Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the next "big" city?
Omaha 25 6.78%
Jacksonville 23 6.23%
Charlotte 163 44.17%
Albuquerque 35 9.49%
Riverside 10 2.71%
Oklahoma City 37 10.03%
other, be specific 76 20.60%
Voters: 369. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:04 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,583,167 times

Advertisements

As the saying goes everythings bigger in Texas, with the next economic sprout (in these days who knows when, but it'll come eventually) it would further stimulate the growth of the major cities in TX. Assuming your saying what is the next big city and that DFW and Houston are already big cities, then it would be Austin. Not only is it the capital of TX but has a good college scene of some 50,000 students and a population of 750,000 with it's high standard of living it should top 1,000,000 easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 09:32 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
As the saying goes everythings bigger in Texas, with the next economic sprout (in these days who knows when, but it'll come eventually) it would further stimulate the growth of the major cities in TX. Assuming your saying what is the next big city and that DFW and Houston are already big cities, then it would be Austin. Not only is it the capital of TX but has a good college scene of some 50,000 students and a population of 750,000 with it's high standard of living it should top 1,000,000 easily.
How about San Antonio? Way bigger than Austin and booming also.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,773,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Do you think Charlotte, Jacksonville, Oklahoma City, Albuquerque, Riverside, Omaha, or another city will be the next metropolis of the U.S.?
None of the above.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:14 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Default What is the next big city?

I picked Charlotte. Its mentioned frequently on these boards and North Carolina as a whole is pretty hot right now.

One interesting thing about the northeastern states - I do see the smaller metro areas growing larger - like the Lehigh Valley, Northeast Pennsylvania, Hartford & Albany-Saratoga County. But the cities themselves are not growing much larger in physical land area.

For instance I do not see Scranton ever being able to annex most of NE Pennsylvania. The whole metro area might grow in population but Scranton and Wilkes-Barre are probably going to stay close to the same size in land area.

Many people in the northeast (outside of the existing big cities) simply do not trust big city governments anymore.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:15 PM

559 posts, read 1,757,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Haha. Well is it at least a cool place?
i havent been that way in years, but from what i understand is that its pretty decent. cool might be stretching it.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:40 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,111,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpHawkeye View Post
I don't know what kind of crazy sprawl some of you guys have in mind.

Austin and San Antonio are 80 miles apart.

Atlanta and Charlotte are 244 miles apart.

78 miles from downtown to downtown but suburbs are 35-40 miles apart. Then you have New Braunfels and San Marcos in between, over 200,000 people. Close to 3.8 million in six connecting counties along I-35.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 01-13-2009 at 11:52 PM..

Old 01-14-2009, 06:54 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Springs Rep. View Post
Yeah, it was definitely a close call between Charlotte and Riverside/Inland Empire, but I chose Charlotte.

Austin and San Antonio are much farther apart than San Francisco and Oakland, or even Dallas and Forth Word. Might make more sense to say follow the path of Washington and Baltimore.
Yes, it does...I can see San Antonio and Austin continuing to grow towards each other, and in the process attracting some mega-developer to create a planned community there a la Columbia, MD that gives residents access to the amenities to both cities.
San Antonio and Austin enjoy an amazingly high level of awareness in other parts of the country; IMO as high as the larger TX cities of Dallas and Houston.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:11 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Actually. It's not way bigger at all. They are roughly the same size. Now historically, San Antonio is the bigger city. But Austin has made up ground within the past 20 years.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:22 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,583,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Well they aren't too far apart, I mean how about the next D-FW as the next SA-A? Though I know they won't be interconnected like D-FW but it may become the same region such as LA-Riverside MSA (thats about a 90 mile distance) But that would be a long term project. The thing is assuming Texas becomes the anchor or capital for North America Free Trade say 20 years down the road after our economy revives itself, all the cities would grow but one thing wouldn't change is the capital of Texas, Austin, TX. Thus becoming the capital of the capitals of North America. And I know it's a touchy subject and for another forum, but just saying that it's prob one of the best places currently to invest and probably THE best place to invest for the long haul. I forgot to mention Columbus, OH often called "The Typical American city" It's demographics balance at 66% White 33% minority is also becoming rarer these days. I find it as a good ratio, though other may contend. It is also another city presence of about 750,000 (similar to Austin) closing in on the 1,000,000 mark and has a huge college town presence at 50,000 kids, ironically didn't they just play each other in some bowl game???

Old 01-14-2009, 07:48 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,111,562 times
San Antonio has 1.4 million within city limits, out of the 400 square miles, 96 square miles of just recently annexed. This new mostly undeveloped annexed area is in the far south parts of the county, City South in the works, huge project.
Austin is in the 700 k range within almost 300 square miles. San Antonio is quite larger and much more heavily urbanized.
S.A. had 1.2 million in 2000 in about 300 square miles.
Metro San Antonio and city proper is about 500 k bigger than Austin. Currently San Antonio has about 2.1 million and Austin in the 1.6 million range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City