Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Beverly Hills of the South
Coral Gables, Florida 51 10.52%
Buckhead (Atlanta, Georgia) 148 30.52%
Highland Village (Dallas, Texas) 58 11.96%
SouthPark (Charlotte, North Carolina) 12 2.47%
South Beach (Miami, Florida) 77 15.88%
Uptown Houston (Houston, Texas) 43 8.87%
Palm Beach, Florida 134 27.63%
Georgetown (Washington, D.C.) 33 6.80%
Doctor Phillips (Orlando, Florida) 11 2.27%
Galleria area (Dallas, Texas) 20 4.12%
French Quarters (New Orleans, Louisiana) 14 2.89%
Other 32 6.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 485. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 04:49 PM

4,845 posts, read 6,118,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Another issue is Beverly Hills is a city; while those areas you just named are neighborhoods/edge cities.
True I said this also, but anyways posters seem to being missing what I saying Buckhead is 1/4 to 1/3 of the area with in Atlanta. Buckhead has a central business district it's not a central business district. While the central business district part is more like Bellevue, Tysons Corner, Uptown Houston or what ever, most of Buckhead is affluent neighborhoods with single family homes, mansions and etc. Then Buckhead has Neighborhoods and landmarks listed with the national register of historic places “Buckhead is too new........ fail“. All the following neighborhoods are in the Buckhead area of Atlanta. Buckhead is large, the CBD is only a small part, posters keep taking the CBD of Buckhead and turn it into all of Buckhead.
  1. Ardmore
  2. Argonne Forest
  3. Arden / Habersham
  4. Brookhaven
  5. Buckhead Forest
  6. Brandon
  7. Brookwood
  8. Brookwood Hills
  9. Castlewood
  10. Channing Valley (also includes Memorial Park neighborhood)
  11. Chastain Park
  12. Collier Hills (also includes Brookwood Hills)
  13. Colonial Homes
  14. East Chastain Park
  15. Garden Hills
  16. Haynes Manor
  17. Kingswood
  18. Lindbergh Center
  19. Margaret Mitchell
  20. Mount Paran / Northside
  21. Mount Paran Parkway
  22. North Buckhead
  23. Paces
  24. Peachtree Heights East
  25. Peachtree Heights West
  26. Peachtree Hills
  27. Peachtree Park
  28. Pine Hills
  29. Pleasant Hill
  30. Randall Mill
  31. Ridgedale Park
  32. Springlake
  33. South Tuxedo Park
  34. Tuxedo Park
  35. Underwood Hills
  36. West Paces Ferry/Northside
  37. Westminister / Milmar
  38. West Peachtree Battle
  39. Whitewater Creek
  40. Wildwood
  41. Woodfield
  42. Wyngate

Old 03-12-2011, 05:31 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,963,936 times
HERE'S SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT:
Buckhead = BH
Beverly Hills = BH

ODD HUH?!

But seriously and just to be clear folks, as a native of Metro Atlanta who grew up hearing the Beverly Hills comparison, when I finally went to Beverly Hills I was vastly underwhelmed. Compared to Buckhead, large sections of Beverly Hills are VERY middle class. L.A. natives know that the REAL money is in Bel Air, Hancock Park and Pacific Palisades. The estates in Buckhead Atlanta put the homes in Beverly Hills to shame. You can't go on just average sales price or income alone because the 90210 area code is so inflated. But Buckhead is just as exclusive, if not moreso.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:00 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,372,068 times
Why is the French Quarter up here lol.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:28 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,356,482 times
lol @ Atlanta homers getting all hot and bothered over Buckhead

Old 03-12-2011, 06:50 PM

450 posts, read 1,408,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
But seriously and just to be clear folks, as a native of Metro Atlanta who grew up hearing the Beverly Hills comparison, when I finally went to Beverly Hills I was vastly underwhelmed. Compared to Buckhead, large sections of Beverly Hills are VERY middle class. L.A. natives know that the REAL money is in Bel Air, Hancock Park and Pacific Palisades. The estates in Buckhead Atlanta put the homes in Beverly Hills to shame. You can't go on just average sales price or income alone because the 90210 area code is so inflated. But Buckhead is just as exclusive, if not moreso.

When you look at the exclusive market though, Beverly Hills is much more expensive to buy a top end mansion in and has many more "ultra expensive" homes.

Number of homes in Beverly Hills (population 34,000) listed $5,000,000-$10,000,000: 37
Number of homes in Beverly Hills over $10,000,000: 31
Number of homes in Beverly Hills listed over $20,000,000:7
Most expensive listing: $68,500,000 (9577 Sunset Blvd)

Number of homes in ALL OF ATLANTA (population 540,000 including Buckhead) listed $5,000,000 to $10,000,000: 15
Number of homes listed above $10,000,000: 6
Most expensive listing: $19,900,000 (490 W Paces Ferry Rd)

Its the ultra-expensive real estate that makes Beverly Hills famous (and neighborhoods of the city of L.A. like Bel Air and Holmby Hills, etc...) that Atlanta doesn't even come close to being as expensive as. Beverly Hills is a fraction of the population all of Atlanta yet has many more ultra expensive homes.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:10 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,263,870 times
[quote=chiatldal;18251920]True I said this also, but anyways posters seem to being missing what I saying Buckhead is 1/4 to 1/3 of the area with in Atlanta. Buckhead has a central business district it's not a central business district. While the central business district part is more like Bellevue, Tysons Corner, Uptown Houston or what ever, most of Buckhead is affluent neighborhoods with single family homes, mansions and etc. Then Buckhead has Neighborhoods and landmarks listed with the national register of historic places “Buckhead is too new........ fail“. All the following neighborhoods are in the Buckhead area of Atlanta. Buckhead is large, the CBD is only a small part, posters keep taking the CBD of Buckhead and turn it into all of Buckhead. ]

We know Buckhead isn't just the cbd! Still when you look at it all it's nothing like Beverly Hills. It has the mansions and beautiful homes, just not like Beverly Hills. Still, Palm Beach is the closest in my eyes.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:16 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,985,925 times
I'd put Coral Gables up there with Palm Beach and Buckhead easily. Coral Gables(much like Beverly Hills is in LA) is in Miami. On that note, how the heck does South Beach have more votes than Coral Gables? South Beach if compared to anything in Los Angeles, is more like Santa Monica than Beverly Hills.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:50 PM

4,845 posts, read 6,118,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
lol @ Atlanta homers getting all hot and bothered over Buckhead
Personally I didn’t vote and feel palm beach is closer, ) but anyways not over buckhead, but posters who don’t know what they’re talking about. And no one is hot and bothered, every time there's a long post that's a response posters assume he or she is upset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
We know Buckhead isn't just the cbd! Still when you look at it all it's nothing like Beverly Hills. It has the mansions and beautiful homes, just not like Beverly Hills. Still, Palm Beach is the closest in my eyes.
“No matter what I read on here Buckhead still reminds me more of Bellevue, Tysons Corner or Uptown Houston” besides Bellevue all the places you listed are CBDs, thus the only part of Buckhead that would be similar is the CBD area, when most of Buckhead is affluent neighborhoods. Which actually would be closer to Beverly Hills character than the places you listed.

I understand jluke point "Beverly Hills is a city" and I will add environmental factors, That would make Palm Beach closer to Beverly Hills, then Buckhead. But what I been reading from posters on this site is Buckhead is more of a CBD or edge city, and what these posters are doing with the other 80% is beyond me. Hell if anything Buckhead has more mansions than Palm Beach, and Beverly Hills put together "because of size" so it funny that Buckhead some how is overall closer to an edge city to you, just saying.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:49 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,356,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Personally I didn’t vote and feel palm beach is closer, ) but anyways not over buckhead, but posters who don’t know what they’re talking about. And no one is hot and bothered, every time there's a long post that's a response posters assume he or she is upset.

“No matter what I read on here Buckhead still reminds me more of Bellevue, Tysons Corner or Uptown Houston” besides Bellevue all the places you listed are CBDs, thus the only part of Buckhead that would be similar is the CBD area, when most of Buckhead is affluent neighborhoods. Which actually would be closer to Beverly Hills character than the places you listed.

I understand jluke point "Beverly Hills is a city" and I will add environmental factors, That would make Palm Beach closer to Beverly Hills, then Buckhead. But what I been reading from posters on this site is Buckhead is more of a CBD or edge city, and what these posters are doing with the other 80% is beyond me. Hell if anything Buckhead has more mansions than Palm Beach, and Beverly Hills put together "because of size" so it funny that Buckhead some how is overall closer to an edge city to you, just saying.
I'm not knocking on Buckhead itself, I just think it's kind of funny that so many Atlanta posters seemed to get defensive when anywhere besides Buckhead was mentioned as a possibility. I mean, Buckhead isn't a city...it's a part of town (and a very nice one, at that)...but I see no real comparison to "Beverly Hills." Buckhead has its own thing, and that's OK. In terms of size, and the fact that Buckhead is part of Atlanta proper, it's hard to compare the two at all. Why can't Atlantans be satisfied with Buckhead just being one of the nicest major city proper districts in the country? Why do people get upset when others say it doesn't compare to Beverly Hills?

Old 03-13-2011, 01:24 AM

635 posts, read 1,512,381 times
hey i understand i'm from Atlanta and the major reason i think we all compare ourselves to these areas is because no one goes i want to someday go to Atlanta, its always someday i wanna go to n.y., Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles. theres always a negative connotation associated with it nothing to draw people thereby affecting tourism...economy...progress... morale. We need to have something to be proud of ugh whatever y'all probably are like who cares anyways
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City