Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pittsburgh or Cleveland?
Pittsburgh 234 66.10%
Cleveland 120 33.90%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 05:53 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,529,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
LOL!

Ohiopyle is an hour from Pittsburgh.

Where is the nearest place to white water raft or ski in Cleveland? A whole lot longer than an hour. Thats why I used Ohiopyle. The Pittsburgh region in general is pretty much ALL mountains, forrests, rivers and lakes. Ohiopyle and places like it offer more even.

Its hilarious that the pictures you post and claim that they are some "Cleveland thing" are actually what Pittsburgh looks like in the whole metro..lol. Have fun driving to a park to experience it though. I can visit my parents back home and walk into their back yard and it looks a whole lot like the pictures you post.

Last edited by ForYourLungsOnly; 10-30-2016 at 06:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 06:44 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,473,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Where is the nearest place to white water raft or ski in Cleveland? A whole lot longer than an hour. Thats why I used Ohiopyle. The Pittsburgh region in general is pretty much ALL mountains, forrests, rivers and lakes. Ohiopyle and places like it offer more even.

Its hilarious that the pictures you post and claim that they are some "Cleveland thing" are actually what Pittsburgh looks like in the whole metro..lol. Have fun driving to a park to experience it though. I can visit my parents back home and walk into their back yard and it looks a whole lot like the pictures you post.
There is downhill skiing and tubing in Cuyahoga Valley National Park. Alpine Valley also is 35 minutes from Cleveland. Cleveland is less than two hours from Peek 'n Peak in western NY.

However, cross county skiing is perhaps the most popular aerobic winter sport in Greater Cleveland and there are hundreds of miles of beautiful trails.

Where to Find Cross-Country Skiing

Cross-Country Skiing | Recreation | Cleveland Metroparks

Cross-country Skiing / Showshoeing | Lake Metroparks

https://www.nps.gov/cuva/planyourvis...ter-sports.htm

Geauga Park District - Find a Park

Cross country skiing opportunities in Greater Cleveland seem to dwarf those in Pittsburgh, not surprising given the presence of the lake effect snowbelt.

Greater Cleveland also has hundreds of miles of bridle trails. which also appear relatively limited in the Pittsburgh area.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
As noted in my previous thread, Greater Cleveland has downhill ski slopes and much more prevalent cross country skiing resources, including lighted groomed trails, than Pittsburgh.

No knowledgeable Cleveland white water rafting enthusiasts would waste their time heading to Ohiopyle.

Their destination is a weekend trip to the New River area, the best white water rafting in the U.S. east of the Mississippi in the U.S. It's 4 1/2 hours from Pittsburgh and, surprisingly, only 5 1/2 hours from Cleveland.

https://www.nps.gov/neri/planyourvisit/whitewater.htm

Take a rafting trip on the New River that includes Jump Rock for a true Huck Finn experience.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Keep deluding yourself. Go ahead and claim Allegheny National Forest again. Then I can claim Lake Erie. It was hilarious. And the pictures I was referring to were of some close ups of trees/trails that you could find anywhere...no lt of a Lake Erie beach. Cute try though
You've just got to love Donald Trump. Same straw man arguments and refusal to acknowledge reality.

I never claimed Allegheny National Forest. I clearly said it was three hours from Cleveland.

Yet now you want to claim Lake Erie because apparently even you admit there's nothing comparable in Greater Pittsburgh. What a joke!

Old 10-30-2016, 07:08 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,529,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
As noted in my previous thread, Greater Cleveland has downhill ski slopes and much more prevalent cross country skiing resources, including lighted groomed trails, than Pittsburgh.

No knowledgeable Cleveland white water rafting enthusiasts would waste their time heading to Ohiopyle.

Their destination is a weekend trip to the New River area, the best white water rafting in the U.S. east of the Mississippi in the U.S. It's 4 1/2 hours from Pittsburgh and, surprisingly, only 5 1/2 hours from Cleveland.

https://www.nps.gov/neri/planyourvisit/whitewater.htm

Take a rafting trip on the New River that includes Jump Rock for a true Huck Finn experience.
Boy...this keeps getting worse and worse. Show me the slopes. I bet they're so impressive being near cleveland and all..I need a good laugh. Though I'm getting quite a lot of that with this "debate"

Old 10-30-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I'm not arguing with your delusion anymore. The Cleveland homers can continue their delusions of grandeur as they usually do. Most people who have been to both cities will agree that the Pittsburgh metro by far is superior when it comes to natural beauty.
Here's the word from just one Pittsburgh native that actually has experienced Cleveland's great park resources.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...o.html#REVIEWS

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...land_Ohio.html

Anybody reading your comments will note your avoidance of any discussion of the apparently relative dearth of parks and nature preserves in Greater Pittsburgh.

Last edited by WRnative; 10-30-2016 at 07:34 PM..

Old 10-30-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Boy...this keeps getting worse and worse. Show me the slopes. I bet they're so impressive being near cleveland and all..I need a good laugh. Though I'm getting quite a lot of that with this "debate"
The small slopes in Greater Cleveland are not any different than the small slopes in Greater Pittsburgh, and anybody can check that out.

For serious skiing with lots of snow, Peek 'n Peak, and better yet, Holiday Valley, both in western NY, are the preferred destinations. Cleveland is slightly closer to both than Pittsburgh.

Again, where are the comparable cross county ski resources in Greater Pittsburgh, a great aerobic activity that is relatively very popular in Greater Cleveland and other northern climes with sufficient snowfall compared to downhill skiing?

Last edited by WRnative; 10-30-2016 at 07:44 PM..

Old 10-30-2016, 08:15 PM

37,251 posts, read 39,538,577 times
It's two cities very close to each other that faced many of the same difficulties and rapid fall in national and global importance over the last several decades. The two have very different immediate scenery, but they're so geographically close to each other that people living in either one can probably access much of the scenery in the other pretty easily. So it's really kind of a moot point if you guys are arguing about things that are a bit further out--it just boils down to if you want to live daily among hills or along the lake coast which easily boils down to personal preference.

Anyhow, here's an article from half a decade ago--an op-ed in a Pittsburgh newspaper and in a Cleveland one about how it's a lot more sensible for the two cities and the many smaller cities in between to start thinking regionally. It's probably something that makes a lot of sense to build upon instead of confusedly arguing about how close something needs to be to be considered close enough when the two cities are so close anyhow. Cleveburgh isn't a great name though. How about Clittsburgh? Everyone loves those

Old 10-30-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It's two cities very close to each other that faced many of the same difficulties and rapid fall in national and global importance over the last several decades. The two have very different immediate scenery, but they're so geographically close to each other that people living in either one can probably access much of the scenery in the other pretty easily. So it's really kind of a moot point if you guys are arguing about things that are a bit further out--it just boils down to if you want to live daily among hills or along the lake coast which easily boils down to personal preference.
Greater Cleveland is hilly as I've repeatedly shown in this thread. Read post 181 again. It's just that, with few exceptions (e.g., Gildersleeve Mountain), Cleveland doesn't have the steep slopes above the city such as Mt. Washington that provide the great cityscapes of Pittsburgh, as Cleveland largely lies above its more narrow river valley than in the great valley formed by Pittsburgh's great rivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Anyhow, here's an article from half a decade ago--an op-ed in a Pittsburgh newspaper and in a Cleveland one about how it's a lot more sensible for the two cities and the many smaller cities in between to start thinking regionally. It's probably something that makes a lot of sense to build upon instead of confusedly arguing about how close something needs to be to be considered close enough when the two cities are so close anyhow. Cleveburgh isn't a great name though. How about Clittsburgh? Everyone loves those
Cooperation makes much sense, especially regarding national policies.

I agree that Cleveland is a horrible name, especially as Moses Cleaveland never lived in Cleveland, but merely led the surveying company for the land company that controlled the city's initial acreage prior to settlement.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:51 PM

118 posts, read 113,864 times
This is one of the better comparisons I've seen in a long time. I've really enjoyed visiting these cities (Cleveland ~6 years ago and Pittsburgh ~2 years ago). So if anything has changed significantly from what I'm about to say from when I was in these cities, please let me know.

The Cleveland Orchestra is possibly the best in the U.S. right now (just saw them in Miami this year at their 10th anniversary winter residency gala) and the Cleveland Clinic is renowned. UPMC is no slouch either, but not as renowned overall.

I like the skylines of both, but when in their downtowns Pittsburgh's core feels more dense (building wise) which is more to my taste.

PNC ballpark is probably a top 5 stadium for me.

Also was more impressed with Pittsburgh's food scene, but Cleveland's scene good be different since it's been longer and I also am more of a foodie now than when I visited Cleveland (I actively sought out food scenes in Pittsburgh and didn't when in Cleveland because it wasn't an interest of mine then).

Two fairly similar cities, I'd be happy living in either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City