Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Top 10 most populated states.. which one would you least prefer to live in.
California 17 10.76%
Texas 21 13.29%
New York 8 5.06%
Florida 26 16.46%
Illinois 8 5.06%
Pennsylvania 5 3.16%
Ohio 12 7.59%
Michigan 38 24.05%
Georgia 13 8.23%
North Carolina (Replaced "New Jersey" after 7 votes were cast for this choice) 10 6.33%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 08:10 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,607,508 times

Advertisements

Every time that someone posts something negative about Michigan, I'm going to respond with a beautiful picture

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 08:31 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,418,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Every time that someone posts something negative about Michigan, I'm going to respond with a beautiful picture
Awesome! Michigan rocks, I don't see why so many people hate it.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:57 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,418,437 times
Default In defense of Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Michigan. No thanks. Cold, grey weather, terrible economy, EXTREME white flight, EXTREME residential racial segregation, crime ridden, decaying, aesthetically unattractive.
Have you ever been to Michigan? Very little of what you said is true. Yeah, it's cold from November - March. It's called winter, it's supposed to be cold and snowy. I'm sorry that you don't get four seasons in the desert, so you probably don't understand the beauty that is a Michigan winter. There's so much you can do with snow & ice - skiing, snowboarding, sledding, hockey, ice fishing, snowshoeing, making snowmen, snowangles, etc. There's even a winter carnival in Houghton, where they make buildings and sculptures out of snow!

However, there's more to Michigan climate than cold and snow. We have beautiful springs, gorgeous summers, and stunning falls. While you're roasting in 120 degree heat, we're relaxing by the lake in shorts on a sunny day, with temps. around 80 degrees and a cool lake breeze.

Yeah, the economy sucks. It's down everywhere. It will improve.

Extreme racial segregation? Are you kidding me?!?! Michigan has a long, great history as a non-racist free state. We were the end of the Underground Railroad, and many people came here from racist areas like the South to start a new life. This diverse tradition continues today. In my small town of 8,000, there is unbelievable diversity. We have whites, blacks, hispanics, east asians, indians (from india), and pacific islanders. Also, there is no "ghetto" or segregated area here in Three Rivers. Whites live next door to blacks, who live next to asians, who have hispanic neighbors, and so on. The only "segregated" peole here are the Amish. The only "white flight" that has happened is in Detroit and Flint, and blacks are also fleeing those cities.

As for your "crime ridden" and decaying comment: you do know that not all of Michigan is like Detroit and Flint, right. Those are two cities in a vast, diverse state! There are places in MI that are over 700 miles from Detroit, and are nothing like it culturally. We have many safe, diverse, and progressive urban areas here that are nothing like Detroit: Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, Lansing, Port Huron, Ann Arbor, Jackson, Traverse City, Midland-Bay City, and Mt. Pleasant. All of these cities are safe, diverse, and growing.

As far as MI not being "aesthetically pleasing," that is simply not true at all. Michigan is probably one of the most beautiful states in the entire country. We have mountains, beaches, lakes, forests, rivers, cliffs, ski resorts, rolling hills, and farms. Did you know that Michigan has more shoreline than any other state in the continental U.S.? Only Alaska has more. We have more beaches than Florida, Hawaii, California, Texas, and Noth Carolina. We have beach resort towns like South Haven (similar to Nantucket), Holland, Grand Haven, Traverse City, and Cheboygan. Michigan is truly the nations "third coast." We also have beautiful northern forests, especially in the U.P. The U.P.'s northwoods are truly striking. We also have the hills in northern Michigan, and the Porcupine Mountains in the U.P. The northern part of MI sees northern lights. Michigan is VERY esthetically pleasing, come here and ckeck it out!

Old 01-16-2009, 11:53 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,954,464 times
Hmm Let me see. The WHOLE piedmont is boring. Up NORTH is too cold. So I guess i'd only live in the I-10 states TX, CA, FLA. Everywhere else is just too bland, except the northwest. I would live in Seattle. But all the piedmont states are SUPER overrated. Charlotte is alright (Im living here right now) and so is ATL but the rest of the state in those two states are quite boring and unintresting. And I really HATE this cold piedmont weather. And the NORTH is SUPER overrated with the exception of NYC, BOS, and PHI. I hope I didnt offend anybody. Any likes dislikes about my post?

Old 01-17-2009, 05:20 AM

9,173 posts, read 13,256,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Have you ever been to Michigan? Very little of what you said is true. Yeah, it's cold from November - March. It's called winter, it's supposed to be cold and snowy. I'm sorry that you don't get four seasons in the desert, so you probably don't understand the beauty that is a Michigan winter. There's so much you can do with snow & ice - skiing, snowboarding, sledding, hockey, ice fishing, snowshoeing, making snowmen, snowangles, etc. There's even a winter carnival in Houghton, where they make buildings and sculptures out of snow!

However, there's more to Michigan climate than cold and snow. We have beautiful springs, gorgeous summers, and stunning falls. While you're roasting in 120 degree heat, we're relaxing by the lake in shorts on a sunny day, with temps. around 80 degrees and a cool lake breeze.

Yeah, the economy sucks. It's down everywhere. It will improve.

Extreme racial segregation? Are you kidding me?!?! Michigan has a long, great history as a non-racist free state. We were the end of the Underground Railroad, and many people came here from racist areas like the South to start a new life. This diverse tradition continues today. In my small town of 8,000, there is unbelievable diversity. We have whites, blacks, hispanics, east asians, indians (from india), and pacific islanders. Also, there is no "ghetto" or segregated area here in Three Rivers. Whites live next door to blacks, who live next to asians, who have hispanic neighbors, and so on. The only "segregated" peole here are the Amish. The only "white flight" that has happened is in Detroit and Flint, and blacks are also fleeing those cities.

As for your "crime ridden" and decaying comment: you do know that not all of Michigan is like Detroit and Flint, right. Those are two cities in a vast, diverse state! There are places in MI that are over 700 miles from Detroit, and are nothing like it culturally. We have many safe, diverse, and progressive urban areas here that are nothing like Detroit: Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, Lansing, Port Huron, Ann Arbor, Jackson, Traverse City, Midland-Bay City, and Mt. Pleasant. All of these cities are safe, diverse, and growing.

As far as MI not being "aesthetically pleasing," that is simply not true at all. Michigan is probably one of the most beautiful states in the entire country. We have mountains, beaches, lakes, forests, rivers, cliffs, ski resorts, rolling hills, and farms. Did you know that Michigan has more shoreline than any other state in the continental U.S.? Only Alaska has more. We have more beaches than Florida, Hawaii, California, Texas, and Noth Carolina. We have beach resort towns like South Haven (similar to Nantucket), Holland, Grand Haven, Traverse City, and Cheboygan. Michigan is truly the nations "third coast." We also have beautiful northern forests, especially in the U.P. The U.P.'s northwoods are truly striking. We also have the hills in northern Michigan, and the Porcupine Mountains in the U.P. The northern part of MI sees northern lights. Michigan is VERY esthetically pleasing, come here and ckeck it out!
Rate up
I think the image of Detroit and some of the smaller cities overwhealms the rest of the state. People forget much of the state is forested for instance.

The state is on the same latitude as Wisconsin, New York and New England so if you like the scenery in those areas you will probably like Michigan.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:54 AM

403 posts, read 1,190,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian/SWE View Post
I've never understood what the point of living in New Jersey is?
What's the point in you not putting a gun to your head and ending it all

Old 01-17-2009, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
And she's from Long Island, of all places. A wise drag queen once said, "Long Island, New Jersey, same s*** different direction." And as a NJ resident, I found that one offensive!
Exactly. They are the last group of people who should rag on anyone.

Pay Rachel84 no mind. She gets off on being a Long Island girl who wishes she was from the city. She disses NJ all the time and when you call her on it all she says is I wouldn't mind living there

Old 01-17-2009, 06:07 AM

A lot of these people saying NJ are not even giving real reasons why they don't prefer it........just playing follow the leader with everyone else.

My pick would be Illinois. I'm sure it's a nice place but outside of Chicago I don't know what else the state offers.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:48 AM

718 posts, read 2,325,694 times
I agree with you. It boggles my mind why people in awful flyover states knock New Jersey and its residents. With the exception of New York, New Jersey is probably the most interesting state to live in as there is more entertainment within a 2 hour drive than most places in America. The American economy has a high dependency on what is inside the state of New Jersey. Only NY can knock NJ as NJ is the little brother. The Manhattan transplant who grew up in Ohidaho comes here to NY and makes fun of NJ? Or someone sitting on their couch in tornado alley who has never been east follows suit in the NJ jokes? How on earth is growing up in Boise, Tulsa, or Dayton more interesting than NJ?

What also boggles my mind is those who bash Long Island and Westchester County. I have met people who live in the soulless cookie cutter midwestern suburbs who claim that Westchester County is upstate New York. I also meet people that knock Long Island like its part of the Bermuda triangle in relation to the city, even though theyve never been to LI. How are you going to differentiate a Mount Vernon NY resident from someone who lives at 233rd and White Plains Rd in the Bronx, or someone who lives in Bellerose Queens vs Bellerose LI, when you yourself live in a cornfield or a McMansion development 1500 miles away?

Please enlighten me, Id love to hear your ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
A lot of these people saying NJ are not even giving real reasons why they don't prefer it........just playing follow the leader with everyone else.

Last edited by DITC; 01-17-2009 at 12:05 PM..

Old 01-23-2009, 08:02 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,944,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
Exactly. They are the last group of people who should rag on anyone.

Pay Rachel84 no mind. She gets off on being a Long Island girl who wishes she was from the city. She disses NJ all the time and when you call her on it all she says is I wouldn't mind living there

I am from the city...lol. Nice try. I'm saying NJ is my least favorite area in the northeast (not out of the whole country). I said BUT I would rather live there than a lot of other places in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City