Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 07:25 AM

34,257 posts, read 18,628,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i think he was referring to walking up the steps to 34th street. its a bit chaotic over there..

Really just the absolute difference in culture and population in NYC. Its a ZOO. I just don't find Philly as chaotic and I vastly prefer 30th St to Penn Station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 10:23 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,227,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriKenArtist View Post
I've been visiting both NYC and PHL all my life and lived in Boston. I formed my opinions from the rapid transit systems each city offers, and the amount of museums and galleries available. Personally, I find Boston and Philadelphia to be "sister cities" and New York beyond compare. Where else in the U.S. can you wander through the night and all of a sudden see Mr. Peanut?
You see, the above picture is absolute hell on wheels for me. I LOATHE Times Square - it was fun and exciting the first couple of times I went, and now I just avoid it like the plague as much as possible. Too many people, too much noise, too much trash, and too many pickpockets. I'm a big fan of the naked cowboy though!

I do agree that NYC is beyone compare to either Boston or Philly, but it's not in a good way.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:05 PM

223 posts, read 829,861 times
NEW YORK, NEW YORK ,NEW YORK!!!!! I lived in south jersey and North/Central Jersey and have been to New York and Philly a 1000 times. New York beats philly in everyway. All philly can says its cheaper to live in, and its cleaner less crowded that New York, and the people are nicer and more friendly in philly compared to a yuk mouth agressive New Yorker. Overall New York has better food (even chessesteaks I had in New York were better than Pats,Genos,or Tony Lukes and pizza New York is the best in the World philly pizza ok but not great), women in New York are great with their sexy attitude (watch out could cut your balls off, just treat them right) philly women more hick country laid back attitude, Night life not even close New York city is the city that never sleeps. Philly nothing worth talking about, Atmosphere in New York makes you proud to be an American New York symbolized America 's greatness and power you feel it in the city and philly well Indepedence Hall and Liberty Bell are cool but thats it, no great big city feel in philly. Philly people always try to compare themselves to New York but their is no comparison. New York is the greatest city in the World!!!!

Old 08-03-2009, 05:58 AM

542 posts, read 993,504 times
Personally, both cities are great. I love 'em both. I do think it's unfair to compare Philly to NYC though. NYC is the ultimate city in north america. In the U.S. only Chicago and LA could compare and they are still out of their league in comparison to NY. Mexico City is probably the only other city in this hemisphere that might compare. I'm only going off of population here though. But I do think Philly would be better paired against Boston, D.C., Atlanta, or San Francisco. But if I had to unfairly vote it would be NY. Nothing personal Philly.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:10 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,229,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugger View Post
Philly people always try to compare themselves to New York but their is no comparison. New York is the greatest city in the World!!!!
Thats strange, Ive never met any Philadelphia area person compare themselves to NYC. Its been my experience that any time NYC and Philly are mentioned together its a person from NYC disparaging Philadelphia.Ego trip,home sickness, self superiority? I'm not sure what the problem is but NYC residents have issues.

The bottom line is that Philadelphians simply dont care about NY , its just not on their radar.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:44 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,835,051 times
New York but Philly is awesome to.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:45 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,549,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Police View Post
Which city do you like better: Philadelphia or New York? Why?
Philadelphia.....I love center city, and some downtown neighborhoods.....it is a walkable downtown. New York has more to do....bigger skyline etc....but too big to live in but great to visit.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:15 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,579,493 times
I think both cities are excellent and offer great culture and lifestyle. They are models of what an urban city should provide and look like. You can not go wrong with either city.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:51 AM

479 posts, read 1,443,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Thats strange, Ive never met any Philadelphia area person compare themselves to NYC. Its been my experience that any time NYC and Philly are mentioned together its a person from NYC disparaging Philadelphia.Ego trip,home sickness, self superiority? I'm not sure what the problem is but NYC residents have issues.

The bottom line is that Philadelphians simply dont care about NY , its just not on their radar.
Are you kidding me? I used to live in Philly for more than 15 years!! Now I live in the suburbs. Philadelphians always talk about NYC. They have an inferiority complex. always thinking how NYC is too big, too noisy, too dirty, blah blah. I have been to NYC a dozen times, I have friends that live there. And they never mention Philly at all. Some New Yorkers don't even know that Philly has a descent Downtown! But I prefer NYC. That city has everything you can dream of. So many museums, many events, beautiful people, amazing food, awesome nightlife! What else can you ask? Quietness? There are places. I sometimes feel like I am in a town when I am in the West Village, SoHo or Tribeca. Or when I visit good parts Brooklyn and Queens. Riverdale in the Bronx? Plenty of nice and quite communities and neighborhoods in NYC. Not all of NYC is like Times Square. I will deffenetly live there when I get a a better job in that city of course.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:45 PM

594 posts, read 1,202,282 times
new york city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City