Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 07:28 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times

Advertisements

This whole "dallas and houston have no influence on the south or are too far west" argument is utterly ridiculous and completely unfair to the western south. they act as if texas, oklahoma, louisiana, arkansas, and mississippi don't count and aren't as important to the south as the more eastern states

atlanta is the historical and (in some ways) cultural capital of the southern u.s. but it is in NO WAY the end all be all capital of the south. period. there is no capital

Old 09-27-2010, 07:40 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Oh you damn Texans.Bless your hearts!
All that and Houston still is the largest city that has NO influence nationally or in the South with the exception of N.O.
Its not even after Atlanta and Miami for international visitors or domestic.
Houston is like Green Mile a big powerful city that gets NO respect.Its big but nobody notices it.
Consulates are important but it matters more to who is represented more than how many.
Atlanta; the city that is southern when its convenient.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
The south central U.S. should start being used in the case for Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana, and Oklahoma. I don't think it’s any question that Dallas would be capital of this region because it is the more centralized city of the region.
Dallas wouldn't even be the capital of Texas let alone this entire area. Texas has had 6 capitals, never once was Dallas chosen.

Heck San Antonio has more people than Dallas. Soon Forth Worth and Austin will have more people than Dallas. Dallas is nothing compared to Houston, the true power house of the south central region

Old 09-27-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
The only thing, though, is that Houston doesn't influence a wide swath of the South like Atlanta does. That doesn't make Houston a less important city, but it's just a function of geography. Houston also doesn't have history that's tied into the South as a region like Atlanta does.
I agree, and I have always said that ATL rules its area, but the area as a whole is way to broad for ATL to claim all of it

Old 09-27-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

Before everything get out of wack I believe both cities influence each other in different ways. I disagree with the way afonega1 came at HtownLove "But yet I disagree the way yall came at him" I would of had said after HTown said "I would pick Houston. It is larger, it has a bigger economy" well Atlanta dominate a much larger region of south.
hard to disagree with this line of logic. I agree that Houston has more regional competition than ATl so its sphere of influence is not as large, but it s influence isn't anything to laugh at either. It is the largest city for 250 miles in all directions.

Quote:
"Houston is the only one from all these mentioned that was actually the capital of a country." in that sense Richmond should get it, but Atlanta has the most federal jobs.
I think if Richmond didn't lose some of its clout, it would be a good contender for capital, but you have to admit, that Houston combines the economics of ATlanta with the former capital of a country classification of Richmond.

If the South was to secede again, I think either ATL or Houston would be the contenders for Capital, I don't think Miami or Dallas would be in the picture

Old 09-27-2010, 08:42 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Atlanta; the city that is southern when its convenient.
This has been explained before.Whether or not you accept it,there have been valid points to refrute your suggestion as it pertains to convenience of Atlanta Southern roots.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
This has been explained before.Whether or not you accept it,there have been valid points to refrute your suggestion as it pertains to convenience of Atlanta Southern roots.
addressed?

Old 09-27-2010, 08:51 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Oh lawd praise the great Houston for energy it's never fails the energy card. Most people don't know Houston is a meeca for energy, us geography nerds and people relating to that industry know Houston is a mecca for energy. But since were not being technical lets go beyond oil Houston doesn't even have a federal reserve bank, hey Dallas! So Houston has a rough influencing over an entire region But half of the region barely acknowledges Atlanta existence huh? Well ok but if a epidemic pop off you may want Atlanta's CDC to know.

And the funny thing is people may not know anything about Atlanta either but you know what? they hear alot more about ATL than Houston good or bad. Oh Westbank you don't have to mention anything about Atlanta! but your TV and etc will once in a while. It's funny because one minute "especially you westbank" always telling us Atlantans no one cares about Atlanta "as we care if yall did! lmao" at the same time yall the first ones to say Atlanta gets "hype" so which one is it?

Before everything get out of wack I believe both cities influence each other in different ways. I disagree with the way afonega1 came at HtownLove "But yet I disagree the way yall came at him" I would of had said after HTown said "I would pick Houston. It is larger, it has a bigger economy" well Atlanta dominate a much larger region of south. "Houston is the only one from all these mentioned that was actually the capital of a country." in that sense Richmond should get it, but Atlanta has the most federal jobs.

Agreed ) it's like debating over Charlotte being the queen city. The capital of the New South or Capital of the South is already a nickname for Atlanta. Take each city above then google that with capital of the south behind, but it's just a nickname it not that serious.
Honestly I got to admit I was just trying to stir the pot up.:It works every time! Yet I did disagree with Htown's statement.But personally as I have always said Dallas would get that spot easily if not Atlanta.New Orleans would be second and Houston would be third.Take a Ft.Worth socialite and a Buckhead Betty,A larger black population(southern roots mainly) and Dallas and New Orleans just makes more logical since to me.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:29 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
why does atlanta earn the capitol title when its not even close to as diverse as Houston or having near the population Houston has or even more businesses?

and as far i have heard Houston is growing way faster then atl and its been a larger city then atl for a while now.

the same for dallas when comparing to atl.

in my opinion i believe houstan is the cap, then dallas, then atlanta.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:36 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,632,923 times
I just can't think of a city in Texas as being the symbolic capital of "the South" - sorry; Texas just isn't "southern" enough. That's pretty much all there is to it from my perspective.

Also, I believe we are talking about metro areas here, and not just what is contained within the rather arbitrary judicial limits of these various cities.

Dallas-Ft. Worth doesn't strike me as a "southern" metro area to any great extent. It has some southern elements, but it also has very prominent Mexican and cowboy influences. That alone would seem to disqualify it for the most part.

Houston also has a strong Mexican influence, though it does feel somewhat more "southern" than Dallas-Ft. Worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City