Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would fit my preferences the best?
L.A. 29 21.48%
NYC 49 36.30%
Chicago 57 42.22%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 06:30 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,299,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami11 View Post
You just attacked this poster few posts up on the same by page calling him a liar even though he posted his sources and then

and now you accuse him of attacking other posters? You dont have any dignity.
Your post is against the T.O.S. You should watch for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 06:36 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,890,264 times
Although at this point I'm sure the OP has made up their mind...

For me? LA.

For them? NYC. Primarily due to the preference for public transit and the degree in the financial markets. LA certainly has a healthy financial industry, but NYC would definitely offer more options.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:43 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,732,640 times
Chicago-Joliet-Naperville, IL Economy at a Glance

10.4% unemployment and 0.6% job growth ytd

Los Angeles-Long Beach-Glendale, CA Economy at a Glance

12.4% unemployment and -0.4% job loss ytd

Old 08-09-2011, 08:12 AM

101 posts, read 114,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Chicago-Joliet-Naperville, IL Economy at a Glance

10.4% unemployment and 0.6% job growth ytd

Los Angeles-Long Beach-Glendale, CA Economy at a Glance

12.4% unemployment and -0.4% job loss ytd
You are cherry-picking one year out of the recession, to make Chicago look better.

Again, overall, Chicago has the third worst job losses in the nation since the recession began.

And unemployment rate (by itself) is a terrible way to compare job markets, unless you seriously believe that North Dakota is a better place to get a job than California, or any of the other 49 states.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas101 View Post
Again, overall, Chicago has the third worst job losses in the nation since the recession began.
You keep saying this and yet have not given evidence of this. I posted facts from the US government.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:47 AM

101 posts, read 114,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
You keep saying this and yet have not given evidence of this. I posted facts from the US government.
No, you didn't. You posted year-over-year economic change, which is useless in this context.

I posted overall job numbers since the recession began. And Chicago is third-worst in the country.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas101 View Post
No, you didn't. You posted year-over-year economic change, which is useless in this context.

I posted overall job numbers since the recession began. And Chicago is third-worst in the country.

You didn't post anything for Chicago or LA. Why do you keep saying this?

The fact is LA is doing worse than Chicago as the US gov stats have shown.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:36 AM

308 posts, read 759,033 times
Quote:
Really? Watching the Yankees or Jets is like watching the Cubs and Bears? You got to be kidding. Dont forget the US Open in Flushing Meadows where you can see the best tennis players. Chicago is only great sports city if you mean venues near by and high school football atmosphere but if you are into watching great games and best players New York with the Yankees, Jets, Mets, Giants, Rangers beats Chicago hands down.

In the world of finance the place to be is of course New York.

PS How can anyone even claim that Chicago sports is on par with New York? How? When? Who? Its like saying the Cubs are on par with the Yankees.
A basketball or hockey game in Chicago (Bulls or Blackhawks) is a much better game to see than any Rangers or Knicks game. Not even close. Have you ever been to the United Center for a Blackhawks game during the National Anthem? You Tube that and if you're ever there it's amazing. Or the fact that the Bulls, even when they were absolutely horrible in the post - Jordan years, were still selling out their stadium?

And besides, the experience you get isn't always due to the team doing well. Wrigley Field is a historic stadium and doesn't that have something to do with a game day experience?

And my cousin and Uncle had a great time at Soldier Field last year the day after Christmas. They played, and beat...oh yeah, the Jets.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:23 AM

107 posts, read 125,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UICJohn View Post
A basketball or hockey game in Chicago (Bulls or Blackhawks) is a much better game to see than any Rangers or Knicks game. Not even close. Have you ever been to the United Center for a Blackhawks game during the National Anthem? You Tube that and if you're ever there it's amazing. Or the fact that the Bulls, even when they were absolutely horrible in the post - Jordan years, were still selling out their stadium?

And besides, the experience you get isn't always due to the team doing well. Wrigley Field is a historic stadium and doesn't that have something to do with a game day experience?

And my cousin and Uncle had a great time at Soldier Field last year the day after Christmas. They played, and beat...oh yeah, the Jets.
You still dont get it. I dont mean the atmosphere during the national anthem or the fact that the stadium is sold out or an opportunity to get drunk. I am talking about watching great players perform at their best and Chicago, sorry to break this to you, doesnt have a single team that is in the top 3 in any sport. Yes, being the best means winning, thats the nature of sports: we keep scores, and Chicago teams have not much to show for in this department.

Chicago doesnt have events like US Open in Flushing Meadows. Its hard to think of Chicago as better or on par with NYC when there so many great teams and players playing there.

PS I hope your relatives had even better time when the Yankees destroyed the Sox last week. Unless of course they're Cubs fans and simply learned to enjoy being defeated all the time

Old 08-09-2011, 11:58 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,918,325 times
Quote:
You still dont get it. I dont mean the atmosphere during the national anthem or the fact that the stadium is sold out or an opportunity to get drunk. I am talking about watching great players perform at their best and Chicago, sorry to break this to you, doesnt have a single team that is in the top 3 in any sport. Yes, being the best means winning, thats the nature of sports: we keep scores, and Chicago teams have not much to show for in this department.

Chicago doesnt have events like US Open in Flushing Meadows. Its hard to think of Chicago as better or on par with NYC when there so many great teams and players playing there.

PS I hope your relatives had even better time when the Yankees destroyed the Sox last week. Unless of course they're Cubs fans and simply learned to enjoy being defeated all the time
Pre this basketball season, neither did Miami. Sports changes rapidly. The Bulls still have the highest ticket sales, more than the Lakers, Knicks, and Heat. You can check that stat by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City