Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 01:14 PM

344 posts, read 457,273 times

Advertisements

[quote=delta07;6377592]Funny Steve, I also live in Bend and have relatives in Boise!

Back to OP, if the only consideration is recreational activities, I would choose Bend is a heatbeat! I've never spent much time in Boise, but it isn't nearly as nice of a town as Bend. It's pretty ugly, IMHO. Plus, it's a little further to get to all the outdoor activities. Bend is an outdoor lovers mecca, especially if a job isn't of importance to you and you are working from home.

Well, it is your opinion but Boise's downtown is pretty dang nice. You should spend some quality time there - I think you'd like it - especially the after hours scene, it's pretty vibrant.

I prefer Boise because it has all that Bend has and more, being a little larger. On the other hand, I like that Portland and the coast are not too far away from Bend.

I am a little confused by the comment about Bend having three seasons. How is the climate different than Boise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 03:33 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,887,688 times
You should also consider Reno which has similar weather to Bend and Boise. It is 30-40 minutes from Lake Tahoe and it has all the outdoor activities you ever need. The tax is much lower than Oregon and Idaho.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:43 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,645,031 times
Boise is much, much bigger. The metro area is close to 700,000 people, and it functions as its own "hub," with a fair-sized airport and so on. The Bend area is closer to 150,000 or so, and people still end up in Portland (or Eugene) for various "big city" purposes. So if you're looking to live in a city, the Boise would make more sense.

Boise does have good outdoors options. Bend's location is interesting, though. It's close to the frontier of a mountain range that divides a very wet, temperate landscape from the high desert, and the collision between those two geographic zones makes for some interesting natural features.

Old 11-06-2016, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,314 times
Leaving Bend after 30 years...too expensive, too crowded, too pretentious. Beautiful views though!

Old 11-06-2016, 10:05 PM

854 posts, read 1,707,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset 52 View Post
Leaving Bend after 30 years...too expensive, too crowded, too pretentious. Beautiful views though!
Where are you going? My son lives in Redmond, and loves it.

Old 01-05-2017, 05:46 PM

346 posts, read 465,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting For Air View Post
I lived in Boise for many years (grew up in the valley there). I now live in Salem, OR and spend a lot of time in Bend as I am also an outdoor enthusiast.

When I lived in Boise, I could drive 20 minutes from my house and be rock climbing at the Black Cliffs, could drive 15 minutes and be mountain biking or hiking in the foothills, 45 minutes and be snow skiing, 30 minutes and be water skiing, 5 minutes and be running or inline skating on the Boise River Greenbelt. One hour drive south and I was in the desert canyons hiking, backpacking, mountain biking (no trails), fly fishing. A little over an hour away and I could be climbing at City of Rocks, less than an hour and be kayaking on the Payette River.

Idaho has much more public land in close proximity to Boise than you will find in Bend ... and much more diversification of terrain. As well ... much easier to find camping without parking fees, campsite fees, etc.

Don't get me wrong ... Bend is cool and I like it a lot ... but it doesn't hold a candle to the opportunities in Boise.

I'd be back there in a second if my career would allow.
Wow, I know this is an ancient post, but you do realize, don't you, that world class climbing (Smith Rock), mountain biking (right out your very back door, see COTA), skiing (Mount Bachelor) and mountaineering (Three Sisters), are all much closer than what one would need to travel to in Boise? And you claim Boise is surrounded by "much more private land". Bend is an island awash in NF and BLM land.... look at any public land map!

Granted, you may have Bend beat in regards water skiing. We'll give you that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City