Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2009, 06:26 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,728,232 times

Advertisements

Boston and Philly not recognizable? Ehhhh I don't know about that. They are pretty distinct.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:41 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,259,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Boston and Philly not recognizable? Ehhhh I don't know about that. They are pretty distinct.
If Boston and Philly's skylines are distinct; than so are Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and Miami.

None of these skylines have anything iconic or something that stands out, except Dallas.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:48 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,894,181 times
Quote:
They aren't generally recognizable though. To me, the only skylines that I would say are truly recognizable among the general population are NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, the Las Vegas strip, and possibly LA.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:33 PM

I don't know. Boston and Philly have been in lots of movies and TV shows so they have been out there for the general public to see.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
I don't know. Boston and Philly have been in lots of movies and TV shows so they have been out there for the general public to see.
They still don't really have anything in their skylines that make them recognizable like NYC has the Empire State Building (and Twin Towers pre-9/11), Chicago has Sears and John Hancock towers, San Francisco has Transamerica Pyramid and Golden Gate Bridge, Seattle has the Space Needle, and the Vegas strip has...the stuff that makes up the Vegas strip.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:45 PM

Boston has the prudential tower(which I think is ugly), but you can't mistake it for anything else. Philly has the comcast tower and that kinda pointy building.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:47 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,583,261 times
Quote:
Boston has the prudential tower(which I think is ugly), but you can't mistake it for anything else. Philly has the comcast tower and that kinda pointy building.
That would be One Liberty Place:

One Liberty Place - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-08-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Come on now, be reasonable. Those buildings aren't anywhere near as iconic or storied as the Empire State Building, Sears Tower, Space Needle, etc. Just the very names of those buildings evoke the city they're located in. I mean the Comcast Tower is only 2 or so years old, not even old enough to be an icon (unless we're talking about the Burj Dubai). Seriously, if you're mentioning those buildings, I could throw in the Bank of America Corporate Center here in Charlotte, the AT&T Tower (aka "Batman Building") in Nashville, any one of a handful of towers in Atlanta, etc., and those buildings are only local icons at most.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:19 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,500,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Come on now, be reasonable. Those buildings aren't anywhere near as iconic or storied as the Empire State Building, Sears Tower, Space Needle, etc. Just the very names of those buildings evoke the city they're located in. I mean the Comcast Tower is only 2 or so years old, not even old enough to be an icon (unless we're talking about the Burj Dubai). Seriously, if you're mentioning those buildings, I could throw in the Bank of America Corporate Center here in Charlotte, the AT&T Tower (aka "Batman Building") in Nashville, any one of a handful of towers in Atlanta, etc., and those buildings are only local icons at most.
Doesn't matter how iconic they are. When I see the two blue pointy buildings I instantly know that it's Philly. Same thing for the cylinderish building with the square windows in Boston.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Doesn't matter how iconic they are.
Yes it does, since that's really what we're talking about.

Quote:
When I see the two blue pointy buildings I instantly know that it's Philly. Same thing for the cylinderish building with the square windows in Boston.
I'm talking about the general population, not those of us who frequent this subforum. We tend to be nerds about that sort of thing. Show some random person at work tomorrow a skyline picture of Philly and Boston. Unless they're into that sort of thing like we tend to be or are from there, I'll bet they would have no idea what cities those were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City