. Attitudes like that depress me so much. Some people really do act like they feel like that. Also NYC can be expensive, and other things too.

Actually, millions of people in the world might find NYC overrated in some ways. And you are going to have an attitude as horrible like that about other people?

Just for this poll alone, 22% of the people who voted in the poll think its overrated. So what are you going to do about it?

Last edited by ; 07-29-2010 at 01:42 PM..

Old 07-29-2010, 02:20 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
What inappropriately violent thoughts you have. You should be ashamed of yourself and maybe karma will get you back to say such a thing.

turned off by attitudes like that too. Attitudes like that depress me so much.

Just for this poll alone, 22% of the people who voted in the poll think its overrated. So what are you going to do about it?
lol that wasnt meant to be taken literally. The guy doesnt really believe that someone should be shot just because they have an unpopular opinion lol

Why are u so obsessed with new yorkers liking other city's. Im not trying to be funny but you mention it in every thread i see you in

Most of the voters are haters from the south or just plain jealous. Theres things in this world that are just not overrated. NYC is one of them. Nobody gave a good reason as to why, because it doesnt have mountains lol NYC is exactly what it says it is a urban mega city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City