Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 07:48 AM

345 posts, read 467,916 times

Advertisements

R&A Import Auto

"..honest, good mechanics who will always be straight with you! They are well-known in the community for good service."

+1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 10:13 AM

314 posts, read 925,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lane View Post
Flagstaff's elevation at 7000' doesn't help, given that neurotransmitters involved with enthusiasm, extroversion, and friendliness decrease at high elevations (norepinephrine, dopamine, GABA). My own mood and energy has gone down at 7000' compared to sea level in Seattle.

I think the personalities and fear of newcomers might simply be a neurophysiological reaction to high altitude and nothing more. The rates of depression and drug use are high here (as in other high elevation cities), and there has to be a biological reason why. There would be a thriving middle class if the Richard Florida model was adopted and more small businesses relocated here, like in Albuquerque/Rio Rancho, NM. [u]

If things work out, I would stay here - all of northern AZ from Phoenix to Sedona to Page is the most beautiful area I've ever lived in.
Bill, do you think Sedona is "friendlier" and more pro-business growth?
That's facinating Tom. Do you have the links to that information I could read? Please PM them to me if so.
I definitely think Sedona's a friendlier place.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:25 AM

857 posts, read 1,736,057 times
Default Neurotransmitters And Higher Elevations

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR1 View Post
That's facinating Tom. Do you have the links to that information I could read? Please PM them to me if so.
I definitely think Sedona's a friendlier place.
As for Sedona being a friendlier place glad to hear that. I hope it is more pro-business, too. Just heard another horror story today of someone who had to deal with the Flagstaff City Council when starting their business.

Bill, it's a theory that I have based on my own background in the biological sciences. Humans and plants at higher elevations have decreased levels of enzymes like glutathionine peroxidase. This enzyme is responsible for preventing excessive oxidation of Adrenaline, Norepinephrine (NE), and Dopamine (DA). Theoretically, norepinephrine and dopamine would be decreased at high elevations. Caffeinne, nicotine, marijuana, and meth all raise NE and DA. In addition, when there is too much of the oxidation product of Adrenaline (called adrenochrome), then there is another reaction that results in diminished levels of GABA, resulting in too much glutamate, causing anxiety and shyness. It's just a theory but many health problems are worse here.

People moving here should look into this if they have heart problems, respiratory problems, inflammatory conditions, neurological problems, sleep disorders, anxiety, depression, etc. There are vitamins that can correct the deficient enzymes at high elevations. I can't find the abstracts right now on Medline but do intend to look up the entire articles at NAU. I don't think it's fair to knock the residents of high elevation towns for their drug use since people are obviously self-medicating due to low energy and anxiety. It is up to us biologists to figure out the reasons and come up with other treatments. Exercise raises NE and DA. Is that why Boulder, Flagstaff, and Albuquerque are great bicycling towns - people self medicating w/ exercise???

Old 04-29-2009, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,195 times
Default Flagstaff as I see it.

My wife and I moved to Flagstaff last fall. Since then we have met some wonderful people. We moved from Florida so the changes were dramatic on many levels. The population here is as varied as anywhere else I have lived in this country and they are many. Pennsylvania, Florida, California, Nevada, Arizona; all with similarities and differences. There are friendly people here, and some not so friendly, just like anywhere else. Cost of housing? Yes high, very high, but that is called supply and demand. Why is the supply low, because we are surrounded by National Forest. (Isn't that why so many like it?) There is only so much room to grow. Many think growth is good. It helps the local economy. I say to that "walk a mile in my shoes." Florida built an economy on growth. What do they have now? Empty houses, not enough water and resources to sustain the environment, few jobs, and a beautiful ecology that was distroyed by greedy developers. Polution run ramped, overpopulated areas with traffic jams that highway engineers struggle to catch up with. This is why we came to Flagstaff. Every time we came west on vacation somehow we came through this area and something kept drawing us back. No it is not warm year round, finding an affordable home is a challange, some people can be clique-ish, but overall you can find those negatives anywhere. The effort to preserve the enviroment attracted us, especially since we saw it distroyed in Florida. As a newcomer I say lets keep the watch on growth be kind to others, help those who need help, and we will all get along fine. As far as those who tend to be clique-ish I say we all know there are many like you in other parts of the country, and tend to bring their bad habits with them. Remember Jesus refused no one.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:05 AM

329 posts, read 1,277,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lane View Post
As for Sedona being a friendlier place glad to hear that. I hope it is more pro-business, too. Just heard another horror story today of someone who had to deal with the Flagstaff City Council when starting their business.

Bill, it's a theory that I have based on my own background in the biological sciences. Humans and plants at higher elevations have decreased levels of enzymes like glutathionine peroxidase. This enzyme is responsible for preventing excessive oxidation of Adrenaline, Norepinephrine (NE), and Dopamine (DA). Theoretically, norepinephrine and dopamine would be decreased at high elevations. Caffeinne, nicotine, marijuana, and meth all raise NE and DA. In addition, when there is too much of the oxidation product of Adrenaline (called adrenochrome), then there is another reaction that results in diminished levels of GABA, resulting in too much glutamate, causing anxiety and shyness. It's just a theory but many health problems are worse here.

People moving here should look into this if they have heart problems, respiratory problems, inflammatory conditions, neurological problems, sleep disorders, anxiety, depression, etc. There are vitamins that can correct the deficient enzymes at high elevations. I can't find the abstracts right now on Medline but do intend to look up the entire articles at NAU. I don't think it's fair to knock the residents of high elevation towns for their drug use since people are obviously self-medicating due to low energy and anxiety. It is up to us biologists to figure out the reasons and come up with other treatments. Exercise raises NE and DA. Is that why Boulder, Flagstaff, and Albuquerque are great bicycling towns - people self medicating w/ exercise???
Tom, very interesting theory. Have you published anyting on it? I would love to read it. Are you a PhD in Biology?

Old 05-01-2009, 02:49 AM

857 posts, read 1,736,057 times
Default Diminished Monoamine Neurotransitters At High Elevations

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolgirl51 View Post
Tom, very interesting theory. Have you published anyting on it? I would love to read it. Are you a PhD in Biology?
No I'm not a PhD. I've just studied neuroscience. Basically, all neurotransmitters in the brain are created from amino acids, and then are converted by enzymes to inactive substances.

Since there's more oxidative stress at high elevations, then the monoamine NT's (Dopamine-DA and Norepinephrine-NE) would theoretically decrease. Key word - theoretically.

It is known that DA and NE are involved in energy, intitiative, and motivation.

Marijuna, meth increase DA and NE. Perhaps that's the reason for the northern arizona and northern NM drug issues, I don't know.

There's a connection between Epilepsy and high elevations, too. Epilepsy involves changes in several NT's.

Here's an article on the basic science that I have, there are others searchable on-line --
JSSM- 2004, Vol.3, Issue 2, 64 - 69

Old 05-03-2009, 04:35 PM

8 posts, read 31,669 times
I grew up in AZ went to NAU for college. Many people are leaving Flag because theres to many rules now. Most are moving to small communities like Montrose CO. Not muc for dating in flag as i am now leaving my 40's . lol Santa fe has better food. i also lived in NM .

Old 05-06-2009, 08:16 AM

314 posts, read 925,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-scorpio59 View Post
I grew up in AZ went to NAU for college. Many people are leaving Flag because theres to many rules now. Most are moving to small communities like Montrose CO. Not muc for dating in flag as i am now leaving my 40's . lol Santa fe has better food. i also lived in NM .
If I could have the same job/pay and live in Montrose, I'd be out of here FAST!

Old 05-18-2009, 02:16 PM

8 posts, read 31,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR1 View Post
If I could have the same job/pay and live in Montrose, I'd be out of here FAST!
Me too Bill I would be somewhere other than where i am at. Although i am now working on the Rez which brings up a whole set of questions. LOL

Old 06-07-2009, 09:20 PM

7 posts, read 16,760 times
YouTube - flagnet1's Channel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City