Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2021, 05:00 PM

3,541 posts, read 2,332,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey the Otter View Post
In terms of major cities on the East Coast DC is pretty hilly and only 90 minutes from the mountains.
DC, Baltimore, Philly & NYC (to a degree) all literally sit on the fall line between the Piedmont Plateau and the Atlantic coastal plain. Their western sides are substantially rougher/varied geographically than their eastern sides.

DC’s tallest point above sea level is 401’. Baltimore’s is 480’ while Philly’s is slightly lower at 446’.

While not by any means SF/Seattle/Pittsburgh level… a lot of people a surprised just how hilly they can be.

Last edited by Joakim3; 08-23-2021 at 05:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2021, 06:01 PM

14,186 posts, read 9,080,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Houston, K.C. Vegas, Phoenix and all of Florida lol. Vegas and Phoenix do have some elevation outside the city limits.
Downtown KC sits atop a 280-foot-high bluff overlooking the floodplain surrounding the junction of the Missouri and Kansas rivers. Said bluff was cut away to allow the original settlement of Westport Landing to expand to the south, but it resumes east of the Paseo. Most of the city north of I-435 consists of rollling hills or valleys formed by current or former stream beds. The Missouri makes its left turn at KC because the great ice sheet that covered everything to its north in the last Ice Age stopped there, and the river flows through a broad floodplain bordered by hills and bluffs on its entire course through the city.

The flat parts of Greater Kansas City lie in the far southern and southwestern parts of the metro.

Now Chicago — that's flat.

Old 08-23-2021, 06:32 PM

325 posts, read 205,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I would say that's the textbook definition of a "low rolling hill." Read on.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.6244...7i16384!8i8192

definitely wouldn't call the N/NW side of SA "low rolling hills"

Old 08-23-2021, 06:45 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,288,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
DC, Baltimore, Philly & NYC (to a degree) all literally sit on the fall line between the Piedmont Plateau and the Atlantic coastal plain. Their western sides are substantially rougher/varied geographically than their eastern sides.

DC’s tallest point above sea level is 401’. Baltimore’s is 480’ while Philly’s is slightly lower at 446’.

While not by any means SF/Seattle/Pittsburgh level… a lot of people a surprised just how hilly they can be.

Ironically enough, the best vistas in DC proper come from the hills along the Anacostia River in the east of the city located in the coastal plain. https://ggwash.org/view/29408/see-dc...t-of-the-river

Old 08-23-2021, 07:13 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,218,125 times
Quote:
Downtown KC sits atop a 280-foot-high bluff overlooking the floodplain surrounding the junction of the Missouri and Kansas rivers. Said bluff was cut away to allow the original settlement of Westport Landing to expand to the south, but it resumes east of the Paseo. Most of the city north of I-435 consists of rollling hills or valleys formed by current or former stream beds. The Missouri makes its left turn at KC because the great ice sheet that covered everything to its north in the last Ice Age stopped there, and the river flows through a broad floodplain bordered by hills and bluffs on its entire course through the city.

The flat parts of Greater Kansas City lie in the far southern and southwestern parts of the metro.

Now Chicago — that's flat.
Yeah, I always know that people haven’t been to Kansas City when they say it’s flat. They probably just think it is because it’s on the edge of the Great Plains.

Old 08-23-2021, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadigggski View Post
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.6244...7i16384!8i8192

definitely wouldn't call the N/NW side of SA "low rolling hills"
Well, it's definitely "hill country" for sure (though I wasn't aware that SA was in that part of Texas). But the slope of the hills seems to me shallower than the (admittedly smaller) hills in Kansas City that I posted seems to be. Nowhere near as bad as "Mount Sunflower" (the highest point in Kansas), but still relatively gentle slopes from what I can tell. The hill may rise 400 feet, but over how many feet/miles?

Old 08-23-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Yeah, I always know that people haven’t been to Kansas City when they say it’s flat. They probably just think it is because it’s on the edge of the Great Plains.
What makes it even more amusing is that KC has embraced the fact that it sits at the edge of the Plains:

KCPT's online newsmagazine site is called Flatland.

Old 08-24-2021, 01:21 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,742,365 times
I've seen this thread get revived over and over again, and it's been interesting to read what some people consider hilly. The link below gives a good perspective using factual data (From ESRI) from which I can tell, is pretty spot on. The cities known to be flat are listed where they should be but I think people may be surprised by some of the cities mentioned towards the top of the list.

Check out the four different metrics used to determine the Composite Score and whether you agree with it or not. Note that this is for city limits only.

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories...731cd5966e620e

Old 08-24-2021, 01:58 AM

325 posts, read 205,106 times
Quote:
Well, it's definitely "hill country" for sure (though I wasn't aware that SA was in that part of Texas). But the slope of the hills seems to me shallower than the (admittedly smaller) hills in Kansas City that I posted seems to be. Nowhere near as bad as "Mount Sunflower" (the highest point in Kansas), but still relatively gentle slopes from what I can tell. The hill may rise 400 feet, but over how many feet/miles?
Not sure what the prominence height of the hills around here are, but the inner city is generally 500-650 feet in elevation, and then some of the hills on the northwest side are 1800-1900 feet. Once you get outside of 1604 (the outer loop here) it's just constant hills. It sort of reminds me of a smaller version of the hills around the Newport Coast or Laguna Niguel area in socal.

This gives a little bit of a better impression of what it's like in person https://www.google.com/maps/@29.6265...8i8192!5m1!1e4

Old 08-24-2021, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadigggski View Post
Not sure what the prominence height of the hills around here are, but the inner city is generally 500-650 feet in elevation, and then some of the hills on the northwest side are 1800-1900 feet. Once you get outside of 1604 (the outer loop here) it's just constant hills. It sort of reminds me of a smaller version of the hills around the Newport Coast or Laguna Niguel area in socal.

This gives a little bit of a better impression of what it's like in person https://www.google.com/maps/@29.6265...8i8192!5m1!1e4
From that perspective, San Antonio looks very hilly indeed, and the hills don't look as low as they did in that broad vista, which I'm guessing was taken from near the crest of one of those many hills.

But equally interesting is that the composite score based on Nate Rasmussen's analysis suggests my describing San Antonio's hills as "low rolling ones" isn't all that inaccurate, or at least the "rolling" part isn't — and that indeed the hills aren't as "rolling" in my hometown of Kansas City, which ranks above SA on his composite score mainly because the slope of the hills in KC is steeper — and because of that bluff on top of which downtown KC sits, which places the city in the No. 3 spot for downtown slope.

I do note that many of those much hillier (based on range and standard deviation) Western cities consist of fairly broad swaths of relatively flat land ringed or penetrated by high mountain ranges on which nothing is built. San Francisco doesn't look like that at all, however, and neither does Pittsburgh, which I would have liked to see in that analysis (so would Nate).

I'd add that the fact that San Francisco and Seattle are both unusual for US cities in that their street grids pay no respect at all to the terrain they cover contribute to the perceived hilliness of both, but especially San Francisco. Pittsburgh comes close, and I suspect Cincinnati would too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City