Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2008, 04:17 PM

13 posts, read 82,577 times

Advertisements

I've seen other photos of Duluth and it looks like a really neat with a skyline that one would expect from a city of its size. Mid-sized cities are more interesting to me - like Springfield, MO, Duluth, MN, Macon, GA, Bradenton, Sarasota and Ft. Myers, FL (it's unbelievable to see the tall skyscrapers that are being built in Ft. Myers!). Then there are sad skylines like Columbus, GA (with a metro area that mirrors Duluth) and Melbourne, FL (I believe with a similarly sized metro area). I know there many different variables involved in whether or not a city ends up with an exciting or dull skyline, but to me that is one of the things that makes the subject so fascinating. In ten years it will be quite interesting to see what the skylines of cities like Lubbock, TX, Melbourne, FL and Columbus, GA look like.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:54 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,918,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam 5 View Post
you welcome columbus georgia has a population with 186,291 people in the area but is growing fast the columbus area is suppose to be getter 20 thousand to 30 thousand new people moving to our area in 2008 to 2010 so that would bring us up to 200,000 people in the area i will share a couple more pictures of columbus georgia and that will be it for now
Actually, it has recently been reported that Columbus has lost population recently.

Seen if you read down in this article: 11Alive.com | Atlanta, GA | New Orleans Fastest Growing; Atlanta 14th

Old 07-17-2008, 09:01 PM

Ok, my town...

Though I now live in Atlanta (which far exceeds the "200,000 or smaller" population limit on this thread), I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia.

Charleston, WV has a city population of around 53,000 people. It's the Capital of West Virginia which explains why it's skyline is a little larger than some cities of the same population, because it also houses HQs of banks, a college, State Government buildings, and the Capital building for the state. It sits on the Kanawha (Can-Naw-Wa) River which flows into the Ohio River about 45 miles West, in the also name Kanawha Valley, surrounded by the Appalachian Mountains.

West Virginia's economy has been among the worst in the U.S. since the 1950s, and the rate of poverty is high - sometimes per capita the highest in the nation. Coal mining is still the major industry, and since the city is 3-4 hours from any city that's larger, it's a bit out of reach for a "day trip", so tourism isn't really a hot thing going on. Still, there are things to see and do there, and it surprises people who visit. With the possibility of the new "clean coal" energy production plants that are being developed, the economy may actually after decades get a jump-start as well if the prototypes for those plants work as claimed and coal starts being used much more (again) for energy production (only cleaner this time).

Here is a pano skyline shot. Photo credit for this shot goes to city-data member "wvsky" who also has the full sized and much more detailed pano posted in a pic thread in the West Virginia room (excellent shot):

Another view as seen from across the river on top of one of the mountains that surround it:

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 07-17-2008 at 09:16 PM..

Old 07-17-2008, 09:52 PM

Default Nice pics of Charleston WV

I've been to Charelston several times and I find it to be very unique. I really liked the vibe there. It has a decent skyline as well with plenty of vantage points on higher elevations to take good photos of the city. The fact that Charleston is the capital is one reason for the city having a larger skyline than other cities with the same population, if one is to only consider the population within the city limits. But a much better indicator is Charleston's entire metro area population, which I know far exceeds 53, 000 people. Kanawha County (the county which Charleston is in) alone is not below 190,000 people.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:06 PM

Default Columbus, GA

The population of Columbus, as far as WITHIN the city limits is concerned, is losing population. However, the Columbus metro area is gaining in population. This trend has been pretty consistent across the country, but is recently starting to turn around. Because of the fuel crisis more and more people are beginning to and will continue to look for places closer to their work places, especially downtown. From what data I could find Columbus has a metro area of about 275,000. If memory serves me right the Columbus metro area is soon to gain between 10-20,000 people over a certain number of years due to BRAC. I apologize if I'm not exactly correct on some of my figures.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltologist View Post
I've been to Charelston several times and I find it to be very unique. I really liked the vibe there. It has a decent skyline as well with plenty of vantage points on higher elevations to take good photos of the city. The fact that Charleston is the capital is one reason for the city having a larger skyline than other cities with the same population, if one is to only consider the population within the city limits. But a much better indicator is Charleston's entire metro area population, which I know far exceeds 53, 000 people. Kanawha County (the county which Charleston is in) alone is not below 190,000 people.

Charleston is in an odd spot. Only about 43 miles West of it is Huntington, WV which while it looks smaller, has about the same population. Here in Atlanta, 43 miles is nothing and would still be considered part of the same metro area - up there, they have always strived to be completely separate cities with differerent feels or as you say, "vibes". If you took the populations of Charleston, Huntington, and their respective metros together, you're probably talking about 300,000 people or so, with some of each overlapping into the other.

Charleston is more business-oriented. Banks, the convention center, hotels, Capital and State offices complex, etc. It only not long ago opened a new arts center, but still isn't really known an an "artsy" city. Huntington has more of a reputation for restaurants, Marshall University, nightclubs, touristy stuff, etc. Between the TWO cities, you have a lot to do and choose from.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:45 AM

721 posts, read 2,613,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltologist View Post
I've seen other photos of Duluth and it looks like a really neat with a skyline that one would expect from a city of its size. Mid-sized cities are more interesting to me - like Springfield, MO, Duluth, MN, Macon, GA, Bradenton, Sarasota and Ft. Myers, FL (it's unbelievable to see the tall skyscrapers that are being built in Ft. Myers!). Then there are sad skylines like Columbus, GA (with a metro area that mirrors Duluth) and Melbourne, FL (I believe with a similarly sized metro area). I know there many different variables involved in whether or not a city ends up with an exciting or dull skyline, but to me that is one of the things that makes the subject so fascinating. In ten years it will be quite interesting to see what the skylines of cities like Lubbock, TX, Melbourne, FL and Columbus, GA look like.
Duluth has a unique setting in that it is 26 miles long and only about 2-5 miles wide as it clings to a 600-800 foot bluff alongside Lake Superior. It's downtown is built on solid bedrock which makes building anything really expensive. Most new construction takes place "over the hill" by the mall area which has led to sprawl and the city of Hermantown experiences most of the growth.

I also like Savannah and Chareslton as good examples of cities with strict planning codes which make there cities unique among the cookie cutter and big box style cities.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:42 AM

594 posts, read 3,438,987 times
Default i think downtown houston texas has a huge downtown

http://www.highgallery.com/Pictures/HoustonPatrol.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 11-17-2012 at 09:38 PM..

Old 09-04-2008, 12:55 AM

Default downtown houston texas at night

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/33/99...cc7cb5.jpg?v=0

Last edited by JMT; 11-17-2012 at 09:35 PM..

Old 09-04-2008, 01:02 AM

Default downtown tampa florida

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/26/88...e4df355116.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 11-17-2012 at 09:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City