Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 05:06 PM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
There is no capital of the south. There are so many transplants in Atlanta now most southerners don't even claim it anymore.
Well, I am and I do

Old 09-22-2008, 05:10 PM

395 posts, read 523,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbanks101 View Post
It was later changed to Mobile Alabama. Just read the first page and i dont know if anyway has corrected you yet
Actually, it was changed to Danville, VA. But Richmond held the longest- at 4 years.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:16 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
It may be hard for a native to believe, but Texas is really not often thought of anywhere, not even in the rest of the South.
I wouldn't go that far--for people who haven't been it either incites a strong (positive or negative) emotion or a vast curiosity. When I lived in Boston, I got quite a few interesting comments.

I think of Atlanta as a capital of the old South and I think the capital of the "new South" is much more ambiguous.

A lot of the cities on this list think of Atlanta just about as much as Atlanta thinks of them...which IMO is very little.

This thread should really be old vs. new because there has been an immense shift of power and culture. In around the 1800s Atlanta was the Southern end all be all, but there are cities that developed in the region (or with a similar culture) that have assumed some of that power/culture.

So I guess, for historic reasons, I could choose Atlanta.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
I wouldn't go that far--for people who haven't been it either incites a strong (positive or negative) emotion or a vast curiosity. When I lived in Boston, I got quite a few interesting comments.

I think of Atlanta as a capital of the old South and I think the capital of the "new South" is much more ambiguous.

A lot of the cities on this list think of Atlanta just about as much as Atlanta thinks of them...which IMO is very little.

This thread should really be old vs. new because there has been an immense shift of power and culture. In around the 1800s Atlanta was the Southern end all be all, but there are cities that developed in the region (or with a similar culture) that have assumed some of that power/culture.

Atlanta is NEW SOUTH. Atlanta is anything BUT Old South. Its the "New South". Richmond, Charleston, Savannah- etc thats Old South.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
Atlanta is NEW SOUTH. Atlanta is anything BUT Old South. Its the "New South". Richmond, Charleston, Savannah- etc thats Old South.
I guess... I won't give you "anything BUT," because IMO it rides the line.

POST #300.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:39 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,680,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post

Atlanta is New South. It draws people from the surrounding states like a magnet being much more centrally located to the rest of the South than Dallas or Houston.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:58 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,348,303 times
Atlanta is the capital of the South. At least as much as any US city deserves this title in the southeastern United States. The South is populated by numerous mid-size cities (Macon, Birmingham, Jackson, Augusta, Columbia, Charleston, Raleigh, Asheville, Nashville, Chattanooga, Knoxville, Roanoke, Richmond, Savannah, Florence, Montgomery, etc, etc, etc). Atlanta is the most populous and biggest economic engine of all of them. Houston and Dallas would be rivals for the title, but east Texas is more Texas than it is "The South."

Old 09-22-2008, 07:46 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,962,054 times
Atlanta

Old 09-22-2008, 07:52 PM

Atlanta Wins !

Old 09-22-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Atlanta is New South. It draws people from the surrounding states like a magnet being much more centrally located to the rest of the South than Dallas or Houston.

Well, I love you houstoner, but I disagree. I think the central location point has validity, therefore the whole airport thing, but I don't really see much past that. Agree to disagree with you. I was pointing out that it's New and Old South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City