Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 10:40 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,678,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
These guys are passive aggressive (worse than MN)....I have one PMing me right now telling me how great the weather in Seattle is. It's a joke guys -- nobody cares how people perceive you but yourselves. The fact that you get defensive about it makes you look very insecure......about a LOT of things!
That's hilarious. I get weird PM's all the time too. Especially the Philadelphia people, don't make them mad.

I just was working with a client yesterday who was from Portland (Beaverton) and I asked him what it was like and all that and he said, "Portland is great if you like everyday to be like today" and it was a gray/depressing day.

So, whatever. People are insecure about where they live. I'm sorry but if I meet someone from Portland and is talking to me in front of my face, and they say "Portland is gray, and bland", I'm not going to just take it as a grain of salt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 11:24 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,310 times
I liked both the Twin Cities and Portland. Extremely cool vibe in both areas.

If you have money with you, Oregon's lack of a sales tax will mitigate some of the cost of living difference between the two areas. At least until you start earning Oregon money.

Thought Portland had a better transit system. Portland has tons of second hand stores that supply the local poulation with ironic t-shirts and whatnot.

Portland is so vegetarian friendly that it boasts the world's first vegan strip club.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:20 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Minneapolis has more amenities than Portland and arguably as many as Seattle. Seattle seems to have a better/livelier street scene and connection to neighborhoods but how hard is that when you can predict the weather every day of the week/month/year (mostly cloudy with a chance of showers, high 58).
The weather in Seattle(as in Portland and rest of the Northwest) isn't that predictable, I guess you'd have to have never lived in the region to say something as naive as that. It can be in the 40s/50s and partly cloudy in February or March or it could be in the mid 60s and mild and sunny, or it could be a rare snowstorm as well. Northwestern weather isn't uniformly grey and rainy 365 days of the year, and there's geographic variations with mountains and the proximity to the coast where some areas are rainier than others. Seattle and much of Puget Sound and the east side of the Olympic Peninsula are actually in a rain shadow from the Olympic Range--so that it can actually be sunnier in some areas while it's raining and grey not far away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
I just was working with a client yesterday who was from Portland (Beaverton) and I asked him what it was like and all that and he said, "Portland is great if you like everyday to be like today" and it was a gray/depressing day.

So, whatever. People are insecure about where they live. I'm sorry but if I meet someone from Portland and is talking to me in front of my face, and they say "Portland is gray, and bland", I'm not going to just take it as a grain of salt
So you talked to one guy from a crap suburb of Portland and that's the final word on Portland... It does get grey here seasonally, but it's not as if people stop their lives when it's cloudy out. People learn to be quite content living an hour or two away from coastal beaches, wine country, the Columbia Gorge, Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens, the high desert country, and so on...

And anyways someone from Minnesota thinks that Portland might be grey and bland... Hey good one, I guess it's all in perspective. I mean I personally love the Twin Cities, but the dominant national steroetype of Minnesota is basically the film "Fargo"...Is that accurate?

Real Northwesterners get used to the grey and rain of winter/spring, because we know that when it's raining in the valleys, it's snowing on the peaks an hour away, making for great skiing, and that we always have a nice hot, dry and sunny period from July into late October to look forward to. Just as people get used to the cold, icy winters of Minnesota and enjoy living there, people get used to the Northwest weather...It seems to be people who don't live here who complain the most about our weather. The weather is similar in some ways to Western Europe(Northern France and the Low Countries and Germany), but better in the regards that we usually have nice dry summers...but I don't hear people bitching about the weather in Amsterdam.

Last edited by Deezus; 04-16-2011 at 01:54 PM..

Old 04-16-2011, 01:36 PM

287 posts, read 738,977 times
These people who says Portland and Seattle weather is worse than Minneapolis isn't human. Must be some robots that doesn't feel the bittering cold and winds. I cannot believe how some of you would say Portland/Seattle has terrible weather because it is gray and drizzly. Wrong... Wrongness alert! We have better winter and better summer than Minneapolis, end of story. Drive 2 hours out of the Minneapolis, you are still in same climate, same geography, same boring flat. We can end up at coast, in mountains, yes a real one, or high desert, or even Mediterranean. Sucks you guys don't have these. Our winter is SO EASY to handle. SO EASY.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:49 PM

305 posts, read 655,281 times
I've lived in Minneapolis and Seattle. I would not move to Minneapolis if walkability is an important factor. There is good commuter transit, but that's it. None of the neighborhoods would allow you to do your errands walking/bus. And if they did it would be too cold from November to March, maybe April. The windchill gets so bad it feels like the skin on your face might peel off. Sure, you can slather it in vaseline and wear a down coat + fleece layers, but it's not fun on a daily basis and when it's not optional because you must go out.

Everything else is preference. COL is higher in Seattle. Taxes are higher in Minneapolis.

Seattle's summer is reliably warm, not hot, from July to late August with a long stretch without rain. Minneapolis heats up in late June and stays hot and humid until the end of August, then it slowly tapers off. Minneapolis has more sunny days, even in the midst of winter. Cold and sunny.

Seattle is more cosmopolitan, you'll have more restaurants, cultural offerings etc.

I don't know Portland that well but I've heard it has the best public transportation from these 3 cities.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:01 PM

18 posts, read 36,901 times
I like winter (for awhile). I'd rather have a real one than that crap the PNW gets.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
So you talked to one guy in crap suburb of Portland and that's the final word on Portland... I does get grey here seasonally, but it's not as if people stop their lives when it's cloudy out. People learn to be quite content living within two hours of coastal beaches, wine country, the Columbia Gorge, Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens, the high desert country, and so on...

And anyways someone from Minnesota thinks that Portland might be grey and bland... Hey good one, I guess it's all in perspective. I mean I personally love the Twin Cities, but the dominant national steroetype of Minnesota is basically the film "Fargo"...Is that accurate?

Chill out dude. Like I said people are insecure. You're like every whiney Detroit resident- "Hey! Detroit isn't all slums! We're really nice! We have nice neighborhoods!" Well yeah, obviously, but that still doesn't mean that the general perception of people outside of Detroit is that it's a decaying, dirty, crime-ridden city.

Same thing goes for Portland and Seattle. Great, it gets nice there sometimes, but that still doesn't mean that the general perception of the area is a gray cloudy rainy place.

I'm fine with others' perception of the Twin Cities. I understand that most people think of the area as a cold, flat, boring, midwestern Siberia with old ladies in knit sweaters at church gatherings with bake sales. That's fine if the whole world thinks that, I'm not insecure and I actually live here and know.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Or3g0n View Post
These people who says Portland and Seattle weather is worse than Minneapolis isn't human. Must be some robots that doesn't feel the bittering cold and winds. I cannot believe how some of you would say Portland/Seattle has terrible weather because it is gray and drizzly. Wrong... Wrongness alert! We have better winter and better summer than Minneapolis, end of story. Drive 2 hours out of the Minneapolis, you are still in same climate, same geography, same boring flat. We can end up at coast, in mountains, yes a real one, or high desert, or even Mediterranean. Sucks you guys don't have these. Our winter is SO EASY to handle. SO EASY.

2 hours outside of MPLS will bring you here.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs191.snc4/37882_687361590261_56000713_39046639_2736828_n.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-16-2011, 02:24 PM

287 posts, read 738,977 times
Quote:
2 hours outside of MPLS will bring you here.

neat, but what else? :\

Old 04-16-2011, 03:25 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Chill out dude. Like I said people are insecure. You're like every whiney Detroit resident- "Hey! Detroit isn't all slums! We're really nice! We have nice neighborhoods!" Well yeah, obviously, but that still doesn't mean that the general perception of people outside of Detroit is that it's a decaying, dirty, crime-ridden city.

Same thing goes for Portland and Seattle. Great, it gets nice there sometimes, but that still doesn't mean that the general perception of the area is a gray cloudy rainy place.

I'm fine with others' perception of the Twin Cities. I understand that most people think of the area as a cold, flat, boring, midwestern Siberia with old ladies in knit sweaters at church gatherings with bake sales. That's fine if the whole world thinks that, I'm not insecure and I actually live here and know.
Ha ha ha... Well maybe you're the one who's a little insecure and needs to chill out, especially since you felt it necessary to send another lengthy angry message to me via the rep point system in addition to the one above. Sorry, if you feel that we're not allowed to provide our own countering viewpoint based on personal experience on what is essentially a debate forum. Okay, so I guess I'm not supposed to give my opinion about Portland and Seattle...

I could really give a s--t if you think Portland is grey and depressing and bland or if you even knew the city existed---I was just sharing my own opinion on a place I live in. All I was saying was that despite less-than-ideal year-round weather conditions, most people enjoy living in the Northwest(and probably do so in Minnesota as well) despite what others in the rest of the nation might or might not imagine. It's not a paradise here all the time, but it's not as if everyone suffers from mass depression because it's cloudy outside. You can portray that as being insecure or defensive if you like, whatever I could care less...

Last edited by Deezus; 04-16-2011 at 03:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City