Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Top 10 Greenest Cities in America?
New York City 4 7.02%
Chicago 3 5.26%
Seattle 10 17.54%
Portland (OR) 20 35.09%
San Fransisco 6 10.53%
Boston 3 5.26%
Minneapolis 5 8.77%
Austin 3 5.26%
Miami 2 3.51%
Honolulu 1 1.75%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 11:58 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,211,998 times

Advertisements

Green as in Transportation, Energy Usage, Green Buildings things like that. From pictures I would say Seattle but I have not been to every city. What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 07:18 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
I think NYC would qualify, it has the highest use of public transportation (and the largest Hybrid Bus fleet in North America), 6 different train systems (2 subway systems, 3 commuter rail systems, & Amtrak), hybrid taxis, etc. A lot of the new buildings going up are LEED (or something like that) certified and are very eco-friendly. NYC also has one of the highest percentages of parkland in US. NYC has been very successful in it's One-Million trees movement (about 1/3rd of the way there last time I checked), they even planted a lot of trees in my neighborhood which already has a ton of trees. Overall it's a very walkable city so a lot of people walk and bike here, as a matter of fact I think more bike lanes are being created. There's also "NYC 2030" or something like that, there's a lot of plans in that alone. This is about as much as I know, maybe someone else can expand this list lol.

I know there's a lot of other green cities in the country.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:35 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
Washington, DC is a very green city--from the expansive public transportation options, to the LEED building requirements, to the (controversial) plastic bag fee that was just implemented.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:43 AM

270 posts, read 855,180 times
Got to go with Portland, very big urban planners with a large emphasis on sustainability.

Bureau of Planning and Sustainability?

Environmental Services

In Portland, living the green American dream - CSMonitor.com

Portland Green Streets

Old 01-05-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Washington, DC is a very green city--from the expansive public transportation options, to the LEED building requirements, to the (controversial) plastic bag fee that was just implemented.

Plastic Bag fee lol?

Old 01-05-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I think NYC would qualify, it has the highest use of public transportation (and the largest Hybrid Bus fleet in North America), 6 different train systems (2 subway systems, 3 commuter rail systems, & Amtrak), hybrid taxis, etc. A lot of the new buildings going up are LEED (or something like that) certified and are very eco-friendly. NYC also has one of the highest percentages of parkland in US. NYC has been very successful in it's One-Million trees movement (about 1/3rd of the way there last time I checked), they even planted a lot of trees in my neighborhood which already has a ton of trees. Overall it's a very walkable city so a lot of people walk and bike here, as a matter of fact I think more bike lanes are being created. There's also "NYC 2030" or something like that, there's a lot of plans in that alone. This is about as much as I know, maybe someone else can expand this list lol.

I know there's a lot of other green cities in the country.
I actually seen where it was in the top 10. I forgot to keep the source then again I dont know how trusted that source was.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:42 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
Plastic Bag fee lol?
Grocers and retailers are required to charge 5¢ per plastic bag used in a transaction. The funds generated from the fee will go towards cleanup and maintenance of the Anacostia River here in DC.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:58 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
All of these cities are very green. Boston is green due to its high public transit ridership and walkability. The underground highway which passes through downtown has giant filters which remove pollution produced by cars passing through the tunnel...thus preventing harmful toxins from passing into our atmophere.

We have a very high percentage of parkland in our city and I believe all new major developments are required to be LEED-Platinum.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 01-05-2010 at 10:07 AM..

Old 01-05-2010, 10:49 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
I am confused. This is a list of ten cities and you seem to be asking about the top ten. Or, are you saying that this is the top ten list and are asking which one is the best among them?

Old 01-05-2010, 02:53 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,825 times
Houston is def. in the top 10, but is hindered by its "sprawl", traffic, and an insufficient(overall) PT system.

America's 3rd Greenest Skyline
In Depth: America's Greenest Skylines - Forbes.com
According to the Environmental Protection Agency, Houston has the third highest number in the country of energy-efficient commercial buildings.

Houston rates first among the nation’s 10 most populous cities in total acreage of parkland and second behind only San Diego in park acreage per capita, according to a 2007 study by The Trust for Public Land. And, i think 3rd or 4th over all major cities, but it includes cities like Albuquerque and Jacksonville.

The EPA's Green Power Partnership has hailed the City of Houston as the No. 1 municipal purchaser of green power in the nation and as a crucial leader in the alternative energy trend.

More than a third of the City of Houston's total electricity load is purchased from wind energy.

Houston is the Energy Capital of the World, so most companies here are investing in "green technology".

Green Houston - Learn about the Energy Efficient and Environmental Initiatives in Houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City