Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mid-Sized Southwest City is better?
Albuquerque 313 51.14%
Tucson 299 48.86%
Voters: 612. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 10:35 PM

8,630 posts, read 10,157,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Albuquerque's Train Station/Bus Station/Depot Dates back to the 1900's It first opened as the Alvarado Hotel. It was torn down in the 80's becuase it was abandoned for years.. with little community support the area sat vacant for about 35 years until Current Mayor Chavez brang it back.. not the way it looked really, but a small replica to resemble the old historic landmark.

1900-1980

2003-Present

Mesa Del Sol Community, On Track.

Our Hotel, Will be the Cities largest.. till Packard builds in 2011.
Your depot reminds me of ours. So, according to this link Albuquerque Event Center - Project Plan (http://208.106.217.165/Project-Plan.aspx - broken link), it is still just a proposal. Is the hotel supposed to be 550 rooms or like I stated earlier, 450 (according to Garfield Traub's Development page)? Would the hotel be losing some height then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 10:42 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,990,175 times
The hotel is a go, as well as the Arena in 2010. It has not lost any height or rooms. It stands at 550. That website has not been updated, there are new renderings I had in my laptop that look way different but the pic of the hotel I gave you is real.

I still want the Monorail in Albuquerque!

Old 08-25-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Mesa Del Sol Community, On Track.
This is a big chunk of infill that is pretty promising:

UA Bioscience Park gets $4.7M | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/306223.php - broken link)

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/photos/2007/05/23/l52418-1.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-25-2009, 11:18 PM

We Are the Largest urban/Suburban Development in the United States over 40,000 homes.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:25 AM

Homes in Mesa Del Sol should start selling this January.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:53 AM

37 posts, read 99,827 times
I'm a tucsonan who lived in abq for 4 years. 2 of my kids were born there. This was over 6 yrs ago, but I'll throw my opinion in the bunch anyway.

The NM children's hospital is nice, but other than that... the hospitals I delivered in and were seen in, are TMC on it's worst day, every day.
I hated that!
The first night we got there I was witness to a car jacking. Sadly it wasn't the first one I Saw. Still haven't seen one in Tucson, thank God!
I had a friend who was almost kidnapped in a Taco bell drive thru.
I saw quite a few jumpings and other crimes, especially around the military base.
Also when it comes to military, there is no military support in this town. When the wars started there were TONS and TONS of people out there for hours every single day to scream as you went in and out of base, spit on your car and even try to pop tires.

I would walk 6th ave anytime of day or night before I'd walk alone around the base during the day in Albuquerque.
The military called that whole entire area the "War Zone" and at one time they actually had a part of the MP that worked on cracking down the drug issues in that area.
I really hope they've fixed these issues, but sadly I know that sometimes there's nothing you can do.

The only thing I miss about NM is the weather. They have actual seasons and get real snow. That part was great! I also miss the way you can get on the freeway from almost any street. Tucson is really lacking in that department.
The balloon festival is also great! I'll come back if I remember anything else. It's been a while.

If you have to live in albuquerque, it's going to feel more like home than any other place if you're from tucson.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmda View Post
I'm a tucsonan who lived in abq for 4 years. 2 of my kids were born there. This was over 6 yrs ago, but I'll throw my opinion in the bunch anyway.

The NM children's hospital is nice, but other than that... the hospitals I delivered in and were seen in, are TMC on it's worst day, every day.
I hated that!
The first night we got there I was witness to a car jacking. Sadly it wasn't the first one I Saw. Still haven't seen one in Tucson, thank God!
I had a friend who was almost kidnapped in a Taco bell drive thru.
I saw quite a few jumpings and other crimes, especially around the military base.
Also when it comes to military, there is no military support in this town. When the wars started there were TONS and TONS of people out there for hours every single day to scream as you went in and out of base, spit on your car and even try to pop tires.

I would walk 6th ave anytime of day or night before I'd walk alone around the base during the day in Albuquerque.
The military called that whole entire area the "War Zone" and at one time they actually had a part of the MP that worked on cracking down the drug issues in that area.
I really hope they've fixed these issues, but sadly I know that sometimes there's nothing you can do.

The only thing I miss about NM is the weather. They have actual seasons and get real snow. That part was great! I also miss the way you can get on the freeway from almost any street. Tucson is really lacking in that department.
The balloon festival is also great! I'll come back if I remember anything else. It's been a while.

If you have to live in albuquerque, it's going to feel more like home than any other place if you're from tucson.

Well you havent been here in awhile, We have one of Americas best Cancer centers now. A UNM hospital we have two buildings.. that were just opened.

Those are some pretty crazy things you saw. I have lived in Albuquerque for 25 years and have never witnessed any of that. I used to live in what they now call the ghetto and so much for calling it that, it never was. I have left my doors unlocked since I have had my house there. If they need to steal they can walk threw the door, not break my windows. Of course I live in one of the Safest gated communities in the Southwest, but I still leave it unlocked.

I walk Albuquerque all the time, Day and night. Never have been told anything or mugged.. or whatever. I walked the ghetto for years to get around... still nothing. I have rode the bus for years too.. and they are always safe to ride, and the ridership is the best of any city its size. I think its really what you make of it. Last year we had a very low crime rate from years past.

Our freeway system is one of the most complex systems in the US, since the two interstates conect in the middle and all major streets conect. This is why Albuquerque's freeways arent so backed up..

I love Tucson I lived there for awhile the only thing I saw that was crazy was some guy running from the cops in the mall. To me it was safe and I felt it. Albuquerque and Tucson are too much alike.. crazy as it sounds both cities only had 9 murders last year.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:02 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,031,622 times
Quote:
Well you havent been here in awhile, We have one of Americas best Cancer centers now. A UNM hospital we have two buildings.. that were just opened.

Those are some pretty crazy things you saw. I have lived in Albuquerque for 25 years and have never witnessed any of that. I used to live in what they now call the ghetto and so much for calling it that, it never was. I have left my doors unlocked since I have had my house there. If they need to steal they can walk threw the door, not break my windows. Of course I live in one of the Safest gated communities in the Southwest, but I still leave it unlocked.

I walk Albuquerque all the time, Day and night. Never have been told anything or mugged.. or whatever. I walked the ghetto for years to get around... still nothing. I have rode the bus for years too.. and they are always safe to ride, and the ridership is the best of any city its size. I think its really what you make of it. Last year we had a very low crime rate from years past.

Our freeway system is one of the most complex systems in the US, since the two interstates conect in the middle and all major streets conect. This is why Albuquerque's freeways arent so backed up..

I love Tucson I lived there for awhile the only thing I saw that was crazy was some guy running from the cops in the mall. To me it was safe and I felt it. Albuquerque and Tucson are too much alike.. crazy as it sounds both cities only had 9 murders last year.

Tucson recorded its highest amount of murders last year,I think the number was in the 70's and ABQ's were down but still had like 50.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Tucson recorded its highest amount of murders last year,I think the number was in the 70's and ABQ's were down but still had like 50.
Yea.. Albuquerque is a pretty safe city.

All you hear is people saying they witnessed a crime, but I think they lie most of the time.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Tucson doesn't have a lot of random murders per se. I hate to use the word random, but most murders fall into these categories: drug trade, gang rivalries, robberies. The majority of the suspects identified or arrested were Hispanic, as were the majority of the victims. Most of those killed were men, most were shot, and most (victims) were involved in serious crimes themselves. Four were ruled justifiable homicides
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City